Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    for starters, Gmail -

1. doesn't have Memos/Notes PIM.
    2. doesn't separate First and Last Name in Contacts - and inconsistencies with the standard PIM format - MS Outlook.
    3. doesn't have the Safety/Security/Privacy/Control of Local Storage.
    4. requires a sign in/password.
    5. requires an internet connection (Offline Contacts?).
    6. slower than a local App - i don't like having to open/go/navigate through a browser just to get my friggin PIM data. latency issues.
    7. doesn't have the clean, easy, intuitive, fast, smooth, fast interface of a local Palm Desktop.
    8. Gmail calendar isn't as tightly integrated as in Palm Desktop.
    9. poor use of screen real estate/poor layout/GUI vs. Palm Desktop. cluttered and cramped.
    10. no integration with Docs to Go - yes i like NATIVE REAL Office files.
    11. how long will it be before they jam ads down our throats?
    12. poor ease of backup.
    Last edited by Gekko; 04/30/2009 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    My biggest problem is that when I delete a message on my desktop it simply gets archived. If I want to send it to the trash I need to drag it there manually. The other problem I have is more with the Mac Mail (Outlook does it too) in that it likes to create its own folders. Other than that, it ends up working just fine on a desktop.

The other problem that I could see happening is that every message in a "folder" (things you label) also show up in your inbox until you archive them. This works well enough online due to the good built in search. This is not as useful on the desktops because the Inbox gets quite large unless you are an archiving fiend.
    Agree - I have loaded Google IMAP twice in Outlook and end up going back to POP just to keep it simple.

I use hosted Exchange as I have a small business - but I paid $5/mo before I had a business b/c once you have it, you will understand how great it is! Guess I am just a "sucker". I am sure Google apps will still be free and Palm will support connection to Google for all of you non-suckers who want "free". But as stated above, if you want everything the OP needed you might have to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Agree - I have loaded Google IMAP twice in Outlook and end up going back to POP just to keep it simple.

I use hosted Exchange as I have a small business - but I paid $5/mo before I had a business b/c once you have it, you will understand how great it is! Guess I am just a "sucker". I am sure Google apps will still be free and Palm will support connection to Google for all of you non-suckers who want "free". But as stated above, if you want everything the OP needed you might have to pay for it.
    What Exchange service are you using that's so inexpensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    What Exchange service are you using that's so inexpensive?
    The $5/mo option was mail2web about 2 years ago. Sherweb is about $9/mo as stated earlier, but I think 1and1 has some cheaper ones for $7 (maybe).

We are getting ready to move to Microsoft's online version for $10/mo - but you have to buy 5 seats minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    The $5/mo option was mail2web about 2 years ago. Sherweb is about $9/mo as stated earlier, but I think 1and1 has some cheaper ones for $7 (maybe).

We are getting ready to move to Microsoft's online version for $10/mo - but you have to buy 5 seats minimum.
    Good deal, thanks! The first options seem entirely reasonable to me... Microsoft's would be nice, but only if they'd sell just a two seats (myself and my wife).

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    I have always had a problem with the sync model, I know some people have made it work and good for them, but to me it is just way convoluted, especially working with multiple computers. I think palm is going in the right direction with this.

There are servers and there are clients. Devices should be either one or the other, and clients should never be storing data, just accessing it, possibly caching it for offline viewing. With syncing, there is no authoritative owner of the data, it could be the device with the latest updated information, or it could be one of multiple computers if that's the way your syncing. IMO the server/client model is much better.

For those who don't have exchange where they work though, I hope palm releases their own cloud solution with this palm profile thing, something similar to mobile me, but cheap/free.

Oh, side question, obviously some of you have much more advanced PIM needs than I do, so I'd like to ask, what is it that gmail contacts is lacking?
    I think asforme makes some excellent points here. I've been using Palm devices for a long time, syncing at home and at work. For the most part, it works ok...except when something goes wrong.

1. Docs to Go constantly got confused about which platform had the definitive copy of a document, so it would conservatively keep both copies when it wasn't sure. Back and forth, home and work, the documents would keep cloning. I eventually gave up and synced D2G only to one desktop.

2. About twice a year, my calendar would get munged and my work PC would perceive everything on the device as new events. And on the Lotus Notes system I was syncing to, that meant anyone jointly scheduled to a meeting that I was scheduled for would get an invitation to this "new" meeting. Major confusion.

Like asforme says: data wants to have an authoritative source. Multiple applications/devices may need viewing and/or editing rights on that data, but it's just asking for trouble to allow multiple live copies of the same data to coexist.

On your side question: In preparation for jumping to the Pre, I now maintain my contact info on Google. It's ok, but:

1. The interface for maintaining/editing contacts is pretty clunky.

2. The fields available aren't as rich/granular as I'd like. For example, there's no lastname or firstname field, just "name". There's no street, city or zip code field, just a big "address" text box. This is perfectly consistent with Google's philosophy of relying on search, not structure, but it makes the data harder to export to or use in other environments. If I wanted to use the contacts in a mail-merge application, I'd need to manually parse the exported data into separate fields. Ugh.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12