Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 114
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrickb View Post
    If gmail/the could goes down, all the cables and local syncing in the world wont get new messages on to the pre. Your computer won't be able to access gmail either.
    To piggy back on that...

    The same can be said for Exchange or your local computer via Outlook or Palm Desktop. You never had a crash or other system issue that prevented you from syncing???

    NO SYSTEM is full proof. That is why having copies of your data in multiple locations is important in the first place. The cloud is simply a different way of moving that data around to those different locations. It can be done without cables and on the fly without you thinking about it.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I don't use exchange, but continue to hear the "security" fears about the cloud. Security-wise, what is the difference in syncing your info with the cloud and exchange?
    When you use Exchange, you are connecting 'directly' over a very secure protocol. No outside company is seeing your data, presumably.

    With Google Sync, THEY see it (and sell advertisements based on who you are, your selections, your appointments, your emails, your dog's name, etc.)

    Thanks, but no thanks. I'm just pissed that I got used to using gmail as my 'fun' non-work account. I can't go back to a non-threaded, less convenient system now.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I don't use exchange, but continue to hear the "security" fears about the cloud. Security-wise, what is the difference in syncing your info with the cloud and exchange?
    Not sure what you're asking. Every email service is in "the cloud," whether it's Google, Yahoo, your ISP, your company's Exchange server, etc., etc. Even if you hosted your own email server, you'd still have to go through "the cloud" to communicate with anyone else.

    The only difference is that people can usually connect to Exchange servers over local networks, because Exchange servers tend to be corporate. However, I connect to my company's Exchange server over the Internet as well, and so it's no different from any other Internet email service when I do so.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    When you use Exchange, you are connecting 'directly' over a very secure protocol. No outside company is seeing your data, presumably.

    With Google Sync, THEY see it (and sell advertisements based on who you are, your selections, your appointments, your emails, your dog's name, etc.)

    Thanks, but no thanks. I'm just pissed that I got used to using gmail as my 'fun' non-work account. I can't go back to a non-threaded, less convenient system now.
    I don't see what the problem is. It's not like google is seeing your work email (unless you've set it specifically to retrieve or to be forwarded).

    I have a gmail account. I have a work account that uses exchange. The Pre will talk to both and pull stuff to my Pre, but it's not a triangle. There's no talk between google and exchange in this situation, unless you told the Pre to forward-push to the other service (if possible).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    When you use Exchange, you are connecting 'directly' over a very secure protocol. No outside company is seeing your data, presumably.

    With Google Sync, THEY see it (and sell advertisements based on who you are, your selections, your appointments, your emails, your dog's name, etc.)

    Thanks, but no thanks. I'm just pissed that I got used to using gmail as my 'fun' non-work account. I can't go back to a non-threaded, less convenient system now.
    Well stated, although I highly doubt not using Google Sync will subject you to any less advertisements from Google than someone who does. Maybe a little less targeted, but still about the same quantity wise.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  6. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #26  
    As far as security goes, you can set up gmail to use https.
  7.    #27  
    I think your missing my concern, which were as follows:

    1. Since the cache is accurate and complete as to all PIM, thats great, so cache solves the cloud failure, but..

    2. Today, I spent a half hour updating Memos and Calender entries on my desktop, only to leave the office, go to Court and while walking, hit goosync, only to find out google was down and all info I needed on my 755 was back on the desktop and of no use to me. I turned around, went back to the office and plugged my hot sync cable in and was in business. How would this have turned out next month when I have the Pre?

    I agree that having data in multiple places , even multiple clouds is handy and helpful. In the same way, have more than one method to move that data to the Pre is important. OTA sync should not be exclusive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    To piggy back on that...

    The same can be said for Exchange or your local computer via Outlook or Palm Desktop. You never had a crash or other system issue that prevented you from syncing???

    NO SYSTEM is full proof. That is why having copies of your data in multiple locations is important in the first place. The cloud is simply a different way of moving that data around to those different locations. It can be done without cables and on the fly without you thinking about it.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I, and apparently much of the free world, had no Google services all morning and early afternoon, including calendar and email. see Reports point to widespread Google outages | Digital Media - CNET News

    Just another reason why Cloud Sync CANNOT be exclusive and local usb cable sync should be directly supported by the the Pre and WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Well I for one have never read or herd the local cache described as:
    1. ALL pims
    2. ALL pim records.
    This is kinda of important to me.
    So, to be sure I'm following this, you're advising what CANNOT be done, and why Palm's plans should be done differently, additional support to old legacy devices for the new device, and new operating system, without fully understanding the device and operating system??

    Spock's been quoted recently on this forum, I'll do it again

    Fascinating!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I think your missing my concern, which were as follows:

    1. Since the cache is accurate and complete as to all PIM, thats great, so cache solves the cloud failure, but..

    2. Today, I spent a half hour updating Memos and Calender entries on my desktop, only to leave the office, go to Court and while walking, hit goosync, only to find out google was down and all info I needed on my 755 was back on the desktop and of no use to me. I turned around, went back to the office and plugged my hot sync cable in and was in business. How would this have turned out next month when I have the Pre?

    I agree that having data in multiple places , even multiple clouds is handy and helpful. In the same way, have more than one method to move that data to the Pre is important. OTA sync should not be exclusive.
    Your use of the Pre is reliant on the efficacy of the particular services you choose to use. Google's services have a known history of occasionally being offline.

    Therefore, if you willingly choose to utilize Google calendar et al. you implicitly accept the small but noticeable downtime where syncing will be impossible.

    What's interesting to me, though, is the seemingly useless extra step you take in writing to a local (outlook?) calendar then using goosync to pull from that calendar, to a google calendar, and then to your device's calendar. It seems like maybe setting up a home exchange (or similar) server might serve you better in this particular utilization.

    As for me, I would (and do) write directly to a google calendar. If google was down at the time, I would have then elected to enter the event(s) in my Pre' s calendar, knowing it would automatically be transferred to the google calendar as soon as the connection was available.
  10. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #30  
    Everyone should be aware of Google privacy policy to help stop the spread of misinformation.

    About Gmail
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrickb View Post
    If gmail/the could goes down, all the cables and local syncing in the world wont get new messages on to the pre. Your computer won't be able to access gmail either.
    This is absolutely true...but ANY email you get by ANY route is vulnerable to whatever mail server you happen to use going down.

    If $YOUR_SERVER goes down, all the cables and local syncing in the world won't get new messages on to the $YOUR_SMARTPHONE. Your computer won't be able to access $YOUR_EMAIL_ACCOUNT either.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Everyone should be aware of Google privacy policy to help stop the spread of misinformation.

    About Gmail
    I was looking for something like that earlier. It's really not bad as everyone makes it sound.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Everyone should be aware of Google privacy policy to help stop the spread of misinformation.

    About Gmail
    Thanks.

    And to add: Nowhere does it say you're required to utilize google's services in any capacity with the Pre.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    2. Today, I spent a half hour updating Memos and Calender entries on my desktop, only to leave the office, go to Court and while walking, hit goosync, only to find out google was down and all info I needed on my 755 was back on the desktop and of no use to me. I turned around, went back to the office and plugged my hot sync cable in and was in business. How would this have turned out next month when I have the Pre?
    The only surefire way to guarantee that your info is on your device, whether that device is a Treo or a Pre, is to enter it on the device. What if you had forgotten your sync cable at home? The end result would have been the same (data on the desktop and not on your device) today as if there had been a 'cloud failure' next month when you're using the Pre.


    sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

    The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
  15. #35  
    Cloud is not about backup or syncing, though it could do both as a matter of providing access to data and specific application functionality. That's in theory.

    In practice, it is about stealing your personal information and charging you for things that you don't need, and providing additional means of frustrating and irritating you.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    In practice, it is about stealing your personal information and charging you for things that you don't need, and providing additional means of frustrating and irritating you.
    I don't think you know what "cloud" means. Is your exchange server stealing your personal information?

    Regardless, nothing is forcing people to use it.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Today, I spent a half hour updating Memos and Calender entries on my desktop, only to leave the office, go to Court and while walking, hit goosync, only to find out google was down and all info I needed on my 755 was back on the desktop and of no use to me. I turned around, went back to the office and plugged my hot sync cable in and was in business. How would this have turned out next month when I have the Pre?

    I agree that having data in multiple places , even multiple clouds is handy and helpful. In the same way, have more than one method to move that data to the Pre is important. OTA sync should not be exclusive.
    I would have synced as soon as I entered all of that data, definitely before I left. That way any issues would have been noticed immediately. I digress though, as that isn't your main point...

    As I said before, the ultimate solution is a way to make you local PC part of the cloud. Something similar to Google Sync, but instead would talk to an app on your Pre directly and exchange data via Outlook or other PIM software. Updates would then happen instantly between the Pre and all cloud sources (local/personal Outlook, Exchange, Google, Facebook, etc) without additional effort. There aren't any apps that will be available from Palm by launch time that will do that (that I know of), although I'm certain there will be several 3rd party apps available sometime after the SDK is released publicly. There is too much demand (hence, too much money) for it not to happen!

    Remember, I'm not saying that it is a bad idea to store your data locally!!! IMO, the more places your data is stored the safer it is (as far as being deleted/destroyed) I'm simply commenting on the METHOD of syncing...in this case the cloud vs cables.
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/14/2009 at 02:21 PM.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    I don't think you know what "cloud" means. Is your exchange server stealing your personal information?

    Regardless, nothing is forcing people to use it.
    Ditto!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    ...
    In practice, it is about stealing your personal information and charging you for things that you don't need, and providing additional means of frustrating and irritating you.
    Really? That's what they're doing with our corporate server? Wow, I never knew...
  20. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Cloud is not about backup or syncing, though it could do both as a matter of providing access to data and specific application functionality. That's in theory.

    In practice, it is about stealing your personal information and charging you for things that you don't need, and providing additional means of frustrating and irritating you.
    To me:
    In practice, it is about giving free access, by displaying targeted ads, to allow me quick and easy access to all my data and information.

    It has never frustrated or irritated me, in fact, it's made my life quite a bit more organized and easier to manage. Don't spew your propaganda as fact.

    I know the reasons they offer the cloud services...I know they glean aggregate data from me and target ads to me and it doesn't bother me because 1) I'm not very important and 2) they provide an immensely useful service to me.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions