Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont know if this was posted before, but this looks amazing, and as he says:
    For those who have squawked about the lack of storage card slot on the Palm Pre, consider what you could do with a terrabyte hard drive of your own goodies accessible wirelessly!
    Personal Cloud Computing PrePoint

Pogoplug — Access your external hard drive from anywhere on the Internet
    I have only recently seen info on the Pogoplug. My first question is this: doesn't this give the operators of mypogoplug.com full access to everything on your hard drive, and perhaps to everything on your home network? Would this not make their site an attractive target for web site hackers? Does anyone know the details about how you would maintain security with this device?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    1. i'm disturbed that my data goes through pogosite.com.

2. i'm disturbed by the name. can anyone guess why?
    Hehe, yeah, I had accidents with pogo stick as a kid.
    Yea, this isn't making your own cloud... it's adding to pogo's cloud.

Things that are "zero configuration" (think Apple) always have a big gotcha that I'm not sure how people can live with.
    OOooh. Does it have to be an external HD? Can I keep my gaming PC that has an essentially blank 1 terabyte drive online 24/7 and use that as my cloud?! Now I am starting to get excited again With retractable USB to MicroUSB cords that don't seem a whole lot bigger than a microSD to Fullsize SD adapter (ie. should fit in a wallet), and not having to have all of my personal info available on the net... I may be getting excited again I know it's 2009, but I still would like to see IR In fact, I had to use it the other day, and had NO other option besides IR. Either way, with retractable USB cords, and if this is true, a personal "cloud" server... I may be game
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Yea, this isn't making your own cloud... it's adding to pogo's cloud.

Things that are "zero configuration" (think Apple) always have a big gotcha that I'm not sure how people can live with.

I think what you guys might want is this then, it's also half the price:

NAS Adapter from Addonics
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    All this is great. However, this is just providing me with a way to do what I could do out of the box, only wirelessly. It still doesn't resolve the issue that many Treo owners have; how they can backup/restore the entire system.

What bothers me about the Pre is that Palm seems to be abandoning many of the things that made the Treo so enticing. The ability to easily load programs, backup all the info on the device, and re-load that info on another Treo as needed, with the click of a button.

I understand that info can be transferred to a local computer via the USB cable. However, this method is rather clumsy and time consuming as opposed to Hotsync. I also understand that info can be "stored" in the cloud. But as many have already stated, this method seems less secure for sensitive data.

It really does seem that this initial WebOS offering is geared more toward the casual user than the business user.

While I have some issues with my 755, and I've gone through 6 of them in 2 years. None of the replacements were due to abuse or accidents. I've had two just brick, 2 lost speaker volume, 1 the mic and speaker failed, and one the "C" key stopped working. But throughout, it has always been a breeze to restore the programs along with the data. I fear that will no longer be the case with the Pre. If the device is stabe, and built well, this may be less of an issue. If, however, the Pre is not as reliable as we hope, changing the phone out and restoring everything to the device might be quite time consuming. Not to mention frustrating.

I just feel there is too much focus on competeing with the iPhone on the iPhone's terms, and not enough focus on creating a revolutionary PALM experience.

Anyway, just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    All this is great. However, this is just providing me with a way to do what I could do out of the box, only wirelessly. It still doesn't resolve the issue that many Treo owners have; how they can backup/restore the entire system.
    The sprint insider said that Palm has a backup solution.

What bothers me about the Pre is that Palm seems to be abandoning many of the things that made the Treo so enticing. The ability to easily load programs,
    App Catalog?

backup all the info on the device, and re-load that info on another Treo as needed, with the click of a button.

I understand that info can be transferred to a local computer via the USB cable. However, this method is rather clumsy and time consuming as opposed to Hotsync. I also understand that info can be "stored" in the cloud. But as many have already stated, this method seems less secure for sensitive data.

It really does seem that this initial WebOS offering is geared more toward the casual user than the business user.
    You have the ability to have your own exchange server as that "cloud" so it would as secure as you made it. You don't have to trust people like google.
    Just read the article on the Addonics NAS Adapter at the link deesugar provided. It says that those off the LAN can access the drive via FTP. Does the Pre (and/or do other mobile phones) offer FTP transfers? I've never tried that and don't know how I would do it on my Treo.

Also, I don't think Twisted-D's suggestion that Pre users can provide their own exchange servers is an appropriate response to fwinst's desire for something comparable to Hotsync in terms of ease and expense.

Simple, local synchronization and simple backup to removable memory are not only things we are accustomed to, but they are also things that are not at all obsolete. They just haven't been announced as part of Palm's current plans. Perhaps in future webOS devices these omissions will be corrected. And synch is still a possibility for the Pre.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Dr J,
    You can do VPN and FTP with the current Treo's out now, I see no reason why the Pre wouldn't make this even easier.

Technically you can configure a folder or a USB drive off your computer to be a mapped drive over the Internet. The iPhone has a good example of this using WebDAV

Avatron Software Products
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think what you guys might want is this then, it's also half the price:

NAS Adapter from Addonics
    Good find. I've already got an ASUS wl500g Premium router with USB ports, tho.... so I'm good on both NAS & network printing. I love quality networks. They make me cheese.

Agreed. Depending on how this works, I was actually considering skipping the phone. Can't accept phone calls in USB mode? Are you serious, Palm?

You can do VPN and FTP with the current Treo's out now, I see no reason why the Pre wouldn't make this even easier.
    Because VPN and FTP weren't built-in to the PalmOS, and they prolly won't be built-into WebOS either. If they're not, it'll only take a couple days to add that stuff, tho. WebOS = simplicity x 100

Technically you can configure a folder or a USB drive off your computer to be a mapped drive over the Internet. The iPhone has a good example of this using WebDAV

Avatron Software Products
    BAM... and in that case, USB data mode really shouldn't ever be needed. And the Touchstone minus data cable wasn't a fluke. Palm really intends for people to sync wirelessly all the time.
    I'm really interested in getting the pogoplug and using it as this thread describes. It sounds great to have a network attached hard drive available to me no matter where I am and accessible from all my devices.

One thought I had though is whether this is possible to do with a web hosting service. I currently use site5.com which offers very inexpensive unlimited storage and transfer (~$5/month). It seems to me there must be a php or rails script or something that someone has put together that can turn my web host into a personal NAS and media hub. It's the same basic idea as the pogoplug, but taken one step further - why should I even have the hard drive at my house? I just want the storage. The best thing about pogoplug is the software and accessibility it offers. If I could find something like that and just install it on my own webhost - that would be even better.

Anybody know of anything?
    I just found this: Jinzora - Jinzora :: Free Your Media!. It is mostly what I'm talking about, but it is just a media streaming server. Doesn't look like it can be used as a NAS or anything like that. Something that serves media, but can also be accessed through a drive-mapping to just store arbitrary files as well would be perfect...
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    I'm really interested in getting the pogoplug and using it as this thread describes. It sounds great to have a network attached hard drive available to me no matter where I am and accessible from all my devices.

One thought I had though is whether this is possible to do with a web hosting service. I currently use site5.com which offers very inexpensive unlimited storage and transfer (~$5/month). It seems to me there must be a php or rails script or something that someone has put together that can turn my web host into a personal NAS and media hub. It's the same basic idea as the pogoplug, but taken one step further - why should I even have the hard drive at my house? I just want the storage. The best thing about pogoplug is the software and accessibility it offers. If I could find something like that and just install it on my own webhost - that would be even better.

Anybody know of anything?
    This is a great niche that someone should fill. Palm is approaching this with the attitude that we want our information in silos. They think I want my email on Yahoo, my calendar on Google, my tasks on an Exchange server, my backup to a Palm service, my music from Pandora, my contacts through Facebook, and so on. They think I want to keep those things separate, while still accessing them all from my Pre.

I can't speak for everybody, but if someone provided me with a single service that gave me a domain, an email address, exchange service with calendar, tasks, and contacts, file storage, photo albums, and a blog, all for about $10/month, I would jump at that. Unfortunately, nobody provides all of those services for a low price.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that WebDAV becomes a common tool for the Pre. If you run your own web server, you can easily add/enable WebDAV extensions and then, hopefully, provide your own cloud. You can mount your filesystem (or a portion) via WebDAV. I am hoping that there will be Pre backup programs using WebDAV. GroupDAV and CalDAV would be great extensions to enable contacts and calendar.

I like the cloud approach and I'm happy to say goodbye to Hotsync. Like many here, I want my own cloud. I think Palm is smart to start with support for Google and Yahoo and exchange as that covers 90% of the people. For the rest of us, we'll have to encourage some creative, like-minded software developers to sell us some cool tools. It's coming, and I'm patient. I'll wait and see what the Palm provided solutions really do in terms of backup and cloud sync, then I'll start looking for ways to fill in the rest. I expect that the Pre won't do everything I want right out of the chute. But that's OK. Just cuz my 755 currently does everything I expect it to do doesn't mean I expect the Pre to do all those same things. This is a paradigm shift. It opens up huge new possibilities and they will be fun to explore. The Pre isn't the be-all end-all of everything I want, but it sure looks like a great platform to start building that on.

The big question that I have is how will specific apps (like splashID or Bonsai or whatever replaces them) be able to sync databases to client apps either on my laptop/desktop or on the web. I'm trying to think beyond the hotsync model and imagine new possibilities. SyncML is a "standard" but that is still kind of "old school" and more-or-less just applying hotsync to a network. What will Palm be providing in Synergy as base primitives that ISVs can use to synchronize to the cloud and will those same libraries be available for Unix/Windows/Apple applications to use on personal computers? Some vendors will write software that only syncs to their pay as you go web service. yuck! I'm hoping that others will come in and fill the demand with tools that sync to your own personal cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    ...The big question that I have is how will specific apps (like splashID or Bonsai or whatever replaces them) be able to sync databases to client apps either on my laptop/desktop or on the web....
    Here is the direction that SplashData is going with SplashID. They are calling it SplashID Live. You can see how this might port very easily to a WebOS client syncing with the "cloud". They have done a really good job of addressing all of the security issues but I'm still not convinced that I want to trust my most sensitive data to be stored by SplashData. Maybe it will just take some time for me to get use to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    This is a great niche that someone should fill. Palm is approaching this with the attitude that we want our information in silos. They think I want my email on Yahoo, my calendar on Google, my tasks on an Exchange server, my backup to a Palm service, my music from Pandora, my contacts through Facebook, and so on. They think I want to keep those things separate, while still accessing them all from my Pre.

I can't speak for everybody, but if someone provided me with a single service that gave me a domain, an email address, exchange service with calendar, tasks, and contacts, file storage, photo albums, and a blog, all for about $10/month, I would jump at that. Unfortunately, nobody provides all of those services for a low price.
    The problem is that each of the sites you listed is currently the "best" at what they do (by best, I mean most popular). Someone could come in and put all those services in one package and try to sell it, but in all likely hood, people would still rather use the free service on the popular sites. Besides that, name recognition helps a product like the Pre. There's nothing wrong with taking the best/most popular of a product and putting it all in one place.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdag View Post
    The problem is that each of the sites you listed is currently the "best" at what they do (by best, I mean most popular). Someone could come in and put all those services in one package and try to sell it, but in all likely hood, people would still rather use the free service on the popular sites. Besides that, name recognition helps a product like the Pre. There's nothing wrong with taking the best/most popular of a product and putting it all in one place.
    There's nothing wrong with providing commonly known and widely used products of third parties, but you should leave the possibility to add your own party that uses the same protocols. I have my mail on a private domain, and luckily I can sync that via IMAP. I have my calendar on a lesser known, but free product. It is using iCalendars and CalDAV, just as Google. If the functionality is there, why can't I change the server's parameter?

Give it a thought.
    I think a more interesting solution would be

a. able to offsite hold the apps data/binaries (like a virtual storage) because devices do not have capacity..and we can run the apps via web through the mobile/pad device. THat means when you install the application, it gives u the option of storing in the device or via the virtual cloud but to the device it's still registered as an application.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast