Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    From a video I saw with an interaction, I believe it will keep the old number and then also give the new number.

Also, in regards to the other questions, isn't the phone color-coding the numbers listed under each contact so the user knows the source that they came from?

CTIA: Palm Pre walkthrough tnkgrl Mobile

^^^I think this was the video where the more complex parts of synergy are shown.
    There was a question?
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Anyone give a shot at answering my initial question?
    I think the safe answer is we just don't know yet. We're all throwing around possible hypotheticals with no real answers. Though I don't think I'd be happy if I have contact from my desktop PIM who's also on my various online sites that ends up giving me two tons of contact info when I click on their contact info. Four numbers, three emails and such.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think the point of PIM/desktop solutions was to make sure there was a back-up of the PIM info from your phone. Synergy replaces that.

But maybe I'm wrong.

And yeah, no one's answering definitively because, no one knows the answer.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4.    #24  
    I really wish they would show us how this feature works. I just would really hate for my 600+ contacts to be added to my phone. That would just be silly. There HAS to be a way to filter out the people you don't want on your phone...one would think...
    I really wish they would show us how this feature works. I just would really hate for my 600+ contacts to be added to my phone. That would just be silly. There HAS to be a way to filter out the people you don't want on your phone...one would think...
    You DON'T want your contacts to be added? Did I miss a post or something?

Why not?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    You DON'T want your contacts to be added? Did I miss a post or something?

Why not?
    I don't want ALL of my 600 contacts on Facebook to be put on my phone because they have a phone number or email address listed. I simply don't talk to everyone all the time. There are just a select few people that I talk to on a daily basis where I would want their contact information updated...not everyone. If that were the case and I couldn't filter out people who I don't want on my phone from facebook, I would have over 600 entries on my phone. That would just be crazy.
    +1 Why would I want every acquaintance or semi-contact on all of my social or business networking sites on my phone? My contacts on yahoo or aol have well over 1000 email adrs in there from email's past that have zilch to do with people I talk to or write to on any normal basis. My main PIM is the resource. The rest is just fluff. Any kind of new addition or something worthwhile gets manually added to the main PIM.

I don't want ALL of my 600 contacts on Facebook to be put on my phone because they have a phone number or email address listed. I simply don't talk to everyone all the time. There are just a select few people that I talk to on a daily basis where I would want their contact information updated...not everyone. If that were the case and I couldn't filter out people who I don't want on my phone from facebook, I would have over 600 entries on my phone. That would just be crazy.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8.    #28  
    I think I figured out how synergy works...here was my question...

What if I have 600+ contacts on facebook...I would not want all of them put on my phone if they have a number or email address listed. I just wouldn't make sense to have everyone on my phone if I only talked to 10% of them on a regular basis.

Answer: (see screenshot below)

Let's say you have 100 contacts in your phone..actually ON your phone locally. There is a 'link more profiles' button for each contact. You have to manually link facebook, gmail, etc for each contact you want linked to those services to be updated. It would be time consuming the first time around if you have a lot of contacts, but I think this is how it is set up. You choose your local contacts on your phone that you want the 'synergy' to happen with. Make sense to anyone else?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    eh. I'd rather have it search my linked sites to see what contacts have other associations. Then I could decide on a per contact basis if I want them synergized or not. They could simply come up in list form with a little check box in front of them. And then a little button at the bottom that says "Synergize".

What if I have 600+ contacts on facebook...I would not want all of them put on my phone if they have a number or email address listed. I just wouldn't make sense to have everyone on my phone if I only talked to 10% of them on a regular basis.

Let's say you have 100 contacts in your phone..actually ON your phone locally. There is a 'link more profiles' button for each contact. You have to manually link facebook, gmail, etc for each contact you want linked to those services to be updated. It would be time consuming the first time around if you have a lot of contacts, but I think this is how it is set up. You choose your local contacts on your phone that you want the 'synergy' to happen with. Make sense to anyone else?
    nice catch

I can't say that I get it, but maybe I'm in the minority.

You were asking if the Facebook contacts would be on your phone but your answer addressed contacts that were already on your phone... from what I (mis?)understood.
    Those unlinked contacts kinda concern me.

If I go through the trouble of somehow entering or uploading my "regular" phone contacts onto the Pre but don't want them linked to Gmail or whatever... then I'm just stuck if something happens to my phone?

I guess that's the chance I'd be taking if I bought the product, but it really speaks to the value of a ... local client? Y'know, like Palm Desktop.

Oh well. That's the past, I guess.
    Pure speculation on my part, but I've been assuming that the "Link more profiles" button is a manual dedup facility.

Your pre is going to suck down all the contacts on any service you tell it to, and attempt to match up people that appear on more than one data source. But it's not going to be 100% successful in cases where my gmail contact John Q. Smith at jsmith@gmail.com has facebook logonid crazyjon and only lists his phone number - so there's no way to generate an association between the two.

So the Pre has to give me some mechanism to assert that crazyjon is the same person as jsmith@gmail.com. I've been assuming that's what the "Link more profiles" button is.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    There was a question?

I think the safe answer is we just don't know yet. We're all throwing around possible hypotheticals with no real answers. Though I don't think I'd be happy if I have contact from my desktop PIM who's also on my various online sites that ends up giving me two tons of contact info when I click on their contact info. Four numbers, three emails and such.
    very well said ,
    Folks have two plus email accounts , and three plus subscriptions to linkedin,facebook and twitter.
    Sometimes folks have two plus facebook accounts too.

For the most of these sites , EMAIL is a primary key (database speak).
    If you have an email form google , yahoo and hotmail, you can start a new facebook account.

I would wait and see how it all works after the release.
  15. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Palm Desktop has my most complete PIM info in it. If I want to have someone's info available I'll put it in manually.

Exactly. Palm seems to be ignoring people who have a consolidated PIM through Palm's own products, managed through their desktop. This same user also commented on how it looks like your phone will be the one place to get all the consolidated info. I'm sorry but it's good to have info on my phone for when I MAKE A PHONE CALL or when I'm away from my computer, out in the world. However when I'm able to get to my computer with its 13" (not 3") screen and full comfy keyboard, I like to view and edit info there, and though I can do this if/when I switch to Google contacts/calendar to make the best of my Pre, if it's not ALL in one place it becomes difficult.
    I've said it a few times in other threads.

But this is how it works on my blackberry.

My contacts on my phone (which are synced from Google for me) are then searched with my facebook app, then based on Name/email/phone number (2 of the 3 it seems) it syncs with facebook contacts that match up.
    syncs how? does it replace or overwrite current PIM info? Does it just add unwanted info? From what I know it actually becomes part of your BB PIM so then it syncs back to your main PIM (google in your case). Seems like there's flaws with that as well. And with Synergy being more of an overlay, how does it react with your main PIM data?
    Just adds Job information, profile pic and "facebook name" info.
    What if Outlook is my main database, and some of my contacts in Outlook are friends of mine on facebook. So it'd be nice if they had info on FB that wasn't in Outlook it would add it. But in doing so, do I now have to have all my Friends on FB in my Outlook? I really wonder how you can control the Synergy.
    I haven't heard anything yet about syncing to Outlook. However, if/when they do, everything I've heard says that the Pre won't transfer information from one source to another.

However, if it's your Outlook, and there is something to sync with it, there's nothing to stop you from updating your Outlook with the information from FaceBook.
    that's what I pretty much thought, and what I don't get. At least give me the option to have it update outlook. If I manually have to update my main source be it google, outlook or whatever, then I don't get the point of synergy.
    The point is to consolodate all of the outside information to one unit. Not for the unit to update all of the information between sources.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast