Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apr 03, 2009 15:21 ET
    CompanionLink Will Sync Microsoft Outlook to Palm Pre Using Google

CompanionLink for Google Works as a Two-Way Sync Connector Between Microsoft® Outlook® and GoogleTM; Palm® PreTM Users Can Then Use Palm® SynergyTM to Sync Data Over-the-Air With Their Phones

PORTLAND, OR--(Marketwire - April 3, 2009) - CompanionLink Software, a leader in synchronization solutions, offers a two-way sync solution between Microsoft Outlook and Google. Palm has separately announced their Palm Synergy technology will link the Palm Pre phone to Google Contacts and Calendar services. While Palm has offered a solution to link Microsoft Exchange with the Palm Pre, CompanionLink's solution will guarantee that standalone Microsoft Outlook users also have a two-way sync solution available.

CompanionLink Will Sync Microsoft Outlook to Palm Pre Using Google
    Ok, I just read the link.

Does this mean you won't be able to sync directly between the Pre and your laptop as one does now?

Or do you have to go through Google?
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    i think it will have to come thru google. Nice try CompanionLink. Not what we wanted. But might force me to put my PIMS in GOogle which i hope i didnt have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i think it will have to come thru google. Nice try CompanionLink. Not what we wanted.
    Definitely not what I wanted.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yup, not what I want. A true Desktop sync solution please!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Bah! Don't want more Microcrap software on my computer than I have to. Outlook is big, bloated and overkill. If it could sync with PD I might be slightly excited. If I would have to give any effort into maintaining whatever on google I would be disappointed. I still don't get the abandonment of desktop sync. Cloud syncing should be an option, not the all of a sudden new standard.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I sync to the Palm desktop with CompanionLink. See my original solution here. I have since given up on Goosync and am syncing directly with Google.
    I think Palm should include a software sync for Outlook and Palm Desktop instead of making people spend another $30 on top of the Pre.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I second, third and fourth that, Jimmie
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    This is probably one of the most convenient sync software that I've used. And I'd really like it more if they included it on one of the Palm phones of the future.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I am a little confused. I think I can already sync my gmail info to outlook.

http://www.google.com/support/calend...n&answer=89955
    Last edited by mobileman; 04/04/2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Just went to the website, under supported PIM and desktop clients it lists.......

Palm Desktop

* versions 2 and higher

So, I do not think Outlook is required.
    Last edited by mobileman; 04/04/2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Just went to the website, under supported PIM and desktop clients it lists.......

Palm Desktop

* versions 2 and higher

So, I do not think Outlook is required.
    No you dont need outlook, I like the palm desktop, actualy I use Agendus for palm, then I use companionlink to sync my Palm PIM info to Google, then I use Goosync to sync google to my HTC Touch, so I am syncing my Palm Desktop to my Windows device, so if the Pre will sync with Google you can use the Palm Desktop...well for your desktop app.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I sync to the Palm desktop with CompanionLink. See my original solution here. I have since given up on Goosync and am syncing directly with Google.
    Alli nice to see you here, thanks for your help at Iambic!
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I think Palm should include a software sync for Outlook and Palm Desktop instead of making people spend another $30 on top of the Pre.
    I think the idea is that if the Palm OS is dead then why use the desktop, and why use either if you are going to sync with Google!
    You could also use Thunderbird, and Lightneen as your pim for your desktop, it intigrates pretty well with google, and its free, the only reason I didnt stay with this solutioin is because I baught the Agendus program, I got used to it, and there where a few times that I had trouble with my internet, this way I could atleast access my desktop, see my apointments, and make new ones, just had to wait for the internet to sync them to my hand held.
    Terry
    So for a solution that syncs the Pre directly to a computer without going through a server first, I guess the question is whether or not the PIM information will be accessible through the USB mass storage capability. If it can be accessed, and the interfaces are available, then it seems like it shouldn't be hard to sync directly, and I would expect a solution for it very quickly. If, on the other hand, the PIM information is not accessible, as I fear since one might imagine Palm guarding that info so as not to screw it up, then I think direct sync would require interaction between an app on the computer and an app on the Pre via the USB cable, which probably requires a deeper level of integration than what can be achieved through the SDK. In that case, I think we'll have to wait.

But I have to say that syncing with Google or Exchange is superior in many ways to direct sync through the cable. When information is simply always in sync without any extra user steps it is very enabling.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post

But I have to say that syncing with Google or Exchange is superior in many ways to direct sync through the cable. When information is simply always in sync without any extra user steps it is very enabling.
    I have to agree, from the time I got my 300 I started looking for a way to sync wirelessly, yeah some times it has its little glitches but for the most part it runs smoothly for me, right now I use Goosync for my hand held, but just as soon as google sync supports multiple calendars as catigories I will probibly go that route, I have absolutly no problem with the cloud!
    Terry
    Maybe we should have a poll to see how many people want a true offline Desktop (Palm Desktop/Outlook) sync as opposed to Cloud sync.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Part of the problem is that neither internet nor cell service is accessible 100% of the time. And for those times where you need to deal extensively with large chunks of your pim data, it's helpful to be able to access it on your desktop. I routinely have a laptop with me in a place where there is no internet available. (Yes, places like that still exist.) I need to update addresses, phone numbers, etc. at that time and it's much easier/faster to do it on the laptop rather than on my handheld. So I want to have access to my pim data on the laptop. It can sync itself later when I'm back in service.

(Hi Terry!)
    its pathetic and self destructive for Palm to crap on their oldest and most loyal customers by not making a version of the Palm Desktop for the Pre. At a minimum they have to provide a clean, glitchfree method of migrating current Palm Desktop data to their new platform. (a method that will precisely preserve data as the users have it entered -- even if it is not in strict compliance with the data entry protocols).

It is unfathomable that they are so antaginistically brain dead as to not want to encourage the affections and loyalty of the many Palm Desktop users who are apropriately fearful of losing their valuable data -- and who won't adopt the Pre without the certainty that their data will be preserved absolutely -- and in a form that's locally "owned".
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast