Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    If you don't know how to make your 755p auto sync with a google account through the air, you have no business coming to any thread and insulting people, vis a vis their ability to adopt change. There's a lot more to say but frankly, its not worth it. You seem to have some trolling/baiting tendencies that you may want to keep in check.

Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    You people are crazy, why in the world would you want to sync through USB when you can sync through the air?

Every day I use my treo 755p I hate it more, I see my friends walking around with their blackberries and iPhones, synced automatically to their google calendar / contact book.

You guys have to leave your USB comfort zone and try to imagine a world where you meet somebody in the street, enter his contact information to your phone, then drop the phone and break it, come home - and ALL your information is waiting for you in gmail. You can email the friend you met immediately telling him how lucky you are to have a palm pre that syncs over the air and how you still have his information even though you broke your phone 5 minutes after you met him.

Then you can go get a new pre, enter your user name and password and like magic - your info is back on it.

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST - CLOUD SYNC IS THE FUTURE

GET USE TO IT.

That said - YES - Palm has said in many places that USB sync will be possible.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I don't have Gmail accounts, I actually use my own domain names and hosting for my e-mail accounts (about 10 of them) that I need to check once in a while while I'm away from a computer. I don't currently synch my e-mail on my 800w but I do synch other data with SplashID and Outlook and I also like to be able to remotely operate my phone using MyMobiler. I don't mind hooking up my phone to my desktop or laptop when needed.

I haven't had the situation where I lost information because my phone broke before I got synched up and wouldn't use that as a reason to switch totally to online synching.

I'm interested in the Pre because of the format and features but also leary of some of the limitations regarding memory and connective flexibility. I'll be waiting plenty of time after it comes out to see what apps develop and how people's real life experiences prove out. I'm very happy with the 800w other than the screen size. I'll stay tuned.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    what's frustrating is we have no details on all of our PRE Email and PIM/Sync options so it's difficult to prepare. i have no idea if i'll be using Gmail or Outlook Express/ISP or Yahoo Mail or MyPalm for my email and i have no idea where i will sync my PIM data and how. it depends on what works best with PRE and what services are offered and supported and also at what cost. so i have no idea of what my set up will be three months from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    That said - YES - Palm has said in many places that USB sync will be possible.
    Can you give some sources? I missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You and me both...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    You and me both...
    Desktop Sync Software Coming to Palm's webOS
    Companion Link ≠ Palm
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    True that. But its a solution for people.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    True that. But its a solution for people.
    True. Whenever it comes out.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    If you don't know how to make your 755p auto sync with a google account through the air, you have no business coming to any thread and insulting people, vis a vis their ability to adopt change. There's a lot more to say but frankly, its not worth it. You seem to have some trolling/baiting tendencies that you may want to keep in check.
    For anyone wondering what hes talking about, check out GooSync
    https://www.goosync.com

The free version only updates your calendar but I can attest that it works and its pretty cool. If you upgrade you can get contacts and calendar sync'd
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    yet another paid option for something that should be and has been free since Palm's inception.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Google probably would've offered a solution but the Palm installed base is just not there anymore, not worth it to them.

Google Sync on blackberry however works flawlessly and I look forward to it working on the Pre as well.
    fyi - CAUTION - CompanionLink for Google with Palm Desktop F*ed up some of my Calendar entries and categories.
    To me, this is great news. It all depends, of course, but once the bugs are out, hopefully CL would actually synch with Palm Desktop. CL is NOT the app, merely the conduit TO the app. That's what the link at Brighthand says, anyway. Indeed, that's fantastic news.
    Last edited by Zorro1; 05/11/2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Correction
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    yet another paid option for something that should be and has been free since Palm's inception.
    Since Palm's inception? The technology wasn't there in 1996.

The idea of doing stuff over the air wasn't really decided until RIM started...and they charge customers for that ability.

The Pre is going to be the first to do all of this out of the box for free (that I know of).

And the GooSync works fine for free.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    we're talking about desktop sync. Palm Desktop has been a part of Palm and was a good reason for choosing a Palm device over others like the cheapo Casio and Sharp organizers back in the day. Palm has always synced with a PC and has synced everything on the Palm along with providing conduits for 3rd party vendors. With goosync you have to pay to sync your contacts and tasks, and that doesn't include memos. Nice try though.

Free goosync only lets you sync appts 30 days in advance. That kinda sucks too. I have quite a few appointments that are 2-3 months out. What would happen if my phone went down and all those future appts never made it to a google calendar? There's all these limitations with these "cloud" offerings. What happens to old appts? Do they only archive so far back? I have appts that are almost 10yrs old in my calendar that I reference from time to time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    we're talking about desktop sync. Palm Desktop has been a part of Palm and was a good reason for choosing a Palm device over others like the cheapo Casio and Sharp organizers back in the day. Palm has always synced with a PC and has synced everything on the Palm along with providing conduits for 3rd party vendors. With goosync you have to pay to sync your contacts and tasks, and that doesn't include memos. Nice try though.

Free goosync only lets you sync appts 30 days in advance. That kinda sucks too. I have quite a few appointments that are 2-3 months out. What would happen if my phone went down and all those future appts never made it to a google calendar? There's all these limitations with these "cloud" offerings. What happens to old appts? Do they only archive so far back? I have appts that are almost 10yrs old in my calendar that I reference from time to time.
    AMEN BRUTHA!!! Plus, I do NOT want my personal calendar appointments syncing to the cloud OR to my corporate exchange server, thank you. It's nobody's business but mine if I have a rectal exam next week. (Glad I don't)
    Well, while I agree that Palm is leaving us in the dust, I guess I'm so happy that there will be a GOOD solution other than some cloud thing or setting up my own server, that paying $50 for it will just be the cost of the Pre. No biggie, and this from a tight accountant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Well, while I agree that Palm is leaving us in the dust, I guess I'm so happy that there will be a GOOD solution other than some cloud thing or setting up my own server, that paying $50 for it will just be the cost of the Pre. No biggie, and this from a tight accountant!
    I'm not sure how many folks have considered this, but when you sync to your PC, you're doing the "setting up my own server" thing, just on a very limited "on demand" basis.
    I love Palm Desktop and have set up Companion Link for Google to sync Desktop to Google and back to the Pre. However when I make my first attempt to sync, I continually get a request to type the "word in the box" alternately with a request to type my google password which I know is correct. Can anyone help me get the Pre to sync like Companion Link says it will. I must be missing something ????

Thanks for any help:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast