Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    hhmm just thinking here, I sync my calendar,contacts, and tasks with my computers at home too with outlook but don't use outlook for email so I don't have an exchange server at home. there wouldn't be a way to sync that would there? maybe I just need to stick to windows mobile as much as that pains me.
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    hhmm just thinking here, I sync my calendar,contacts, and tasks with my computers at home too with outlook but don't use outlook for email so I don't have an exchange server at home. there wouldn't be a way to sync that would there? maybe I just need to stick to windows mobile as much as that pains me.
    By "sync that", what are you referring to specifically?

You could/should be able to sync your home stuff to your work via the net instead of relying on your phone to be the go-between.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I'm hoping CESD at Pimlico Software will exercise his masterful talents and build a sync solution to his new local Pimlical desktop app. This might be the only solution (if it comes to fruition) for those in my position.
    Don't get your hopes up. CESD stated on the Pimlical list that he's tried multiple times to contact Palm about porting Pimilcal to WebOS and has had zero replies. As the original author of the Palm DateBk and it's ongoing DateBk series he's understandably miffed.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    You will be able to pull your email from your provider (i.e. comcast) to the Pre.

You can also use Google Sync to sync your Outlook information to Google. There are a lot of options for doing what you need to do.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post

You could/should be able to sync your home stuff to your work via the net instead of relying on your phone to be the go-between.
    due to the nature of my job I cannot sync my information to the web (such as google). I am not allowed to access the internet at work. I do use my phone as the middle man. because of this I purchased office 2007 for personal use and use outlook to manage everything for me. I would prefer not to use other programs because everything is very easy for me to just plug in and sync.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

sorry I didn't answer you. by "sync that" I mean sync my calendar contacts and tasks without using exchange server.
    I couldn't retrieve my email via my centro all morning
    Show of hands folks - Who says it's a troll??
    How about third party apps filling the void that a few are complaining about... I'm sure that is what will end up happening. If it doesn't fit your needs out of the box and you need it to do something it doesn't then don't buy it and wait or buy it and wait. Either way it is your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I'm hoping CESD at Pimlico Software will exercise his masterful talents and build a sync solution to his new local Pimlical desktop app. This might be the only solution (if it comes to fruition) for those in my position.
    I'm 100% with you on that one DateBook Pre!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. CESD stated on the Pimlical list that he's tried multiple times to contact Palm about porting Pimilcal to WebOS and has had zero replies. As the original author of the Palm DateBk and it's ongoing DateBk series he's understandably miffed.
    Money will often trump miffed. I suspect that there are a ton of folks ready to ante up for the DateBoo for the Pre!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    How about third party apps filling the void that a few are complaining about... I'm sure that is what will end up happening. If it doesn't fit your needs out of the box and you need it to do something it doesn't then don't buy it and wait or buy it and wait. Either way it is your decision.
    The frustrating thing is, why should we have to buy a third party app to fill the void for a program (Palm Desktop) that has traditionally been included with the device? Just feel that Palm is turning it's back on their devoted users in an attempt to attract new, younger customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    The frustrating thing is, why should we have to buy a third party app to fill the void for a program (Palm Desktop) that has traditionally been included with the device? Just feel that Palm is turning it's back on their devoted users in an attempt to attract new, younger customers.
    ...And their stock price thanks them for it.

/only partially tongue-in-cheek
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    No, I know that it's good business going after the younger customers....just feel left behind and unappreciated....it sucks getting old! (and no longer pursued by corporate America!)
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Show of hands folks - Who says it's a troll??
    wow I guess this forum is full of extremely judgmental people. sorry to offend. I have been a long time windows mobile user and thought you guys might be able to help me get acquainted with this new webos. I truly had questions about outlook and how the pre would work for someone who heavily relies on MS office products for work and home. I would never troll forums and thought my questions could be answered here. they were very valid questions from someone who isn't interested in using a web based system to manage my information.
  16.    #76  
    No, thanks I'll buy the Pre, but.. yeah thanks for your sage advice. But I happen to think Palm is listening, and I know others too desire local sync as a native feature. I think one of the key differences between the Pre and the Iphone is freedom. Freedom to side load apps on the Pre. Freedom to choose. I dont much care for the walled garden theory. To me, part of freedom is independence and security. Which is what many of us see in local sync. While the Pre is not yet perfect, I'll decline your invitation to use another phone.

In any case if you wish to rely on a cable for data transfer I suggest you hold off on the Pre until some third party makes a desktop transfer via USB application or look at many of the other products on the market that will provide the functionality you seek.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Money will often trump miffed. I suspect that there are a ton of folks ready to ante up for the DateBoo for the Pre!
    As I understand it they ignored his requests for development info, being an early developer, etc. Obviously once the dev kit is released he can have at it.

OTOH he's also looking at where the biggest return is for the next port of Pimlical. Looking at the numbers of units out there and potential sales I suspect that Blackberry is pretty high on his list. iPhone would be too if Apple wasn't so anal about competing applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    No, thanks I'll buy the Pre, but.. yeah thanks for your sage advice. But I happen to think Palm is listening, and I know others too desire local sync as a native feature. I think one of the key differences between the Pre and the Iphone is freedom. Freedom to side load apps on the Pre. Freedom to choose. I dont much care for the walled garden theory. To me, part of freedom is independence and security. Which is what many of us see in local sync. While the Pre is not yet perfect, I'll decline your invitation to use another phone.
    Liberty and security are diametrically opposed to each other, typically.

People desire a great many things with the Pre they aren't likely to get, so they'll need to get over. For me personally, it is not being able to use the many microSDHC cards I own.
    wow I guess this forum is full of extremely judgmental people. sorry to offend. I have been a long time windows mobile user and thought you guys might be able to help me get acquainted with this new webos. I truly had questions about outlook and how the pre would work for someone who heavily relies on MS office products for work and home. I would never troll forums and thought my questions could be answered here. they were very valid questions from someone who isn't interested in using a web based system to manage my information.
    I wasn't offended at all. However, it was your 5th post on the forum. After five posts about a device that is not even out yet, you decided that maybe you should just keep what you have.

I didn't (and still don't) see that as an "informed decision", but rather someone trolling.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, but don't think I am...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I am sorry if I appear to be trolling. In no way was I looking to argue or cause any kind of conflict. I began looking for an alternative to my phone only one week ago when I had to hard reset it again, for probably the 10th time. I came across some information on the Pre and have always been a fan of Palm. Only after reading this post did I realize that it doesn't sync with a cord using some type of desktop software. My number one priority in a smartphone is the ability to sync my work Outlook with my home Outlook easily. If the Pre doesn't have this capability, I have to rethink switching carriers mid-plan for a phone that may not be able to do this easily. I have not made a decision yet, but felt like people were saying that if what I need in a phone is not there, then I should keep what I have or look for a different phone. Sorry again, I was only wanting to find out for sure how I would accomplish what I need to with the Pre without using a web based system, like Google or Yahoo.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast