Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    started testing companionlink for google but stopped. uninstalled and will wait for pre to launch to see what's offered. i don't want to go down one road only to get bit in the @$$ at launch. don't want to risk scrambled or duplicate PIM data.
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/04/2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Very happy for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I've been using google calendar on top of Palm dektop for about a year via goosync. I like google calendar as way to further back-up my data and to experience the cloud.
    The point is people don't necessarily care for cloud syncing. Some aren't ready for it. Some don't trust it. For whatever reason they prefer to do it locally. They like the ease and simplicity of Palm Desktop. They prefer to have their data kept locally and not somewhere off in the cloud. As you said yourself, you wish Google had offline viewing. Pure interaction with the cloud always relies on a data connection of some sort. You might not have a connection. Google or whatever site might have connection issues, security issues or whatever.

So the point is many, even those that already use the cloud, think it's a mistake to make users go cold turkey on something as personal as how they store and manipulate their data and personal information. Having cloud sync should be a nice option while also maintaining the ability to continue their current methods of syncing.

You can always turn memos into word documents and use DocsToGo to manage your memos.
    Also, since Palm desktop is not really networkable, google calendar fills that gap I was gonna say that I wish google calendar had offline viewing, I just checked and what do ya know, they do! Well, if they could really master tasks/to do and memo's like Palm Desktop, then that would be something. Any suggestions, Subscription free preferred.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Very happy for you...

The point is people don't necessarily care for cloud syncing. Some aren't ready for it. Some don't trust it. For whatever reason they prefer to do it locally. They like the ease and simplicity of Palm Desktop. They prefer to have their data kept locally and not somewhere off in the cloud. As you said yourself, you wish Google had offline viewing. Pure interaction with the cloud always relies on a data connection of some sort. You might not have a connection. Google or whatever site might have connection issues, security issues or whatever.

So the point is many, even those that already use the cloud, think it's a mistake to make users go cold turkey on something as personal as how they store and manipulate their data and personal information. Having cloud sync should be a nice option while also maintaining the ability to continue their current methods of syncing.

You can always turn memos into word documents and use DocsToGo to manage your memos.
    Google does have a local calender you can access offline....similar to Gmail offline.

But regardless, Palm is trying to progress and not be stuck with what people are used to.

If people are afraid of it....the phone is simply not for you. Simple as that. I think the majority of the younger generation will simply LOVE the idea. I like the idea myself as I find it annoying to sync something.

I mean, the only reason I connect my blackberry now to my computer is to move music on to it. I technically don't even have to back it up anymore as I use google sync so all my calender and contact data are from the web already. Also, I downloaded the new version of facebook which matches people up from your facebook friends lists and adds the profile pictures and what not.

I know it might be hard for some people to get used to that, but....its progression as opposed to stagnation.
    probably one of the more ignorant statements I've heard on here. Will remember to disregard any points you make in the future. Seriously. Now tell me how I don't need more than 8gb of storage on there either to really round it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    If people are afraid of it....the phone is simply not for you. Simple as that.
    Me personally...I have enough emails, log ins and what not. I don't need to add google to the mix. Already have enough out there I don't use. Though I fortunately won't have to worry about it as I'll be stuck with Outlook and Exchange whether I like it or not.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I been a long time Palm user and look forward to making the break with desktop syncing. I find I been using it less n less over the years.
    probably one of the more ignorant statements I've heard on here. Will remember to disregard any points you make in the future. Seriously. Now tell me how I don't need more than 8gb of storage on there either to really round it out.

Me personally...I have enough emails, log ins and what not. I don't need to add google to the mix. Already have enough out there I don't use. Though I fortunately won't have to worry about it as I'll be stuck with Outlook and Exchange whether I like it or not.
    I find it odd when people sometimes find it "ignorant" when I simply tell you what Palm has told us....
    Does any one here use Sprint Mobile Sync yet? Probably not because not many phones are set up for it yet. It is a free sync service for contacts, where you can sync your phone contacts to Sprint's server, and where they'll give you software to sync their server to Outlook, Outlook Express, or Lotus Notes. They've got web access to the contacts database, and you can set up the syncs as downloads, uploads, or true bidirectional syncs.

I wonder if this will be the default contacts cloud sync option for the Pre?
    I wonder if Palm will provide an online sync service?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I wonder if Palm will provide an online sync service?
    Welcome to the NOW!

I mean: Yes... Yes they will.
    It's an opinion, not ignorance. Plus, he's right.
    Doug, along with some others on this board, seem to subscribe to the idea that Palm has earned a coveted "Love it or Leave it Status." among consumers.This misguided sentiment usually follows a three step process:

1) Tell others to accept the Pre as is, no questioning the meager memory, lack of sd card, lack of native local sync, and (at one time) lack of legacy PalmOS support.

2) Tell others, or insinuate that they are tech-backward, too insignificant in the market and so much on the fringe, why should Palm care.

3) Finally, tell them that they should not get the Pre. Apparently questioning Palm is altogether prohibited and therefore disqualifies one from buying and enjoying a Pre.

Palm has not earned this Love it or Leave it status. Good thing those that wanted legacy PalmOS support were not swayed by their treatment on this board. Turns out, Palm may have been listening.

...If people are afraid of it....the phone is simply not for you.

I know it might be hard for some people to get used to that, but....its progression as opposed to stagnation.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Palm has not earned this Love it or Leave it status. Good thing those that wanted legacy PalmOS support were not swayed by their treatment on this board. Turns out, Palm may have been listening.
    Unfortunately the utility of that legacy support is limited by the lack of hotsync.
    Except that Palm didn't do it, a third party did.

If someone (even Palm) decides to do something to sync the Pre, that's fine, but I wouldn't count on it being Palm, I also wouldn't count on it's long term prospect. I suspect that the Palm Classic will be a seller only for a short time.

I remember when I got my first Treo. I was skeptical of the keyboard. I had been using Grafitti for years, was pretty good at it, and couldn't imagine trying to type on that keyboard. I was assured I'd get used to it, and would likely even prefer it.

I bought a commercial program that allowed me to use Grafitti.

However, programs didn't work well with the Grafitti program, and I found myself using the keyboard more and more. Finally, one of the times I switched devices, I didn't bother reloading the Grafitti.

I suspect that there will be a very small minority that insist they have to have wired synchronization. New methods of storing/sharing data will come up, and I believe most folks will find them preferable.

I like this quote from Henry Ford - "If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse."
    Three things:
    1. Palm allowed and embraced the third party solution. Something few here thought would happen.

2. Very good quote of Ford. Hope they, like Palm are still in business in 12 months.

3. I knew Grafitti was on the outs. Thats why I bought the treo90. See, I embrace change.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except that Palm didn't do it, a third party did.

If someone (even Palm) decides to do something to sync the Pre, that's fine, but I wouldn't count on it being Palm, I also wouldn't count on it's long term prospect. I suspect that the Palm Classic will be a seller only for a short time.

I remember when I got my first Treo. I was skeptical of the keyboard. I had been using Grafitti for years, was pretty good at it, and couldn't imagine trying to type on that keyboard. I was assured I'd get used to it, and would likely even prefer it.

I bought a commercial program that allowed me to use Grafitti.

However, programs didn't work well with the Grafitti program, and I found myself using the keyboard more and more. Finally, one of the times I switched devices, I didn't bother reloading the Grafitti.

I suspect that there will be a very small minority that insist they have to have wired synchronization. New methods of storing/sharing data will come up, and I believe most folks will find them preferable.

I like this quote from Henry Ford - "If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse."
    Last edited by eekinsman; 05/05/2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added #3
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    and there is a reason why 3rd parties are coming up with solutions to maintain a local sync... There's obviously enough oomph behind it. To make that blanket statement like that is wrong.
    I find it odd when people sometimes find it "ignorant" when I simply tell you what Palm has told us....
    Three things:
    1. Palm allowed and embraced the third party solution. Something few here thought would happen.
    I certainly wasn't one of those. I hope Palm supports any effort at filling a need (or desire) for people to use the device. It makes sense for Palm to do that. They can concentrate on building devices, and let others concentrate (at no charge to them) on making the device more useful.

2. Very good quote of Ford. Hope they, like Palm are still in business in 12 months.
    To be fair, Ford died in 1947. Even assuming he made the quote towards the end of his life, 62 years is a pretty good run

3. I knew Grafitti was on the outs. Thats why I bought the treo90. See, I embrace change.
    I was skeptical. I learned my lesson though. A faster horse isn't always the answer. I'm looking forward to seeing things that we never even considered with this device.
    and there is a reason why 3rd parties are coming up with solutions to maintain a local sync... There's obviously enough oomph behind it. To make that blanket statement like that is wrong.
    What third party company has come up with a solution to maintain local sync? I wasn't aware that anyone had actually done it.
    Doug, along with some others on this board, seem to subscribe to the idea that Palm has earned a coveted "Love it or Leave it Status." among consumers.This misguided sentiment usually follows a three step process:

1) Tell others to accept the Pre as is, no questioning the meager memory, lack of sd card, lack of native local sync, and (at one time) lack of legacy PalmOS support.

2) Tell others, or insinuate that they are tech-backward, too insignificant in the market and so much on the fringe, why should Palm care.

3) Finally, tell them that they should not get the Pre. Apparently questioning Palm is altogether prohibited and therefore disqualifies one from buying and enjoying a Pre.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

Here are the facts and what we know:

Palm has introduced this OS called WebOS because it thrives by being connected all the time. They did this for a reason. The company believes this is the future for mobile phones...I mean, hell, their SDK is all web formats.

We have known this, and this still remains fact. They expressed what will be their form of data syncing, that all your information lives on the internet. They have gone as far as to outright say "there will be no desktop sync."

These are the facts we know because Palm has told us that this is the product they developed.

Now, you can make wishes or arguments against their moves, but that will not change anything. Will a 3rd party make a syncing application? Maybe they will...maybe they won't. But until one is announced, if this is an issue that is really upsetting to some, I just don't understand why you would bother with the phone?

If its an issue you can move past, I then don't understand why my comment would have been taken as "ignorant" according to the other poster.

He complains he has enough passwords to remember that he doesn't want to sign up for gmail....what if a syncing program from a 3rd party required a login with password? I bet he wouldn't care about another password that time.

I mean, thats the basic issue I have...you have multiple ways of syncing data, Google allows you to have local calender/gmail essentially letting you have a desktop application.

I just don't understand how that isn't enough for some people.

Yes you can find shortcomings and oddities about the phone, but at the end of the day...do you want the phone or not? If you are on this forum I'm going to lean towards the former.....so I think i'm just getting tired of all these negative threads regarding what people think Palm should do.... because news flash...they ain't doing it (for the Pre at launch at least).
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast