Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Ongoing discussion on that very topic: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...op-google.html
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Ongoing discussion on that very topic: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...op-google.html
    I think the thread you referenced deals with a one time export of contacts to Google. Here the OP raises a different issue, to-wit: SYNCING palm desktop with the Pre.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    From what I can tell, there'll be an emulator that will allow the use of my current Agendus Pro app, in which case, wouldn't the Missing Sync that I'm using now sync my Entourage calendar and contacts the same way it does now? If this would work, then the USB or BT connection should do fine for syncing.

If that will work seamlessly it would certainly take care of my biggest issues.

GeneL

MacPro/Treo 755P
    1. has anyone done a test run of this yet?
    2. what about my Memos?
    3. do you think this will be *THE* LOCAL SYNC solution Palm offers/suggests at the Pre launch?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. has anyone done a test run of this yet?
    2. what about my Memos?
    3. do you think this will be *THE* LOCAL SYNC solution Palm offers/suggests at the Pre launch?
    I don't think it will be THE one. I think there will be a separate one at or near the launch, probably not by Palm. This way you won't need to be using an app within an app to do this. One app to sync.

And I think there will be multiple ones down to the road to choose from.
    this is a kludge. a kludge within a kludge. a kludge wrapped in a kludge inside a kludge. and i don't like scrambled data for breakfast. i hope palm offers a more simple, clean, easy, straightforward, direct, and elegant local sync solution. i don't want my data to have to do somersaults, cartwheels, and back flips and bounce around all over the internets just to friggin sync. too much margin for error. i'm not going to use this kludge. i can't. i won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I think the thread you referenced deals with a one time export of contacts to Google. Here the OP raises a different issue, to-wit: SYNCING palm desktop with the Pre.
    yes. one time data dump vs. continuous sync. two different issues.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    this is a kludge. a kludge within a kludge. a kludge wrapped in a kludge inside a kludge. and i don't like scrambled data for breakfast. i hope palm offers a more simple, clean, easy, straightforward, direct, and elegant local sync solution. i don't want my data to have to do somersaults, cartwheels, and back flips and bounce around all over the internets just to friggin sync. too much margin for error. i'm not going to use this kludge. i can't. i won't.
    But what if this was the only way?!
    Personily I think Palm has been trying to orphan the desk top for a long time, so I am not counting on them haveing another solution.
    I use Companionlink to sync my Palm desktop with my PPC, I have no problems with it just works.
    But it will not sync notes.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    What a shame if there's no way to sync my contacts and calendar using a direct syncing a la the Missing Sync method that I've been using for years now.

That would be a deal breaker for me. As others have said above, I wouldn't want all my information floating about on the internet.

The very thought of that pours cold water on my enthusiasm.

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    so is this the only way to sync the palm pre with your palm desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by phone queen View Post
    so is this the only way to sync the palm pre with your palm desktop.
    Once you get the Pre, why bother with Palm Desktop anymore?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Once you get the Pre, why bother with Palm Desktop anymore?
    You have asked this same question in another thread.Think of it like this perhaps: Have you ever seen a huge class A motor home driving down the road? These RVs are really something, very comfortable. Have you ever seen one going down the road towing a smaller car? Well, to me, that smaller car (lets say its a Mini Cooper) is a Pre and the big RV is my desktop. Like the RV, my desktop has everything I need and its comfortable and reasonably secure. However, as I travel, there are many times when, because of space and convenience, the Motor home doesn't make sense to drive, its too big to park downtown, or to run a simple errand. So, I simply get into my Mini Cooper which, while not as large and comfortable as my RV, does a great job when I'm in busy traffic, when I just want to get away quickly and go. Now, I wouldn't want to live in the Mini Cooper, or even take the my family and all of our stuff on a cross country trip in the Mini Cooper. The Pre too, is mobile and cool, but I need something bigger, more comfortable and powerful to use when I'm not on the go.

Edit: I guess I'd add that local hot sync is the tow bar hitch that keeps them together.
    Last edited by eekinsman; 04/17/2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Did I? I must be losing it...

Honestly, I've always been more comfortable handling my calender on my Trēo - reminds me of the days I kept a small paper agenda/calendar. That said, there are better (imho) programs for handling your calendar than Palm Desktop. Like Google Calendar, with which you'll be syncing regardless.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I've been using google calendar on top of Palm dektop for about a year via goosync. I like google calendar as way to further back-up my data and to experience the cloud. Also, since Palm desktop is not really networkable, google calendar fills that gap I was gonna say that I wish google calendar had offline viewing, I just checked and what do ya know, they do! Well, if they could really master tasks/to do and memo's like Palm Desktop, then that would be something. Any suggestions, Subscription free preferred.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    You have asked this same question in another thread.Think of it like this perhaps: Have you ever seen a huge class A motor home driving down the road? These RVs are really something, very comfortable. Have you ever seen one going down the road towing a smaller car? Well, to me, that smaller car (lets say its a Mini Cooper) is a Pre and the big RV is my desktop. Like the RV, my desktop has everything I need and its comfortable and reasonably secure. However, as I travel, there are many times when, because of space and convenience, the Motor home doesn't make sense to drive, its too big to park downtown, or to run a simple errand. So, I simply get into my Mini Cooper which, while not as large and comfortable as my RV, does a great job when I'm in busy traffic, when I just want to get away quickly and go. Now, I wouldn't want to live in the Mini Cooper, or even take the my family and all of our stuff on a cross country trip in the Mini Cooper. The Pre too, is mobile and cool, but I need something bigger, more comfortable and powerful to use when I'm not on the go.

Edit: I guess I'd add that local hot sync is the tow bar hitch that keeps them together.
    Well Said!!
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Now this site is pricing the Pre (how in the world would they know), but they also are listing sync software as an accessory that comes with the Pre.

Palm Pre Smartphone at MobileCityOnline.com
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Just noticed that it says it has video capture as well.
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts

Ooooohhhh. I like this. OK, so the tow bar is HotSync. Then the Cloud would kind of be like driving the Mini Cooper (filled with your most prized possessions) behind the RV, while blindfolded, and using a walkie-talkie to get directions from the driver of the RV. If the Mini-Cooper misses a turn, crashes and burns, you can get another Mini Cooper. You can even put the same accessories in it, but your prize possessions (files) are still gone.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Ooooohhhh. I like this. OK, so the tow bar is HotSync. Then the Cloud would kind of be like driving the Mini Cooper (filled with your most prized possessions) behind the RV, while blindfolded, and using a walkie-talkie to get directions from the driver of the RV. If the Mini-Cooper misses a turn, crashes and burns, you can get another Mini Cooper. You can even put the same accessories in it, but your prize possessions (files) are still gone.
    That's funny!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast