Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    In practice, it is about stealing your personal information and charging you for things that you don't need, and providing additional means of frustrating and irritating you.
    If the ads Google shows you, which I'm assuming is what you're referring to, bother you that much, then just block them!

And if they bother you that much and you haven't looked into blocking them, then you're just not trying very hard at this whole 'internet' thing.

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Don't spew your propaganda as fact.
    and
    I know the reasons they offer the cloud services...I know they glean aggregate data from me and target ads to me and it doesn't bother me because 1) I'm not very important and 2) they provide an immensely useful service to me.
    It's about privacy and anonymity... it is easy to underestimate the value of both.

...and if my point-of-view is "spewing propaganda" your point-of-view is ___???
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyEDB View Post
    If the ads Google shows you, which I'm assuming is what you're referring to, bother you that much, then just block them!
    Oh... I've blocked them all.

But I'm more concerned with what I wrote in my previous post, above.
    Don't have Exchange, nor do I wish to entrust my personal and SENSITIVE data to a remote server belonging to a company with whom I have no professional affiliation or confidence that my data will NEVER be copied/lost/used/etc. Today's level of technology cannot protect against every circumstance.
    I'm anxious to get a Pre, but will wait for a 3rd party to provide a local sync solution before allowing my full complement of data to be sync'd to Google's server.
    I'm hoping CESD at Pimlico Software will exercise his masterful talents and build a sync solution to his new local Pimlical desktop app. This might be the only solution (if it comes to fruition) for those in my position.
    I'll not soon become so comfortable and cavalier with sharing my personal life on the Web like today's 'teen's who Twitter, have Facebook or MySpace accounts and populate them with exceedingly personal information. It's WAY too risky these days. Corporate information leaked through a SINGLE Google mishap can trigger litigation suits faster than the bits falling out of those breached servers.
    Your thoughts folks?
    and
    It's about privacy and anonymity... it is easy to underestimate the value of both.
    You realize that it is the user that makes the choice to create and use facebook and google and yahoo et al accounts, right?

If the user doesn't want to share their data with the free services listed above (and others), they...wait for it...don't have to.

There are plenty of paid, secure, highly private cloud services one can utilize.

Here's a nice copy of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 you can use to set up your own cloud from home. It might be expensive, but privacy's worth it, right? It's still a cloud though.

If you're slightly less paranoid there are webhosts that will sell you an exchange account for a reasonable fee, and I'm sure there's other non-Microsoft products out there to use.

...and if my point-of-view is "spewing propaganda" your point-of-view is ___???
    Informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Corporate information leaked through a SINGLE Google mishap can trigger litigation suits faster than the bits falling out of those breached servers.
    Your thoughts folks?
    Why would you run your work information through Google?
    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    What exactly is the cloud service?
    May someone please explain.
    I know it has to do with getting your stuff from your pc to your phone.
    If you use google mail/docs/calendar, yahoo mail, hotmail, if you bank online, if you use Evernote or Remember the Milk, if you post pics to flickr, videos to YouTube, etc. you're already leveraging cloud services.

Syncing is the action of getting stuff from your PC to your phone, and it appears at this point that the Pre can sync with the cloud, but maybe not directly with your PC - which means your data needs to be on the internet somewhere before it can get to your phone. To some this is a concern, to others its "Meh."

Hope this helps.
    Oh... I've blocked them all.

But I'm more concerned with what I wrote in my previous post, above.
    Fair enough. Privacy and anonymity are both very valid concerns.

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Everyone should be aware of Google privacy policy to help stop the spread of misinformation.

About Gmail
    Agreed, this thread is full of misinformation.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Obviously no one HAS to use the cloud but it's sounding more and more with the Pre that Palm is not supplying any alternative. From what I've read on the board so far it sounds as if both the Data Transfer Assistant and their backup service are run through the internet. Maybe I'm mis-interpretting the information--or maybe there's only speculation at this point...Just wish that Palm would release some definitive information!
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    Obviously no one HAS to use the cloud but it's sounding more and more with the Pre that Palm is not supplying any alternative.
    Dare I say that's kind of the point of the Pre.

This thread is kind of like criticizing wireless routers for sending data through the air instead of securely by cat-5 cable. Sure, there's a tradeoff, but the advantages are obvious.
    Not all of us work for a corporation and/or have the luxury of a corporate Exchange service. I use standard Internet access and e-mail services by Comcast for my work needs. May not be ideal, but it's all that's available for now.
    My Palm + laptop are my work lifeline. If I'm to upgrade from my aging Palm T|X and Moto phone to the Pre, I'll have to choose b/t Google and Exchange. Since I don't have Exchange...
    Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    Well at least they were on it, but it still gives you pause about relying far too much on the Cloud.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Not all of us work for a corporation and/or have the luxury of a corporate Exchange service. I use standard Internet access and e-mail services by Comcast for my work needs. May not be ideal, but it's all that's available for now.
    My Palm + laptop are my work lifeline. If I'm to upgrade from my aging Palm T|X and Moto phone to the Pre, I'll have to choose b/t Google and Exchange. Since I don't have Exchange...
    Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Why do you have to choose between the two? Most phones can connect to pop3 email accounts and I think Comcast would qualify. So email's handled.

Are you trying to figure out how to sync a calendar?

I can vouch for Google calendar being nice, but obviously if you have "Corporate information" you place on your calendar, we need to figure something else out. Maybe a blackberry is for you-- but then you'd have to trust their server. You can rent an exchange account at many places online for a low monthly, also.

---

What it comes down to is that the Pre is not the right device for someone who does not want to or chooses not to sync any information via the internet. It is not a device that is made to be hard-wired.

Similarly, a wireless access point is not a device for someone who lacks a wireless card and must plug their computer into the network via cat5 attached to a NIC.

While there are secure options and ways to avoid potential privacy issues, TINSTAAFL applies.
    From the sounds of it some of you people wear tin foil hats at all time. Stop being so paranoid, if you want to be paranoid then stop sending private or personal info out via means you find unsafe. I for one can use google or gmail or any other free service which some of you deem unsafe just because of the fact I am not stupid enough to use it for data or info I care about.

But hey, enjoy your hat just do not get to close to any sort of microwaves, it might spark.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    can I just ask a simple question here? I use outlook at work for my calendar, contacts, and tasks. with my windows mobile phone I just plug it in and sync. can I do this with the pre or not? I ask because it is not possible for me to use google or any web based manager for this information. I am required to use outlook.
  17.    #57  
    DING DING DING! Hypo, you got it! Wireless routers, almost all, have a built in ADDITIONAL method to send/receive other than WiFi, ie Ethernet and/or USB. Enabling the Pre's usb to local sync would be a prudent ADDITIONAL method to send/receive data. Its not old tech, its smart.

Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    Dare I say that's kind of the point of the Pre.

This thread is kind of like criticizing wireless routers for sending data through the air instead of securely by cat-5 cable. Sure, there's a tradeoff, but the advantages are obvious.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    can I just ask a simple question here? I use outlook at work for my calendar, contacts, and tasks. with my windows mobile phone I just plug it in and sync. can I do this with the pre or not? I ask because it is not possible for me to use google or any web based manager for this information. I am required to use outlook.

You can't plug it in, but you can connect to it via your company's exchange server, wirelessly. No google required. I do this with my windows mobile phone already.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    DING DING DING! Hypo, you got it! Wireless routers, almost all, have a built in ADDITIONAL method to send/receive to buttress WiFi, ie Ethernet and/or USB. Enabling the Pre's usb to local sync would be a prudent ADDITIONAL method to send/receive data. Its not old tech, its smart.
    Routers have the ports on the back not as a backup, but because it's a feature most people want as they often have wired and wireless things in the same network. The analogy doesn't extend this direction, I'm afraid.

Wireless access points typically don't have such luxuries, for instance.

--

In any case if you wish to rely on a cable for data transfer I suggest you hold off on the Pre until some third party makes a desktop transfer via USB application or look at many of the other products on the market that will provide the functionality you seek.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ok thanks. I didn't realize tasks, calendar, and contacts were available over the exchange server. I don't sync work email though. hopefully there will be a way to specify that.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast