Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been really excited about the Palm Pre coming out ever since I heard about it in January and have been doing some thinking about how I'll use it. I've been thinking through how I'll move everything I currently do locally (email, contacts, memos, tasks, calendar) to the cloud so I can use the Pre to its fullest capability.

Currently I use Microsoft Outlook for all these 5 things. But I don't have a corporate exchange server or anything like that - so if I want things to be synced on my desktop to my Pre, I'll have to move all my information so that it "lives" in the cloud. This isn't a problem for email - I'll just use IMAP. Tasks is no problem either - RTM or something similar will do fine. I think for calendar, I can be happy making my google calendar my primary calendar and then use google sync if I want to see stuff on outlook. Or ditch outlook entirely and just use google online.

But I'm most stumped about memos (which aren't a huge deal) and contacts (which are a bigger deal). Has anyone given any thought to how to move contacts to the cloud? Google contacts doesn't seem to have all the fields that I use in Outlook. I've looked into Plaxo and it seems like it might be the best bet, but it doesn't have a 2-way sync to gmail and when I'm composing emails, I want the latest contact information available to me.

Any thoughts? About this or other issues with moving information to the cloud?
    The best solution for this is Exchange ActiveSync, which is literally just an internet-based Outlook server.

If you don't need to sync to both a Pre and Outlook on your desktop, there's mail2web, which has a free Exchange Server. If you do need desktop Outlook to connect to it you'll need MAPI support, and for that, there's a few options, including mail2web's inexpensive pay version.

Edit: Just went to look up the price, and it seems mail2web live isn't free anymore as of this month, sorry. Their formerly free service is now $5 monthly, and their version that includes desktop Outlook support is $10.
    I'm "in the cloud" with an exchange account from sherweb ( #1 Microsoft Hosted Exchange & Sharepoint Web Hosting | SherWeb ).

Yes, it costs $9 per month, but I've been MORE than happy with the service since around aug/sep 08.

I'll admit the cost is high per month if you are broke... I don't miss the $9... it is money well spent.

I went with an exchange account due to wanting to sync multiple computers (and handhelds) in a simple manner. I got tired of not having my information around... I can get my stuff online, handheld, or computer with ease... I love it...

If I were not using this, I might go with google's solution... although, I am not a fan of google's "version" of imap... I've not tried their "version" of activesync though... not sure how they butchered that....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the tips. It's helpful. I hadn't really considered going the full on Exchange route. I'd actually be OK not using Outlook at all on my computer. I don't see a huge advantage to using it over using web mail, web contacts, etc. I'll look into those two hosted Exchange options.

But I'm more interested in the functionality that I use Outlook for rather than replacing the whole package. (I realize my thread title didn't imply that). And I really want to avoid paying anything for it...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I am not a fan of google's "version" of imap...
    Just curious - what don't you like about google's IMAP implementation? I've heard others complain, but haven't heard specific issues.
    - email, contacts, memos, tasks, calendar -

This is exactly what I've been trying to do over the last few months.

I have been a fan of outlook while I have only been using 1 machine. Active sync was ok when I only wanted to sync it to my phone but now I want to use a variety of devices from a range of locations. Sure, Exchange server seems to be a solution but I don't like the fees.

Here are my solutions and gaps...

I think Gmail is brilliant. Serves me perfectly for email. Less good, though for contact management.

For that I'm trying batchbook. It's good. Very good for my contacts and to-dos. Not a fully fledged CMS but is good for my purposes.

Google calendar is almost OK. But it doesn't have the 7-day view like outlook. That's my favourite view.

I'm almost there. Paying for Batchbook but everything else is free.

I'd be grateful for any other tips on what I could do better.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, I'm with you on most of your solutions. Gmail for email, Google calendar for calendar, I'm using Remember the Milk for todos.

Contacts is where I'm really hung up. Google contacts don't have near enough fields or information to transfer all my info from Outlook. I really don't want to pay for something. Right now I'm using Plaxo, which is OK, but I'm not sure I like exactly how it works. I'd love to find a free contact manager, but I need a lot of functionality - I want it to sync with gmail and outlook so I can do mail merge for Christmas letters and stuff like that.

I haven't found a great solution for memos yet, but I haven't looked as hard. I'd need to import my memos from Outlook. But then I'm OK with them only being available online. I might try Evernote. It looks like it may work, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Does anyone out there have a great (and free) contact manager in the cloud?
    Quote Originally Posted by andywaring12 View Post
    Google calendar is almost OK. But it doesn't have the 7-day view like outlook. That's my favourite view.
    Uh, yes it does. In the settings page you can change the 3 day view to anything from 2-7 days and 2-4 weeks.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    I'm "in the cloud" with an exchange account from sherweb ( #1 Microsoft Hosted Exchange & Sharepoint Web Hosting | SherWeb ).

Yes, it costs $9 per month, but I've been MORE than happy with the service since around aug/sep 08.

I'll admit the cost is high per month if you are broke... I don't miss the $9... it is money well spent.

I went with an exchange account due to wanting to sync multiple computers (and handhelds) in a simple manner. I got tired of not having my information around... I can get my stuff online, handheld, or computer with ease... I love it...

If I were not using this, I might go with google's solution... although, I am not a fan of google's "version" of imap... I've not tried their "version" of activesync though... not sure how they butchered that....
    I went over to Outlook out of necessity due to moving from the 755p to the 800w...

I have learned to like it, but having multiple computers, and the lack of successful syncing on different computer with WinMo... I am forced to not have my info up-to-date on everything...

You setup sounds very similar to what I would like to achieve...but I have no idea about Exchange or how to set it up... any tips?

And do you think I should keep my setup like this until the Pre comes out to see what is really up with its PIM?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    i think everyone should just sit tight until the Pre is released and we see exactly what kind of sync and email and cloud and push capabilities and partners and services are included.

this need to rush and kamikaze jump off the cliff into some provider's version of the cloud before you know the deal is a bad move IMO.

relax and wait for all of the facts before you cause yourself unnecessary stress by trying to shoehorn yourself and your data into an application or service which may or may not be the optimal solution given the final Pre package.

good luck all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i think everyone should just sit tight until the Pre is released and we see exactly what kind of sync and email and cloud and push capabilities and partners and services are included.
    We kinda have to sit tight and wait since Palm and Sprint have decided no one's allowed to plan ahead on how they might have their Pre fit into their daily lives.
    Right on Kupe. This is why
    when I get the Pre ( soon I hope) I'm not going to activate it. I'll use WiFi to browse and sync but I will not crown the Pre as a replacement to my 755 until all of the PIM and sync issues are solved and working well. Sure would be nice if we knew more so we could plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    We kinda have to sit tight and wait since Palm and Sprint have decided no one's allowed to plan ahead on how they might have their Pre fit into their daily lives.
    For this to be a big, big win for Palm and Sprint, they will have something worked out upon launch. They wont risk someone not getting it cause of the PIM info. Palm is known for that, and Palm will have it. So far, Palm has been on the money for everything else, something will be released, trust me.....
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Sorry but I just feel that paying a monthly subscription fee to access my data on my phone is for suckers. Sounds like much of the cloud is 'pay to play' I really hope Palm protects users from this by directly providing sync options other than Exchange. If not, this combined with no expandable memory somehow gives me a really boxed in feeling with the Pre.

PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I love free. I want a free Pre, a free Rolex, and a really great free Porche.

Of course all that sounds ridiculous. Why does it not sound that way when people want free software or services that provide real value to them? It does take real money to develop software, buy servers, hire tech support. Shouldn't the companies that do a good job get paid?

End of Rant from a software developer.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Sorry but I just feel that paying a monthly subscription fee to access my data on my phone is for suckers. Sounds like much of the cloud is 'pay to play' I really hope Palm protects users from this by directly providing sync options other than Exchange. If not, this combined with no expandable memory somehow gives me a really boxed in feeling with the Pre.
    You get what you pay for.... you pay nothing... you get nothing.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    Just curious - what don't you like about google's IMAP implementation? I've heard others complain, but haven't heard specific issues.
    My biggest problem is that when I delete a message on my desktop it simply gets archived. If I want to send it to the trash I need to drag it there manually. The other problem I have is more with the Mac Mail (Outlook does it too) in that it likes to create its own folders. Other than that, it ends up working just fine on a desktop.

The other problem that I could see happening is that every message in a "folder" (things you label) also show up in your inbox until you archive them. This works well enough online due to the good built in search. This is not as useful on the desktops because the Inbox gets quite large unless you are an archiving fiend.
    What are you talking about? Let me say it slowly:
    1. I cant wait to BUY the Pre.
    2. I have and will BUY desktop PIM software
    3. Buying a simple cable should be all that is required for sync. (and all that was for over 10 years)
    4. Cloud sync is great too, but making it exclusive seems predatory.

Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    I love free. I want a free Pre, a free Rolex, and a really great free Porche.

Of course all that sounds ridiculous. Why does it not sound that way when people want free software or services that provide real value to them? It does take real money to develop software, buy servers, hire tech support. Shouldn't the companies that do a good job get paid?

End of Rant from a software developer.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    4. Cloud sync is great too, but making it exclusive seems predatory.
    I have always had a problem with the sync model, I know some people have made it work and good for them, but to me it is just way convoluted, especially working with multiple computers. I think palm is going in the right direction with this.

There are servers and there are clients. Devices should be either one or the other, and clients should never be storing data, just accessing it, possibly caching it for offline viewing. With syncing, there is no authoritative owner of the data, it could be the device with the latest updated information, or it could be one of multiple computers if that's the way your syncing. IMO the server/client model is much better.

For those who don't have exchange where they work though, I hope palm releases their own cloud solution with this palm profile thing, something similar to mobile me, but cheap/free.

Oh, side question, obviously some of you have much more advanced PIM needs than I do, so I'd like to ask, what is it that gmail contacts is lacking?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    My biggest problem is that when I delete a message on my desktop it simply gets archived. If I want to send it to the trash I need to drag it there manually. The other problem I have is more with the Mac Mail (Outlook does it too) in that it likes to create its own folders. Other than that, it ends up working just fine on a desktop.

The other problem that I could see happening is that every message in a "folder" (things you label) also show up in your inbox until you archive them. This works well enough online due to the good built in search. This is not as useful on the desktops because the Inbox gets quite large unless you are an archiving fiend.
    Thanks for explaining. I actually like the archiving on delete feature. I like Google's basic archive idea instead of deleting. I can totally understand why you might not like it though. That make sense. And the inbox thing doesn't bother me because I guess I'm an "archiving fiend."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast