Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    prereferee, I apologize. Frankly, I was trying to avoid another super long post, which obviously is not a big issue for you. I did truly want to respond to the crutch comment, but is was unfair for me to isolate it. As to the rest of your reply, I'm perfectly happy to see 3rd party solutions to any shortcomings. So, great no debate then heh?

Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Ummm.....Wow. Way to totally misrepresent my argument there by taking a fragment of a sentence out of context. Out of my 530 word post, you took umbrage with 9 words, not even a full sentence; you found 1.6% objectionable, and even then I am not sure you understood the full context. If you want to disagree with my arguments, feel free to do so, I am more than willing to discuss and debate and change my mind, but at least try and take in the whole argument not the McNuggets.

I said options are good, but that Palm doesn't need to be the provider of all of them. They need to focus on building the best device to meet the needs of the most people, compromise to make it work well and be cohesive so that more people can use it. If there are things people want not included, this is where third party solutions come in.

The crutch argument was talking about long-term. I didn't use DOS programs in windows 98, but there was the option to do so included by Microsoft. Now they have taken away that functionality and I would guess 99.9% of people don't miss it much. In the same way, as WebOS becomes a more robust platform, the cloud becomes more prevalent, and home servers more numerous in the years to come as trends seem to indicate, the concept of manual hot syncing is likely to be relevant to a smaller and smaller segment of the population.

If other developers want to develop for individual subsections of the population with different needs, then great, but the expectation that Palm needs to develop to meet the needs of everyone would lead to the most unusable devices known to man. Third parties can fill the gap if there is a market for it. As you note exclusivity is bad, but Palm isn't forcing exclusivity, they are encouraging developers to fill the gaps the market sees.

As I said, I am more than willing to debate and discuss this at length but I will only do so in an intellectually honest manner that takes into account the entirety of the argument.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    as others have mentioned, google is for calendar and contacts. you still have memos and tasks to deal with. people also mentioned financial and other programs that utilized the sync conduit to sync up with their respective sesktop info. The comment of 'well that softwared doesn't exost yet for the Pre, so...." is BS. Yeah, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it doesn't seem like the right attitude to take there. Providing a sync conduit for 3rd parties to hop on would seem to make sense for financial programs. Unless the cloud people expect us to be comfortable allowing a 3rd party to access our online financial info. Don't see that happening.

I never said transitioning to the cloud was bad. Going cold turkey and having to rely on 3rd party support for something that was native for 13yrs doesn't make sense. Managing your personal data is a bit different than the option of a card slot or built in storage.
    I agree and frankly, as to Palm's memory choices, while I strongly disagree and wont stop saying so, IF those choices improve Palm's standing and health, via more profits and sales (built in obsolescence) than I understand. But total lack of local hot sync is anther issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Managing your personal data is a bit different than the option of a card slot or built in storage.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    prereferee, I apologize. Frankly, I was trying to avoid another super long post, which obviously is not a big issue for you. I did truly want to respond to the crutch comment, but is was unfair for me to isolate it. As to the rest of your reply, I'm perfectly happy to see 3rd party solutions to any shortcomings. So, great no debate then heh?
    Thank you, much appreciated, I apologize for the tone of my response to you.
    I think our views were similar but the crutch comment was the sticking point. I wasn't using it to bash hot syncing, I was just using it to indicate it would be something of an old holdover that over time you would grow to not need (much as over time with leg injuries you eventually don't need crutches). Some people may want to keep hot syncing and I am sure either Palm or a 3rd party will fill that gap. I think if it lacks the functionality out of the box and that is important to an individual, then they should wait and see if something gets developed for it. If nothing does or another phone that better meets one's needs come along, then go with that. As I say so frequently around here, it comes down to choice and as much as we all love the Pre it will definitely not be perfect for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you're still a little hung up on the desktop sync. At this point, there's not much to synch with (no Palm desktop program, no apps yet that store information on the desktop and the Pre). Personally, I think that will change when the device comes out. I believe though, that what you'll see are apps/services that do it wirelessly, or provide some mechanism to use the Pre as attached storage.

However, I digress. The new strategy was a requirement for the cash that their new partners provided. That's the nature of things like this. No one comes in and says "You've been losing money - here's some more, keep doing what you've been doing". Nope, when a new company comes on board with money, they want you to do something different. They're signing the checks, so they get to call the shots.
    Its clear to everyone that PalmOS was at the end of its life and that just shipping WM Treos was not going to lead to much growth. The new platform is a radical departure from PalmOS, in someways perhaps too radical. Supporting "cloud" computing natively does not mean you could not also support hard wired sync. Blackberries support both, so do iPhones an WM devices. PalmOS support for cloud computing is weak but not non-existant.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The comment of 'well that softwared doesn't exost yet for the Pre, so...." is BS. Yeah, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it doesn't seem like the right attitude to take there.
    It may be total BS to you, but that's because you remain fixated on one issue. The fact is that before syncing was popular, Pocket Quicken didn't do it. It was only when devices came out that could use it that they provided that ability.

When they provided that, there was no other real option. Now there is. When those apps become available for the Pre, they will make them work natively with the Pre.

That will be over the wire. It's a good thing. Ya just gotta believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's great if all you want to sync is your Calendar and Contacts, what about tasks and memos. I also sync eWallet & Pocket Quicken.
    I am not sure on this one, but isn't Palm's backup service going to backup Memo's as well?
    so i guess a companion link for Google will do a dump from Palm Desktop/Outlook to Gmail for all of your data. then the Pre's synergy App will act like a companion link on your Pre - you give it your Gmail name and password and it will pull your Gmail Contacts and Calendar to the Pre. and maybe Gmail email as well. give me free PUSH email and i may get excited.
    I just got off the phone with Sprint Tech Support where I talked with two different support reps about issues that were unrelated to the Pre. (Problems with my treo 755P)

BOTH reps confirmed to me that the Pre does allow syncing with the Desktop via USB!

I was as clear as I could be in verifying this with the two reps and they said, absolutely, that the Pre will hotsync to the desktop.

I can only say that until I have one in my hands I will still be apprehensive about whether this information is true or not, but that's what I was told.

If it bears out I will be totally relieved, since this issue is the biggest deal breaker for me in deciding whether to stay with Sprint and to replace my Treo with a Pre.

I hope that this news takes some of the angst out of the discussion we've had about this issue. I know that it does that for me.

GeneL
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I too will take that with a grain of salt but I hope it's true. This is one of my major issues as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    I just got off the phone with Sprint Tech Support where I talked with two different support reps about issues that were unrelated to the Pre. (Problems with my treo 755P)

BOTH reps confirmed to me that the Pre does allow syncing with the Desktop via USB!

I was as clear as I could be in verifying this with the two reps and they said, absolutely, that the Pre will hotsync to the desktop.
    First, I hope your information is correct, but I have to say I'm very doubtful. The Pre is not going to come with Palm desktop. Why would they make it work with a program they are not including?

Again, not saying the tech's are wrong, but I'm suspicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    First, I hope your information is correct, but I have to say I'm very doubtful. The Pre is not going to come with Palm desktop. Why would they make it work with a program they are not including?

Again, not saying the tech's are wrong, but I'm suspicious.
    What I asked them and what they told me was that the Pre would sync by USB to the desktop. Since I use the Missing Sync, the Palm Desktop is not an issue for me. Never used it.

My point is that there already are ways to sync not using Palm Desktop, so it is certainly possible that a process equivalent to what I'm doing currently could work on the Pre. It does clearly have a USB port.

I get your skepticism and while I'm not skeptical, I do share a feeling of concern over this issue.

All that I can say is that if the information is correct I'll be very happy.

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    What I asked them and what they told me was that the Pre would sync by USB to the desktop. Since I use the Missing Sync, the Palm Desktop is not an issue for me. Never used it.
    OK, that makes it more clear.

However, I'm even more skeptical now.

I think what they're saying is that the system will have the physical capabilities (the ability to use the USB).

However, that leaves the synch software. Missing Sync includes a client for the PC or Mac, and a client for the device (depending on which device you have).

That means they'd have to have a client software for the Pre, and have to modifiy the client software on the Mac and PC.

Neither of which, I think, would be extremely difficult, but it does bring us back full circle.

I'll also say, I believe that Mark Space will likely provide a solution, as will (probably) a number of other vendors.
    Who says that the Pre will absolutely NOT have a newer version of Palm Desktop?? I sure hope it does, cuz I back up my Memos, Contacts and Tasks to Palm Desktop and my email to Outlook Exchange at work. (I do not want personal appointments and memos syncing to Outlook at work, thankyou)
    I wouldn't expect a desktop solution from Palm to be blunt.

Hope for a 3rd party.

However, memos get backed up with Palm's online backup service.
    Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    There are MANY posts here that clarify that the Pre is designed to access and merge data from online sources, rather than sync'ing with a local computer. The USB capability is only as a Mass Storage Device for moving individual files over, such as MP3's, videos, etc. This is very different than sync'ing.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    There are MANY posts here that clarify that the Pre is designed to access and merge data from online sources, rather than sync'ing with a local computer. The USB capability is only as a Mass Storage Device for moving individual files over, such as MP3's, videos, etc. This is very different than sync'ing.
    Davidtm, while I get your point, I'm inclined to accept that the reps that I spoke with were referring to syncing calendars and contacts, since I made that my point a number of times when I asked them to verify what they had told me.

As far as using a third party app to enable syncing the Pre, I'm using the Missing Sync with Entourage on my Treos and Macs. It's done its job perfectly and reliably for years. I see no problem if I would have to use a new version on the Pre.

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
  18. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    You people are crazy, why in the world would you want to sync through USB when you can sync through the air?

Every day I use my treo 755p I hate it more, I see my friends walking around with their blackberries and iPhones, synced automatically to their google calendar / contact book.

You guys have to leave your USB comfort zone and try to imagine a world where you meet somebody in the street, enter his contact information to your phone, then drop the phone and break it, come home - and ALL your information is waiting for you in gmail. You can email the friend you met immediately telling him how lucky you are to have a palm pre that syncs over the air and how you still have his information even though you broke your phone 5 minutes after you met him.

Then you can go get a new pre, enter your user name and password and like magic - your info is back on it.

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST - CLOUD SYNC IS THE FUTURE

GET USE TO IT.

That said - YES - Palm has said in many places that USB sync will be possible.
    Sorry Yoe, but I don't agree with your premise. As others have said, I would rather not expose my data to hackers by putting everything online.

I can just picture hackers drooling over the opportunity to harvest a huge number of contacts in order to sell them to spammers or to use themselves. It's been done before.

Whatever the level of risk, it's just not worth it to me for what you suggest is a matter of convenience.

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    i'm not a big fan of Gmail's Contacts and Calendar interface. it sucks compared to Palm Desktop.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast