Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's say that my friend Joe has his mobile number listed on Facebook. Since he does, it should show up on my pre under my contact for him. Now, let's say that a week down the road, my friend Joe REMOVES his number from Facebook. Will that remove his number from my phone?

It would seem to me that it would remove it, because if he updated his phone number on Facebook, it should bring that updated number to my phone to replace the old one...

I really hope Palm thought this through.......
    What if Outlook is my main database, and some of my contacts in Outlook are friends of mine on facebook. So it'd be nice if they had info on FB that wasn't in Outlook it would add it. But in doing so, do I now have to have all my Friends on FB in my Outlook? I really wonder how you can control the Synergy.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    What if Outlook is my main database, and some of my contacts in Outlook are friends of mine on facebook. So it'd be nice if they had info on FB that wasn't in Outlook it would add it. But in doing so, do I now have to have all my Friends on FB in my Outlook? I really wonder how you can control the Synergy.
    theres a video where they said synergy doesn't cross contaminate sources like that..it just brings all the sources to the phone, thats all
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Let's say that my friend Joe has his mobile number listed on Facebook. Since he does, it should show up on my pre under my contact for him. Now, let's say that a week down the road, my friend Joe REMOVES his number from Facebook. Will that remove his number from my phone?

It would seem to me that it would remove it, because if he updated his phone number on Facebook, it should bring that updated number to my phone to replace the old one...

I really hope Palm thought this through.......
    Damned good question.

I could see a good reason for Synergy functionality to delete the contact and a good reason for it not to do so.

If the contact info is still valid (but private), then it's worth keeping. If the contact has been deleted because it's no longer valid, then it's worth deleting.

I have no Facebook acount and zero Facebook contacts, but on gp alone, this concerns me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I don't think it'd delete, but what happens if your friend decides to put a fake number up like a 555-1212 number, will your saved number get overridden? That would really suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I don't think it'd delete, but what happens if your friend decides to put a fake number up like a 555-1212 number, will your saved number get overridden? That would really suck.
    Why WOULD it keep a deleted e-mail address but NOT to replace an edited phone number?

That just doesn't add up to me. Even Facebook pix get updated.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Say there's information about my friend on FB, Linkedin or whatever that I don't have in Outlook. It's great and all that it combines on the Pre, but does it update Outlook then? Do I have to authorize the change before it updates Outlook? Or do I still have to enter it manually in Outlook?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Say there's information about my friend on FB, Linkedin or whatever that I don't have in Outlook. It's great and all that it combines on the Pre, but does it update Outlook then? Do I have to authorize the change before it updates Outlook? Or do I still have to enter it manually in Outlook?

it doesn't move info from facebook to outlook. thats the cross contamination palm said the pre isn't gonna do. if you want it there, you gotta move it yourself.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Its a software interface related question, the better option would be to inform the user about the deletion and let him decide.
    I wouldn't think this happens all the time. So notifying the user to choose his option is the best solution.
    that's what I pretty much thought, and what I don't get. At least give me the option to have it update outlook. If I manually have to update my main source be it google, outlook or whatever, then I don't get the point of synergy. Like gbp mentioned, there should at least be the option for the user to decide. If it's accessing multiple db's for contacts, then you should have the option to have that new information populate the other database. You obviously can't update your friend's facebook profile, but you can at least have your main source be updated. If I have to manually do it, I might as well do it from the get go when I see his facebook info is more detailed then mine. If your info is different it can ask which one you want to keep or is current. If it's a piece of info missing, it asks if you'd like to update your main database. And if you have multiple pims, like a home and work, you could designate one as a main or master. To me, it's not really synergy if it only helps me when I'm using my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    it doesn't move info from facebook to outlook. thats the cross contamination palm said the pre isn't gonna do. if you want it there, you gotta move it yourself.
    that's what I pretty much thought, and what I don't get. At least give me the option to have it update outlook. If I manually have to update my main source be it google, outlook or whatever, then I don't get the point of synergy. Like gbp mentioned, there should at least be the option for the user to decide. If it's accessing multiple db's for contacts, then you should have the option to have that new information populate the other database. You obviously can't update your friend's facebook profile, but you can at least have your main source be updated. If I have to manually do it, I might as well do it from the get go when I see his facebook info is more detailed then mine. If your info is different it can ask which one you want to keep or is current. If it's a piece of info missing, it asks if you'd like to update your main database. And if you have multiple pims, like a home and work, you could designate one as a main or master. To me, it's not really synergy if it only helps me when I'm using my phone.
    the way i see it, if you really want to move contact info from gmail to outlook or facebook or something, i feel that thats something a computer program is better equipped to deal with. At least for me, it would be really annoying if for every piece of contact info for every single contact it went through and asked me if i wanted to copy it to each and every other contact source. it would take forever do go through and do it individually. i feel like moving/copying contacts between sources is something to be done on a computer. However compiling it on the phone so its all in a simple database for when i need to use my phone is the best balance between having no synergy and the absurb amounts where not only do they try and compile it one the phone, they move it from one source to every single other source, one piece at a time
    It doesn't have to do it automatically. I have over 1200 contacts, and I'm sure only 10-20% are going to be on my Linkedin or Facebook accounts. There might be an initial run through where it would be tedious, but it's not like you're going to do it for all those contacts on a daily basis. It would only be when something changes or updates. Unless every contact is moving, changing phone numbers and emails on a daily basis it won't be ongoing hell.

Say someone gets a new email or mobile number and updates their facebook with it. Your Pre notices it's different than the one you have. It prompts you to overwrite, add as additional or ignore it. If you overwrite it, then it updates your desktop/cloud PIM next time it syncs. Maybe there's an email or phone number you didn't have for the contact. It asks if you'd like to update your PIM with the new info.

It wouldn't be a constant flood except for initially. And it would be a far easier way to make your desktop/cloud PIM that much more complete as opposed to looking everyone up and doing it manually.
    I don't think Palm considers it up to them to improve Outlook, Yahoo, etc. They see their job as integrating those sources' content on their product(s).

Besides, most folks have their phones with them wherever they are. That's not necessarily true of Outlook so makes a certain amount of sense for the phone to be the Synergized one.
    All this under the assumption that ALL people put their contact and other info on FB and update it.
    Most of anybody that I know, some do have FB accounts, buy NONE have any useful private info up there or will put it up there. Including me.
    FB is simply a fun thing.
    And I would assume anything like it on the net would be similar.
    Whereas a desktop app would be private and secure.
    I know this is not the question at hand, but my view would then be who would trust the synergy thingy anyway?
  15.    #15  
    Anyone give a shot at answering my initial question?
    Actually it was their job for the past 13yrs to sync up with your desktop PIM so everything was current. It was pretty much one of the selling features of having a Palm. Now they can care less about the PIM and the desktop side. Who cares as long as your phone has all the info?

And most folks still work at their computer. So they should have to go to their phone for the most up to date info?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't think Palm considers it up to them to improve Outlook, Yahoo, etc. They see their job as integrating those sources' content on their product(s).

Besides, most folks have their phones with them wherever they are. That's not necessarily true of Outlook so makes a certain amount of sense for the phone to be the Synergized one.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    No one knows the answer to this yet... that is the answer, I believe. (At least no one on here who can say. )

I'm at odds with the majority in this thread... I'd rather for my facebook contact to update automatically. I do not want to be notified and don't want it to change my outlook contact or ask if I want to update my outlook contact for that person.

I'd say all those "alternative" places that I contact people are not important... all my important stuff is kept in Outlook and I update when I speak to people or email them. I don't want to be bothered every time something changes in a FB profile... that would drive me crazy.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I would think the only reason to ask you about the facebook change would be if it is in conflict. Let's say Joe has his cell number on FB, and you also have it in your Exchange contacts. And it's the same. What happens if Joe changes his cell number on FB? Perhaps that was Joe's way of telling people that he's changed his number. I want the Pre to ask me before changing this number. Or at least alert me that there was a change and add a duplicate. I sure wouldn't want the FB change to change the Exchange contact info. But I absolutely want to know that he's changed his FB cell number. For each field in the contact data, the Pre must have a master source. For duplicates, it would be very cool if the Pre also took note of the other possible sources of the same information and alerted me when it's no longer a duplicate. This might be asking too much.

Let me just also add that the fact we are even talking about these kinds of questions is fairly mind blowing. It means that the database is something completely new. It's like a virtual database. Every PIM item in the Pre is like its own little mash-up. It's fairly astounding, and it's incredible that no one is doing this on the desktop.
    Don't disagree there. Personally I'd rather skip that part of the 'synergy' altogether. Palm Desktop has my most complete PIM info in it. If I want to have someone's info available I'll put it in manually. Besides, mobile version of FB has a contacts section if there is some dire need for someone's info there.
    One certainly wonders how user configurable all of this will be. What if I want FB pictures but not contact info? Hard to say how they'll work all of this out.

I'm personally looking forward to FB contact info. I have a lot of old college friends who have their phone numbers in there. I don't talk to them frequently enough to keep up with their details, but it's ther in FB.

But that's just me. Hopefully the Pre won't force you to rely on FB any more than you want to.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast