Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Yes, it "should" be cached. But, no one seems to be able answer how much is cached, how far back, for example, will a the calendar data go? Who decides what amount and data is cached, me? Palm? If EVERYTHING isn't cached,a 'cloudless' Pre is just a brick. Tmair, I agree with your preference on handling major PIM issues on the the desktop. Cloud is great, so is synergy directly from the cloud to the Pre, thats cool and I'd use it. But Palm will have made a grave error if they appear to have excluded any meaningful place for the desktop at the table of synergy.
    Is it just me or does everyone forget the fact Google apps are availabl offline (enable Google gears).

Boom.

You have a desktop app....

How far in advance do you need calender information?

On my blackberry you can set it up to a certain point. For instance, i right now just have 3 months prior and 3 months forward as I rarely plan anything further out than that.

However i have the option to do a year back and a year forward.....and probably more.
    Yes but the thing is the offline version of some of the apps are read-only, e.g. Google Calendar, which theoretically replaces Palm Desktop's... er... calendar.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Yes but the thing is the offline version of some of the apps are read-only, e.g. Google Calendar, which theoretically replaces Palm Desktop's... er... calendar.
    That's why you use CalDAV for Google Calendar synchronization.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I love how all these "solutions" are round about, suspect or just plain unknown. Something that was so simple as syncing to PD is now a convoluted cluster ******. This topic has been discussed forever before and now it's making another round as the release nears.

Companionsync and goosync will only do contacts, calendar and tasks. For those that use memos extensively, you're hosed. At least I believe that to be true. Goosync will only do contacts if you pay for it. And as someone else mentioned, in offline mode, you can only "see" your calendar. You can't edit. It also doesn't include contacts and tasks.

How well was this thought out by Palm? The only solution I've heard of for memos is to convert over to Word docs, and that will only help for transferring files. It won't do a thing to actually sync them.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    How do we know memo's aren't just seperate files on the mass storage area of the Pre?

I just think all the worrying needs to relax until they annouce it...then proper methods will help.

Btw, i'm sure Memos will be taken care of by the Palm backup sync.
    and what format would those memos be in? And how would you enter them in a desktop client and have them sync over to the pre (besides drag and drop)? Then if you make changes to them on the Pre or create new ones, how will those changes get synced back up on the desktop? Will you be dragging and dropping all the time back and forth?

and umm...don't worry and relax till they announce it? Yeah, okay. Take that advice to every other thread with speculation and concern.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Just FYI, in case anyone's going to give it a try: the Companionlink Google Sync tool (V3.0) doesnt yet support Google's new Tasks. Outlook (and, I'm assuming Palm Desktop) tasks are still synced as events on the Google Calendar.

I've sent an email to their support, will report on what they say. This is how I plan to keep my Pre synced with Outlook, so this is a pretty important change (to me, at least).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and what format would those memos be in? And how would you enter them in a desktop client and have them sync over to the pre (besides drag and drop)? Then if you make changes to them on the Pre or create new ones, how will those changes get synced back up on the desktop? Will you be dragging and dropping all the time back and forth?

and umm...don't worry and relax till they announce it? Yeah, okay. Take that advice to every other thread with speculation and concern.
    Ok fine...keep worrying.

What do i care?

I don't even know who you are.
    fyi - i just did a test run of "import Contacts via CSV file from Palm Desktop to GMail Contacts". has anyone tried this? i did and my Contacts were completely scrambled. i tested CompanionLink for Google a few weeks ago, and although it was slow, my Contacts were not scrambled like they were with the CSV method.

test and let us know.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    1. Export
    Open Palm Desktop. Select one of your contacts, and then hit Ctrl+A to select all.

File > Export. Click on Columns to weed out any extraneous data, and then under format select "vCard." Note where you've save this file.

2. Convert
    Gmail only supports contact importation through CSV files (Comma Separated Values), so you'll have to convert your vCard file to CSV. Thankfully, that arduous task has been simplified for us by the handy utility vCard to LDIF/CSV Converter.

Upload your file, select "Gmail CSV" as the format, and hit convert. It will then spit out an identically named CSV file that you can check out in Excel (or any multitude of programs).

3. Upload
    Open Gmail and click on Contacts. In the top right corner, click on Import. Click browse, find your CSV file, upload it, and then click Import.

Tada!
    This is very helpful, but I think one of the things that gets left out in this approach is the Notes 1-4 and Custom 5-9 fields. Anyone able to consolidate those and get them to show up in Google--in the Notes section?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aagha View Post
    This is very helpful, but I think one of the things that gets left out in this approach is the Notes 1-4 and Custom 5-9 fields. Anyone able to consolidate those and get them to show up in Google--in the Notes section?
    CompanionLink for Google will handle the Custom 1-9 fields, pushing them to Google in a way that they show on the Palm Pre. You can even change them on the Pre, and they come back to Palm Desktop.

CompanionLink works with Palm Desktop 4.2, 6.2 and all other versions. If you use the Google Sync it handles Contacts, Calendar and Tasks (Tasks go to Google Calendar and Palm Pre Calendar on the due date). CompanionLink also has a direct sync (i.e. not through Google) that supports Tasks and Notes as well as Contacts and Calendar.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonhtp View Post
    CompanionLink just posted a video showing another way with their software.
    Wow. CompanionLink is just what I needed.

Specifically, I needed to get photos for contacts off of Palm Desktop. Now they are in Google, and I can sync from Google to wherever I need.

Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12