1.    #1  
    I've seen articles and posts that suggest that battery life on the Pre will be greatly improved with PUSH e-mail implementation.

Maybe I don't understand how these things work, but I'd expect it would be more energy efficient to periodically check for new mail - even automatically.

Anybody care to enlighten me?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    As I understand it, many kinds of Push can work without maintaining an open data connection. The phone will receive an alert over the network when a mail it ready to be received and then make a data connection only when it needs to.

Whereas Pull will have to fire up the data radio every 5 10 30 minutes, connect, recieve the news that there is or is not mail, download it if there is and then close the connection.
  3.    #3  
    It's hard for me to conceive of a network which wouldn't require an active connection, yet would allow the phone to receive an alert, but I'll try to accept it as fact and consider it a lesson learned for the day. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    It's hard for me to conceive of a network which wouldn't require an active connection, yet would allow the phone to receive an alert, but I'll try to accept it as fact and consider it a lesson learned for the day. Thanks.
    If I understand you correctly it may be easier to think of it like this:
    your phone may have 2 days of stand by time and only 5 hours of talk time.
    a data connection drains the battery the same as a call does so with a true push solution you cut down your power usage..... could you imagine calling your voicemail every 10 minutes to check for a message
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  5.    #5  

Many thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    If I understand you correctly it may be easier to think of it like this:
    your phone may have 2 days of stand by time and only 5 hours of talk time.
    a data connection drains the battery the same as a call does so with a true push solution you cut down your power usage..... could you imagine calling your voicemail every 10 minutes to check for a message
    If you are interested in the full technical details of Microsoft's push implementation (Exchange Activesync), there is a decent summary posted on Microsoft's page:

Understanding Direct Push

I imagine that other push implementations use similar methods to keep an idle connection until something changes.
    -Tony
    I wonder the same thing. I understand the example above, but if I get 40 emails per day, I would think it would be less of a battery drain to open a data connection 10 times per day (once per hour) and download 4 messages at a time, than it would be to open a data connection 40 separate times.

Of course, I could be wrong - it just seems that there is a good amount of lag time in which data is streaming in an effort to make a connection, and this lag is sometimes longer than the actual downloading of messages.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I wonder the same thing. I understand the example above, but if I get 40 emails per day, I would think it would be less of a battery drain to open a data connection 10 times per day (once per hour) and download 4 messages at a time, than it would be to open a data connection 40 separate times.

Of course, I could be wrong - it just seems that there is a good amount of lag time in which data is streaming in an effort to make a connection, and this lag is sometimes longer than the actual downloading of messages.
    you're right but it depends how important your emails are to you.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    you're right but it depends how important your emails are to you.
    And that's a good point, as well - which leads us to something of a catch-22:

If your e-mail are more important to you, you might be more interested in PUSH.

If you're using PUSH (and getting immediate notification of new messages), your e-mail may become more important to you.

It occurs to me that I'd use my e-mail functionality different if I knew that I (and my recipients) would receive immediate notification of new messages. Kinda like using i.m. through my Treo. I was thrilled when I found that I could approximate text messages, using instant messaging, but without worrying about an upper limit or monthly fee. And this altered my behavior - until I realized how limited my particular i.m. client was.

Similarly, if e-mail notifications were immediate, that would approximate text and instant messaging but without the character limitations, monthly fees, or restrictions on attachments and "expressions" (fonts, etc.).

This would almost certainly alter my behavior - ESPECIALLY if more of my associates had the same functionality.
  10. Zcu
    The sprint mobile email app works by sending a sms to tell the phone to pick up an email. Then the app deletes the sms so we don't see it. Cool.
    with IMAP idle, the e-mail client registers with the server, then the server sends notice to the e-mail client when there is new mail. This is more efficient than poling the server every 10 minutes to check for e-mail.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post

1 hour? Yeah, that would be more efficient, but you'd have to wait an HOUR to get some of your emails. For me, and for lots of others too, the whole point of having email on your phone is so that you can get it quickly. It does change the way you think about email.

For example, I almost never have a cache of unanswered emails laying around. I can answer them quickly, as they are received. This keeps productivity up, as anyone waiting on an answer from me gets it right away.

If you want your emails quickly, the push is going to be way more efficient. If you only care about getting your emails hourly, then yeah, I would think it would be more efficient to just get them once per hour, rather than as they come.

But the real time interaction is so worth it. With EAS and an Exchange server, calendar and contact changes also come to your phone instantly. Your primary information is always in sync. This is a beautiful thing.
    10 times a day may be fine for one who does not depend on email. Bunches of us do depend on it though and not responding quickly enough can cause problems.
    I totally agree on the concept that some folks need their mail on a more frequent basis (I used 1 hour for my example, but actually have my mail set to poll every 30 minutes).

My question was more about the frequent claim that push is better on battery life. It sounds like what I'm hearing is that it's better on battery life as compared to the extremely frequent polling required to simulate push email.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    "It sounds like what I'm hearing is that it's better on battery life as compared to the extremely frequent polling required to simulate push email."

Thats it. Its like why check for email if you dont have any new ones (polling).
    Quote Originally Posted by zcu View Post
    The sprint mobile email app works by sending a sms to tell the phone to pick up an email. Then the app deletes the sms so we don't see it. Cool.
    Until you accidentily delete the app and you get all these crazy texts because you forgot to delete your account first :]

My understanding is your e-mail will get pushed to Sprint's servers and like Sprint Mobile email it will alert you over the new messaging system they came up with Pre (it was announced briefly a few days ago). This will use less power and tell the Pre to get new e-mails
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products