Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What most users want? Most users use web mail and will have no problem using the Pre out of the box.

I think people, on forums especially, get caught up in their own uses and the uses of the people they encounter on those forums and forget that most people have much more basic needs.
    If you ever visit Palm's support forums, you will see that many people are utterly stymied by the concept of syncing. They don't follow setup directions and use a considerable amount of support resources. Many are on corporate OTA sync and have no idea this is what is happening. Making the Pre sync OTA only alleviates the education and support issues along with the sleuthing necessary to determine what is running on the user's computer.

I am not an Outlook user, nor do I use Google or Yahoo calendars with Garnet; no Mac either. Palm Desktop exists merely as a backup and I look at it only to answer questions on discussion boards to help others. Hotsync exists to backup my data or install apps. I've operated this way for many years.

I anticipate over time there will be a number of ways to backup/sync the Pre to a computer and the Cloud. Getting the existing data from an old device to the Pre without Outlook is what I want to know more about before I buy.
  3.    #23  
    Think you're in the wrong thread. This has nothing to do with mail. And what mail service a person uses is far from an indicator of what they use for a PIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    What most users want? Most users use web mail and will have no problem using the Pre out of the box.

I think people, on forums especially, get caught up in their own uses and the uses of the people they encounter on those forums and forget that most people have much more basic needs.
    Detective definitely isn't far off. My one friend went from dumphone to BB to iPhone to a Treo 680 and doesn't use Outlook, web based PIM and is just getting around to putting Palm Desktop on her computer. I had to walk her through everything every step of the way.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/04/2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It is not being terrified of change at all. It is being concerned that the change being made does not fit the situation or has not been thought out enough to fit a situation one may be in at a given moment or routinely.

As stated, connection goes down, in an area with little/no coverage - those are issues all users should be concerned with. There are locations I am in routinely that have NO cell service from ANY carrier - the device resets and what to do - gotta go outside to take care of the situation. That really is not practical in all instances. There should be more than one way to sync and the cloud as the only way is really a step backward.
    I think the major issue here is we don't know what type of sync will be available.

I use a microsoft exchange solution and don't have any issues with my data being sync or having access to my data when I'm not in an area with reception... nor do I have an issue when I need to sync my data with a computer and I'm not in an area with reception... I use either BT or USB and sync away locally. Heck, if I did not want to use OTA, I could use only local sync.

Point is I'm sure palm will allow free local sync... it is like all the threads and tons of pages of made people before palm announced "classic" apps... palm does not want to release ALL the information right now... they have a while before release.

I'm in the group that says free local sync will be available... if not, then the pre might not be for you...

Far as a palm desktop type software, I'm not sure... outlook is simply the best PIM on the market... it rocks. I'm guessing palm could build some simplistic solution... but then it won't be able to compete with outlook... and I'm not even sure Palm wants to start building software.... that is why they need outside developers. Outside developers want to be paid... unlike OpenOffice and the "free software movement" people need to be paid for their services.

In the past palm built a pim because there were no other solutions available... now we have tons of options available. Matter of finding a solution you can live with...

My take on it anyway....
    Last edited by theog; 04/04/2009 at 05:37 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I am realy only interested in the pre as a novelty, I will probibly never own one, I use a windows device, but I sync through the cloud, and I have no problems with that at all, I am one of those graybeards that took advantadge of the new services.
    If a person got the correct version of Companionlink it would only cost a one time fee of $30.00 now how much is the pre going to cost? $30 is a small fee, once you have this in place you can use your palm desktop, from what I understand, and i might be wrong but isnt the pre supposed to sync with google out of the box?
    Problem solved in my opinion.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think one of the big reasons they are pushing cloud syncing is because it is so simple. Once the device is set up, the user never has to do anything. If the user makes a change to a contact on the device, it is automatically updated on the server. Of course the other reason they are pushing cloud syncing is to create revenue streams.

I am so ready to be done with syncing with my desktop. It often works fine, but there are times when my entire calendar gets duplicated and I have to go through and delete all the duplicate entries, such a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    In a nutshell, if Palm doesn't make it amazingly simple to sync, then it will suffer. Local sync should be as simple as plugging it in via USB and syncing Outlook. If it can't do that out of the box, then palm has problems. I can work around them, but the average buyer won't.

For others that want cloud syncing and pay monthly for it. Have fun with it. Don't want to stand in your way.

The key is being simple and having the device ready out of the box. This is what most users want.

As for not wanting to change, this is palm's last grasp for air. This isn't the time for them to start (force?) a revolution. They simply need to accommodate what the market is now. Keep the cloud and offer it, promote it, whatever, but pushing it as the only way is stupid.
    I value my independence too much to rely on or trust somebody else with my data/backup. It is in no way inevitable that I will be using "the cloud". But on the other hand, I also think that the USB drive capability of the Pre will enable me to back-up just fine.
    Last edited by johncc; 04/05/2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    783 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    . . . I am so ready to be done with syncing with my desktop. It often works fine, but there are times when my entire calendar gets duplicated and I have to go through and delete all the duplicate entries, such a pain.
    Just in case you didn't know about it, there's Duplicates Remover for Outlook (if you use Outlook):

MAPILab - Duplicates Remover for Outlook - Outlook plug-in for deleting duplicate contacts, notes, tasks, etc.

It is helpful with this odious task!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think one of the big reasons they are pushing cloud syncing is because it is so simple. Once the device is set up, the user never has to do anything. If the user makes a change to a contact on the device, it is automatically updated on the server. Of course the other reason they are pushing cloud syncing is to create revenue streams.

I am so ready to be done with syncing with my desktop. It often works fine, but there are times when my entire calendar gets duplicated and I have to go through and delete all the duplicate entries, such a pain.
    You all changed my mind on this. If i take a step back, i suppose google would be easier out of the box for the average user on this.

That said, i use Outlook and that won't change. I use Office so much, never met an excel spreadsheet i didn't like, and it all integrates so well. But then again i was one of those who had to have the newest beta of Office whenever it was updated. I'm such a geek..lol
  10.    #30  
    I just don't care for outlook. I never use the desktop pim to manage my day and interact with office. So while Outlook might have its good points, it is bloated and unnecessary for me. I know we all have different needs. My sister lives on Outlook, but she also works from her desk all day. I need the desktop side just to be simple for viewing and updating.

And I disagree why Palm created Palm Desktop. I think they did it to provide a complete, one company solution. And they weren't the only game in town. I know I was using Act before I had a Palm Pilot.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12