Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I bet it would notify you before erasing the number from the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Let's say that my friend Joe has his mobile number listed on Facebook. Since he does, it should show up on my pre under my contact for him. Now, let's say that a week down the road, my friend Joe REMOVES his number from Facebook. Will that remove his number from my phone?

It would seem to me that it would remove it, because if he updated his phone number on Facebook, it should bring that updated number to my phone to replace the old one...

I really hope Palm thought this through.......
    Anyone give a shot at answering my initial question?
    My suspicion is that when he deletes it from Facebook, it will delete it from your listing. That's the way it should work. Were you to leave it there, you might go happily along your way thinking you have "Joe's" number, until you tried to call it and discovered that the reason he deleted it was because he got rid of his ATT account to get a "new phone", and didn't give out the new number he decided to get...
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Pure speculation on my part, but I've been assuming that the "Link more profiles" button is a manual dedup facility.

Your pre is going to suck down all the contacts on any service you tell it to, and attempt to match up people that appear on more than one data source. But it's not going to be 100% successful in cases where my gmail contact John Q. Smith at jsmith@gmail.com has facebook logonid crazyjon and only lists his phone number - so there's no way to generate an association between the two.

So the Pre has to give me some mechanism to assert that crazyjon is the same person as jsmith@gmail.com. I've been assuming that's what the "Link more profiles" button is.
    I haven't been able to find it, but I remember a video that basically said what you are saying here.
    Outlook through Exchange will work out of the box. You must've missed the memo. You can't local sync it, but you can PAY for an exchange server and sync.

And updating Outlook or whatever main PIM you're using kind of defeats the purpose of synergy. If Synergy is truly an overlay only it's a bit of a waste IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I haven't heard anything yet about syncing to Outlook. However, if/when they do, everything I've heard says that the Pre won't transfer information from one source to another.

However, if it's your Outlook, and there is something to sync with it, there's nothing to stop you from updating your Outlook with the information from FaceBook.
    the point is people use more than just their phone. If it's truly synergistic it will update your main PIM if you want it to. If I'm updating it manually with the information that's in other sources then you really don't need the other sources on your Pre then.
    The point is to consolodate all of the outside information to one unit. Not for the unit to update all of the information between sources.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Outlook through Exchange will work out of the box. You must've missed the memo. You can't local sync it, but you can PAY for an exchange server and sync.
    Outlook is a client to Exchange. You wouldn't sync to Outlook, you'd sync to Exchange. It would then show up in both client pieces, Outlook and the Pre.

Guess you missed the memo, huh?
    okay mikah jr....you can hop off your little soapbox. I did not say anything wrong. The Pre will not local sync with the Outlook like people have been doing with their other palm devices for the past 10+ years. So now they would need access to an exchange server. Many do not have that. It would be an additional expense for them to do something they've been able to do for free . Is there something you don't understand in this that you needed to clarify something that didn't seem to need clarification except by you?

It was also common knowledge since almost the introduction of the Pre that you would be able to sync the Pre to Outlook via the cloud via Exchange. I guess the absence of the word "client" threw you for a loop or something.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/17/2009 at 06:01 PM.
    okay genius....you can hop off your little soapbox. I did not say anything wrong.
    Is there something you don't understand in this that you needed to clarify something that didn't seem to need clarification except by you?
    My response was to your "You must've missed the memo" nonsense. Here's the exchange (no pun intended), just so we're on the same page:

What if Outlook is my main database, and some of my contacts in Outlook are friends of mine on facebook. So it'd be nice if they had info on FB that wasn't in Outlook it would add it. But in doing so, do I now have to have all my Friends on FB in my Outlook? I really wonder how you can control the Synergy.
    You specificaly said "Outlook". There are lots of people that use Outlook that do not use Exchange.

I responded:

I haven't heard anything yet about syncing to Outlook. However, if/when they do, everything I've heard says that the Pre won't transfer information from one source to another.
    My point really was that information from one database would not update the other; however, my statement was correct about Outlook.

Outlook through Exchange will work out of the box. You must've missed the memo.
    And here your started with the silly little "you must have missed the memo". Nah, no "memo" missed. I just didn't see where you had said anything about Exchange (because you didn't).

Outlook is a client to Exchange. You wouldn't sync to Outlook, you'd sync to Exchange. It would then show up in both client pieces, Outlook and the Pre.

Guess you missed the memo, huh?
    In short, don't dish it out if you can't take it. No genius involved, lighten up Francis.
    okay mikah jr....you can hop off your little soapbox. I did not say anything wrong. The Pre will not local sync with the Outlook like people have been doing with their other palm devices for the past 10+ years. So now they would need access to an exchange server. Many do not have that. It would be an additional expense for them to do something they've been able to do for free . Is there something you don't understand in this that you needed to clarify something that didn't seem to need clarification except by you?

It was also common knowledge since almost the introduction of the Pre that you would be able to sync the Pre to Outlook via the cloud via Exchange. I guess the absence of the word "client" threw you for a loop or something.
    Sorry, but your "common knowledge" is a misconception. You do not sync the Pre to Outlook. You use it to access an Exchange server. There is a big difference between the two.

A lot of people use the term "Outlook" when they're talking about Exchange (which is what you are doing here). However, you are not syncing to Outlook. you are updating the Exchange server. Outlook gets its information from the server that you update. You are not syncing, you are updating the same source, using two different clients.

Now, I think it's time for you to climb off the high horse, and understand the error you are making.

The Pre is not going to sync with Outlook out of the box (probably, though nothing is really definite yet). If it were syncing with Outlook, there would be no need for an Exchange server.
    Pre needs to be released before the forum collapses in anger and angst.
  10.    #50  
    I'm glad to see my topic up at the top again, but it seems this thread is taking a turn for the worse.

People are not getting along anymore! This was unheard of a few months ago, but with all the stress of not knowing anything more than we knew a few months ago, it is nearing the breaking point.

Can't we all just get along?!
    Hey Crogs turns out you might owe Mikah an apology!
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  12. 3_D
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I'm glad to see my topic up at the top again, but it seems this thread is taking a turn for the worse.

People are not getting along anymore! This was unheard of a few months ago, but with all the stress of not knowing anything more than we knew a few months ago, it is nearing the breaking point.

Can't we all just get along?!
    This IS the Viral Campaign!!!!!

PALMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    We'll all get the answer to that question when we finally get the Pre. Just a few more weeks guys.

Peace.
    Does Mikah ever deserve one? just kidding of course. I don't know if it's semantics or what... I do remember prefacing syncing with outlook w/exchange in my original comments. So I have no clue what his reasoning is behind the posts.

He mentioned haven't heard about syncing with outlook. I mentioned it's been common knowedge it'll sync with outlook via exchange which is correct. It even says so on Palm's website:
    2 Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Within wireless coverage area only. Requires data services at additional cost.
    So I'm trying to understand where I'm wrong in my statement. "Requires MS Outlook using MS Exchange Server". I said "Outlook through Exchange will work out of the box." There is nothing incorrect with that statement regardless if many people are using Outlook directly which brings up the other issue that many of us have which is local syncing and forcing people to change or pay more money for something Palm users have done for free for the past 13 years.

This thread is about questioning how synergy will or won't work with WHATEVER PIM the person happens to be using. I don't understand the point of challenging if it would or wouldn't sync DIRECTLY with Outlook. It really served no point for the discussion. But whatever floats his boat. I'll just add him to the ignore list mikah is on

Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Hey Crogs turns out you might owe Mikah an apology!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Pre needs to be released before the forum collapses in anger and angst.
    Before??? It did months ago lol.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I might have to try this out with the SDK. Gotta ask a friend if he wants to help test this.
    This thread is about questioning how synergy will or won't work with WHATEVER PIM the person happens to be using. I don't understand the point of challenging if it would or wouldn't sync DIRECTLY with Outlook. It really served no point for the discussion. But whatever floats his boat. I'll just add him to the ignore list mikah is on
    The point of challenging is this:

Outlook but no Exchange server: Will not sync out of the box
    Outlook using Exchange server: Will sync nout of the box

If the Pre synced directly to Outlook, no Exchange server would be needed.
    way to go captain obvious...
    I dunno how this turned into an Exchange thread when the OP originally asked about Facebook, I'm gonna try testing the facebook question the OP had. And as far as I saw, Facebook syncing is all or nothing. I will have to test if deleting contacts and re-syncing will revive them.
    someone cared more about having to point out the outlook things than the actual questions we were trying to answer.

So you're a beta tester or advocate?

Can you see if the PIM info from facebook will sync back to your main PIM? That is if you're syncing to a PIM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast