Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #1  
    How many of you had seen the 60 minutes segment last Sunday on web security. It made me think. On my 755, all the sensitive info. is kept on my computer.Not on the web. With the Pre, everything is in the cloud. On Sunday's segment, they showed viruses infiltrating the web everywhere. All of us know about web security breeches. However, this is new. And the problem is growing. Will I buy a Pre? Yes. However, sensitive stuff will not be there. Anyone that missed the program, I suggest to get a copy of it. I'm not saying that you should not get the Pre. Just be careful.

    the duck
  2. #2  
    As pointed out in several other threads, there are two problems... the first is what you point out, and is illegal and unlikely to happen (though possible)... the other is more likely; companies hosting your personal information using it for illegitimate purposes. The problem with the second is, one feels violated - if you know what I mean - though it may be "legal", if only in the strictest sense.
  3. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #3  
    As pointed out in that program, there are viruses that enable the hacker to watch every move or type that you make. They can see everything.Yes, the latter problem that you brought up is a major headache. But this can screw up your credit,life......
  4. #4  
    I'm not that concerned. Most of my work stuff is done from my lap top. Anything sensitive goes through e mail, which has it's safeguards.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  5. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #5  
    Not with that virus. Which is growing.I am not an alarmist. Again, that program raised my eyebrows. Most of these new viruses are coming from Russia.And these hackers are getting away with it.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    I am not an alarmist.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    On Sunday's segment, they showed viruses infiltrating the web everywhere.
    Words like "everywhere" are the foundation of the alarmist's lexicon. They showed several examples of the types of viruses being created/deployed. Their penetration is a long way from everywhere.
  7. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #7  
    The 60 minute piece focused on the Conficker worm. Right now this worm does nothing more than infect PC's and wait for instructions. Once your PC has been infected, the controller of the worm basically has free reign into your system, including collecting files, getting online banking credentials, etc.

    Having said that, your biggest risk is probably running Windows and having it plugged into the Internet, not storing your data in the cloud. If you choose your "cloud" vendors wisely (ie. make sure they have adequate security controls), you're probably better off storing it there than on your own PC.

    /two cents
  8. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I'm not that concerned. Most of my work stuff is done from my lap top. Anything sensitive goes through e mail, which has it's safeguards.
    Email is probably the least secure mechanism to use for transmitting sensitive data. Even if you know your message is being transmitted over an encrypted channel, you have no guarantee where that message (which contains sensitive information) may end up.
  9. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #9  
    Both of you make good points. And I admit that I might sound a little alarmist. But I'm not saying not to get the Pre or over worry about the security.Just be careful what you download.Like 3rd party apps.
  10. #10  
    The viruses and worms that infect PCs aren't going to do anything to a WebOS device. The Palm OS is terribly insecure, but too small a target to be of interest to the hacker community. Unless WebOS becomes an unbelievably big success, I'm not too worried about those problems. The iPhone doesn't (yet) seem to have a serious issue with viruses, trojans, etc. and it's sold far more than the Pre is likely to.

    But I think it is true that storing your data in the cloud is inherently less safe than on a local PC. At least if you've taken reasonable precautions on the PC, including strong AV protection, and a good firewall.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    How many of you had seen the 60 minutes segment last Sunday on web security. It made me think. On my 755, all the sensitive info. is kept on my computer.Not on the web. With the Pre, everything is in the cloud. On Sunday's segment, they showed viruses infiltrating the web everywhere. All of us know about web security breeches. However, this is new. And the problem is growing. Will I buy a Pre? Yes. However, sensitive stuff will not be there. Anyone that missed the program, I suggest to get a copy of it. I'm not saying that you should not get the Pre. Just be careful.

    the duck
    I don't understand this line: " On my 755, all the sensitive info. is kept on my computer."

    If you're saying that data is backed-up on the computer, that's great, but it offers zero protection from that information being hijacked in the ways that concern you. As you say, it's still on your phone.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    But I think it is true that storing your data in the cloud is inherently less safe than on a local PC. At least if you've taken reasonable precautions on the PC, including strong AV protection, and a good firewall.
    That's kind of like saying that you feel your money is safer in a reasonably strong safe in your house rather than a bank vault with security guards, etc. Yes, some banks are robbed, but that doesn't make banks less safe than homes. More homes are robbed than banks.

    The same is true for high-quality online data storage services and vendors. They have professional security staff and 24/7 protection as well as rigorous backup. If it's a high-quality vendor, then your data is actually probably more safe with them.

    The problem is that we hear about high-profile data loss and assume that everything online is insecure.

    Now, having said all that, your money and data may actually be more safe at home ... I'm just saying that it may not necessarily be an accurate assumption.
    Sprint Treo 755p
  13. #13  
    Regarding smartphones in general, security has always been an issue. One is far more likely to misplace a phone than a laptop. Thus, ensuring that you encrypt sensitive data on the device has always been wise...even if the manufacturers don't help much in that regard. For the PalmOS, we had many third-party solutions. Marking a record as "private" using Palm's conventions, however, is not one of them. I suspect that most smartphones are still lagging behind in this area..and I doubt that the Pre is any better or worse in this respect.

    Regarding the Pre and WebOS in general, the data may be in the cloud, but it is also cached locally on the device...so I don't think that the actual device is any more or less secure than others in that respect...although I suspect the Linux and semi-open nature of Android could potentially yield an OS-based (vs application-based) encryption solution sooner than most.

    Regarding the security of your desktop vs data in the cloud, I think the argument is specious. WebOS is primarily designed to hook into data that you *already* have in the cloud...not force you to move your data there...so if the data is vulnerable there now, then the Pre doesn't make anything better or worse. One could also argue that WebOS slightly mitigates security risks since you can rely on the data that you already have in the cloud rather than needing to replicate it elsewhere (e.g., on a desktop). In general, security risk increases as you denormalize your data and place copies in multiple locations.

    Is the cloud inherently insecure? IMHO, no...at least no more so than any other connected device...but I will grant that their firewalls have to support inbound connections to provide services while your home firewall does not need to be configured in that manner (unless you are running a web/game/chat server). That said, I develop web-based systems...and major systems like Facebook, Google, etc. have entire teams dedicated to Ops, Security, Monitoring, etc. Can they be hacked? Sure. Are those major sites hacked frequently? No....and millions of desktop PCs are. Tens of millions. A critical difference between the two is that when one of these major web-based systems is hacked, the hack is usually detected fairly quickly and shut down. PCs, on the other hand, live in botnets for years.

    Me, I don't use facebook...but I do use many other web-based sites for data. Am I concerned about security? No, because I don't keep sensitive data there. Frankly, I am less concerned about it being hacked than the vulnerability of the data to the folks who own that system. Whether it is them using/mining it for their own purposes or a rogue sys admin, my sensitive data will not be found on their servers.

    When I get a Pre, I will most likely use cloud data services, but I will also be looking for third-party products that support robust data encryption on the device and remote wipe and lock functions. I have those now on my Treo and suspect that some vendor will answer that need for WebOS...at least I hope.

    $0.02
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    As pointed out in that program, there are viruses that enable the hacker to watch every move or type that you make. They can see everything.Yes, the latter problem that you brought up is a major headache. But this can screw up your credit,life......
    The news stories really brush over the fact that Conficker only infects Windows machines that don't keep up to date with Windows Update (a patch was released last year before this worm became widespread). I didn't watch the program, so not sure if they mentioned that.

    Granted, even though there are several "zero day" threats that patches won't help with, but keeping your system up to date is the best defense against malware threats like this. I'm sure the same applies with newer mobile OS releases like Android and Web OS if they offer an update mechanism.
    -Tony
  15. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #15  
    Well said scuba_steve
  16. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #16  
    According to the program, they already had a robust data encryption, the best firewall and updates every hour. The Symantec spokesperson said that updates are every hour to keep up(unless I heard wrong). Even Symantec expresses concern(understand possible marketing issues). Yes this is a PC problem. But think about downloading one jpg photo or file, then add this as an attachment on email or adding it to google somehow.Then you go to the cloud on the phone. Yes the Conficker is limited on the PC. But as we change our habits, then the hackers will change. Yes get this beautiful new phone called the "Pre".But don't assume anything.

Posting Permissions