Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Heard from the PogoPlug folks. They are working on a Pre client.

Target is 3 months.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I ordered one of these today.

I still have an old 80 GB external drive that I used for backup when that was a large drive. I may have to get a newer drive due to the age of this one.

Now the race is on, will I get a Pre first or will my Pogo bounce in first
    Tom
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Heard from the PogoPlug folks. They are working on a Pre client.

Target is 3 months.
    If the target is 3 months, does that mean we should all start clamoring for it to be availble by the end of May? And demand advertising for it now?

Just looking for a little consistency here...
    I think we should just skip right to calling it a failure!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If the target is 3 months, does that mean we should all start clamoring for it to be availble by the end of May? And demand advertising for it now?

Just looking for a little consistency here...
    This can be used thru a web browser now. That means PC, Mac, or Pre. The client will make it appear as part of the Pre file system. Just a higher level of integration.

I'm loading my Treo stuff on my drive now.

Ship date for the Pogo is end of this month for my back order. Some have them now and are having good experiences.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I think we should just skip right to calling it a failure!
    Which it are you talking about?
    Tom
  7.    #27  
    This can be used thru a web browser now. That means PC, Mac, or Pre. The client will make it appear as part of the Pre file system. Just a higher level of integration...
    I hope you know I was being facetious. I understood what it was you were talking about, and think it's a good idea, and great that they are going to do a client for the Pre.

On other threads, they were talking about syncing, using the Touchstone, and on yet another thread, they were talking about using the USB connector for addtional file storage. At that time, I thought (on both) "Or, just use the WiFi, and go to a server at home".

This would be that. I think this whole concept is so new to folks, it will take some time to get out of old thinking, and into new. I like seeing stuff like the Pogo, and think even newer things are coming.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    These things look like they are tailored for pictures and music. They appear to try to grab files from nodes on your local network. Looks like overkill for backup.

This whole area is new enough that it may take us a while to sort things out.

I like the idea of having a simpler backup device like the Pogo. External drives are cheap. A device not tied to somebody's proprietary software appeals to me.
    Isn't PogoPlug tied to somebody's proprietary Web site?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Isn't PogoPlug tied to somebody's proprietary Web site?
    Actually it uses industry standard VPN for the backup connection.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    so will zimbra completely sync? doesnt it act like an exchange server?
    These things look like they are tailored for pictures and music. They appear to try to grab files from nodes on your local network. Looks like overkill for backup.

This whole area is new enough that it may take us a while to sort things out.

I like the idea of having a simpler backup device like the Pogo. External drives are cheap. A device not tied to somebody's proprietary software appeals to me.
    It's not overkill for backup. I have a similar setup with a NAS that is web accessible, and I have it sitting at my parent's house 400 miles away. My pictures, key files and documents, etc... are all backed up over the broadband connection to that NAS. If everything in our house burns down, those files will still be safe.

Think of it like offsite backup.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12