Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I apologise if this has already been discussed I searched the forums but couldn't really find a concise answer,

How do I get all the contacts from my Palm Desktop into Google?
    1. Export
    Open Palm Desktop. Select one of your contacts, and then hit Ctrl+A to select all.

File > Export. Click on Columns to weed out any extraneous data, and then under format select "vCard." Note where you've save this file.

2. Convert
    Gmail only supports contact importation through CSV files (Comma Separated Values), so you'll have to convert your vCard file to CSV. Thankfully, that arduous task has been simplified for us by the handy utility vCard to LDIF/CSV Converter.

Upload your file, select "Gmail CSV" as the format, and hit convert. It will then spit out an identically named CSV file that you can check out in Excel (or any multitude of programs).

3. Upload
    Open Gmail and click on Contacts. In the top right corner, click on Import. Click browse, find your CSV file, upload it, and then click Import.

Tada!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Edit: Captain Hair got to it first. His is more detailed. Gonna erase my post. =P
    CompanionLink just posted a video showing another way with their software.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonhtp View Post

A way that you have to pay for. Honestly, once you've got a Pre, why bother with Palm Desktop?*

*Yes, I know somebody's going to say they have a Palm handheld that they're going to keep using. You're in the minority here.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I want to keep using Palm desktop, or a similar replacement because:
    1. I want a local, non-cloud, non hand-held solution to my PIM.
    2. While the Pre's kb and screen look awesome, for heavy calender, task and memo work, I require full size kb and monitor.
    3. I really don't want to use Outlook/Exchange
    4. I want cloud sync and synergy to be an additional method of sync, not the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    A way that you have to pay for. Honestly, once you've got a Pre, why bother with Palm Desktop?*

*Yes, I know somebody's going to say they have a Palm handheld that they're going to keep using. You're in the minority here.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Tatobest likes this.
  7.    #7  
    1. Export
    Open Palm Desktop. Select one of your contacts, and then hit Ctrl+A to select all.

File > Export. Click on Columns to weed out any extraneous data, and then under format select "vCard." Note where you've save this file.

2. Convert
    Gmail only supports contact importation through CSV files (Comma Separated Values), so you'll have to convert your vCard file to CSV. Thankfully, that arduous task has been simplified for us by the handy utility vCard to LDIF/CSV Converter.

Upload your file, select "Gmail CSV" as the format, and hit convert. It will then spit out an identically named CSV file that you can check out in Excel (or any multitude of programs).

3. Upload
    Open Gmail and click on Contacts. In the top right corner, click on Import. Click browse, find your CSV file, upload it, and then click Import.

Tada!
    thanks !
    I needed the vCard to csv converter, that was the piece I was missing
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I want to keep using Palm desktop, or a similar replacement because:
    1. I want a local, non-cloud, non hand-held solution to my PIM.
    2. While the Pre's kb and screen look awesome, for heavy calender, task and memo work, I require full size kb and monitor.
    3. I really don't want to use Outlook/Exchange
    4. I want cloud sync and synergy to be an additional method of sync, not the only choice.
    Ditto
    I use companionlink for google to sync my palm desktop each and every day, I hate the way google calendar looks and works, pluse when your internet goes down so does your life.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Ditto
    I use companionlink for google to sync my palm desktop each and every day, I hate the way google calendar looks and works, pluse when your internet goes down so does your life.
    Terry
    Not true. The data is cached to the Pre, the only information you won't have without an internet connection are those things added directly to your cloud service (not using the Pre) during the time of your disconnect from The Cloud on the Pre.
    I have never been without internet service on my 700P for any substantial length of time, if at all (don't recall any lengthy downtimes).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Ditto
    Terry
    Not that you would start using it, but you can install Google Gears & enable the calendar, Gmail, & Documents to be available offline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Not that you would start using it, but you can install Google Gears & enable the calendar, Gmail, & Documents to be available offline.
    Thats a really good point in favor of Google, I actually just found that out earlier today. Any word on whether Google documents will sync with the Pre? If so, that may meet my needs vis a vis PalmOS Memos.
    1. Export

2. Convert

3. Upload

Tada!
    This was very kind of you to type up, but I wanted to mention that my experience was quite different. For instance, Palm Desktop can export directly to .csv.

What truly sucks is that there doesn't appear to be an option for column headers to be automatically inserted. WTH???

I'm sitting here trying to figure out which columns are which and what I should name them and how/if I can be consistent between the different categories (it's a good idea, apparently, to export categories, one at a time).

*whew*

Also, it only lets you choose which columns will be exported as a last step in the process - even after naming the file and choosing its directory location.

This is a much bigger hassle than I thought it would be. Anyone who's procrastinating might want to get started working out the kinks, now.

I hope that third-party option is at least more convenient.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    This was very kind of you to type up, but I wanted to mention that my experience was quite different. For instance, Palm Desktop can export directly to .csv.

What truly sucks is that there doesn't appear to be an option for column headers to be automatically inserted. WTH???

I'm sitting here trying to figure out which columns are which and what I should name them and how/if I can be consistent between the different categories (it's a good idea, apparently, to export categories, one at a time).

*whew*

Also, it only lets you choose which columns will be exported as a last step in the process - even after naming the file and choosing its directory location.

This is a much bigger hassle than I thought it would be. Anyone who's procrastinating might want to get started working out the kinks, now.

I hope that third-party option is at least more convenient.
    Huh. I guess the Mac version doesn't come with CSV support. Bummer.

On the header columns note, the vCard to CSV cludge to maintain the headers just fine from the vCards.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Not true. The data is cached to the Pre, the only information you won't have without an internet connection are those things added directly to your cloud service (not using the Pre) during the time of your disconnect from The Cloud on the Pre.
    I have never been without internet service on my 700P for any substantial length of time, if at all (don't recall any lengthy downtimes).
    Thats true, it would/should be cached to what ever hand held device we use, but I guess we all live our lives differently, I much prefer working from my desktop then I do from my hand held, from what I have seen in the photos the Pre will end up having a keyboard about the size of the centro, good luck with that, anyway I like the way my desk top PIM handles every thing better then google, I use Agendus for palm desktop, it is one of those apps that just works.
    Terry
    Yes, it "should" be cached. But, no one seems to be able answer how much is cached, how far back, for example, will a the calendar data go? Who decides what amount and data is cached, me? Palm? If EVERYTHING isn't cached,a 'cloudless' Pre is just a brick. Tmair, I agree with your preference on handling major PIM issues on the the desktop. Cloud is great, so is synergy directly from the cloud to the Pre, thats cool and I'd use it. But Palm will have made a grave error if they appear to have excluded any meaningful place for the desktop at the table of synergy.

Thats true, it would/should be cached to what ever hand held device we use, but I guess we all live our lives differently, I much prefer working from my desktop then I do from my hand held, from what I have seen in the photos the Pre will end up having a keyboard about the size of the centro, good luck with that, anyway I like the way my desk top PIM handles every thing better then google, I use Agendus for palm desktop, it is one of those apps that just works.
    Terry
    You can use CompanionLink Google in Trial mode for a one time migration.

Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google
    actually, you don't need to convert the files at all
    for both contacts and calendar if you go into gmails import feature and browse to a vcf (contact) or .vcs (calendar) file it will directly import it with no problems

despite it saying it only supports csv, it's actually more flexible than that
  18.    #18  
    it seems to me that everything would be cached. the only time things would change is if they were updated on the server and not on the pre. Why delete old information, unless of course you deleted it purposely. then, when you update your data on the pre, it updates it online... no problems.

if you like working on your desktop, then put your updates directly into google, or facebook or exchange. and whoever else they add.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    1. Export

2. Convert

3. Upload

Tada!
    This worked so beautifully. I could not get it to work with just exporting the contacts to a csv file. Thanks!!!!
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
  20. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonhtp View Post

I saw this link and got pretty excited, but then I clicked it and it said "Video has been removed by user." Any newer links to video or other info???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast