Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I have a setup for email that would be a good preparation for email on the Pre.

I recommend that you buy a personal domain name. When your email accounts move around, you can keep the same email address and simply redirect it to wherever you go.

I have been testing different email setups for my Treo. I was interested in Gmail and Mobile Me. It turns out that Blazer works well with Gmail but Mobile Me does not. I wound up sending 3 copies of email from my personal domain name email. One goes to my local cable company email, one to Gmail, and one to Mobile Me. I was testing to see what worked best.

This sort of setup is also great for preparing for the Pre. Now I can use Gmail on the Pre and see my received emails several months back.

If I had been using Gmail IMAP, I'd also have sent emails available on the Pre.

PS: You don't need a regular email on your personal domain - all you need to do is use email forwarding to Gmail or other email accounts.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    IMAP is the only way to go for email on a phone....

But instead of Gmail and their faulty way of implementing imap, I'd suggest AOL with your domain.... AOL simply rocks... imap is solid and was launched before gmail even thought about imap... Gmail is terrible anyway... although, I'm glad gmail gave us "gb" email accounts....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I just want to know for sure if the Gmail intergration will work with Google Apps email addresses (Google Apps). For those that don't know this is using Google as your domains mail server. So you end up with a gmail account that is ___@yourdomain.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    I just want to know for sure if the Gmail intergration will work with Google Apps email addresses (Google Apps). For those that don't know this is using Google as your domains mail server. So you end up with a gmail account that is ___@yourdomain.com
    I have it working on one of my domains... I've not logged into that domain in months... maybe longer. The last time I tested it was when google announced they had "fixed" imap... it still loads strangely and I don't like it... I still had time out issues that I never had with any of my other imap accounts.

But the last time I tested, google apps seemed to work fine. There were little things missing, if I remember, but the main stuff is there and working fine. It is easy to setup with a domain... try it out... if you don't like it, go someplace else.

If you live in a Microsoft world, then hotmail/live would be a great choice.... if you wanted people to signup for their own accounts without interaction from you, that is almost your only choice (only one of the others launched this and I don't know about it...).

For me, aol has the best imap... and no ads.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    All I want is to set my Pre up with contact and calendar syncing from google using my ___@yourdomain.com google app account. I'd rather this than having to use a @gmail.com address and I think it should be possible
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    IMAP is the only way to go for email on a phone....

But instead of Gmail and their faulty way of implementing imap, I'd suggest AOL with your domain.... AOL simply rocks... imap is solid and was launched before gmail even thought about imap... Gmail is terrible anyway... although, I'm glad gmail gave us "gb" email accounts....
    Please describe the details of Google's "faulty" implementation of IMAP.

Gmail terrible? A free mailbox with over 7gb of storage, fast AJAX interface, IMAP IDLE (push email), POP connectors, excellent search capabilities, message filtering, unobtrusive ads, calendar/tasks/IM/document/RSS integration, great spam filtering, centralized contact manager, AND the fact that it will integrate with the Pre natively seems pretty not terrible to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I have a setup for email that would be a good preparation for email on the Pre.

I recommend that you buy a personal domain name. When your email accounts move around, you can keep the same email address and simply redirect it to wherever you go.
    So over my head.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    not that I have a preference one way or the other for email, but the idea that an email I've had for ages may not work well with some state of the art revolutionary phone so I should switch to something else seems like a pain in the ****. The idea that people suggest doing X, Y or Z so you can get email right on your phone is a pain in the ****. I would think by now with countless phones that get email and BB doing it pretty damn well for a few years now, that I shouldn't have to make any changes to my current email setup to have it work right out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Please describe the details of Google's "faulty" implementation of IMAP.

Gmail terrible? A free mailbox with over 7gb of storage, fast AJAX interface, IMAP IDLE (push email), POP connectors, excellent search capabilities, message filtering, unobtrusive ads, calendar/tasks/IM/document/RSS integration, great spam filtering, centralized contact manager, AND the fact that it will integrate with the Pre natively seems pretty not terrible to me.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    not that I have a preference one way or the other for email, but the idea that an email I've had for ages may not work well with some state of the art revolutionary phone so I should switch to something else seems like a pain in the ****. The idea that people suggest doing X, Y or Z so you can get email right on your phone is a pain in the ****. I would think by now with countless phones that get email and BB doing it pretty damn well for a few years now, that I shouldn't have to make any changes to my current email setup to have it work right out of the box.
    Nobody said your current email won't work well. If you can access your current email on a mobile, I'm betting you will get the same or better experience on the Pre. The advantage to Gmail is that the Pre has taken advantage of its open API's to its contacts and calendaring systems. If other email providers had the same type of open connectivity, Palm may have done the same with them as well.

So in all, you're right you shouldn't have to make any changes to your current email for it to work out of the box. If you want the best email experience out of your Pre, you'll need to switch to a provider that supports the newest technology (ex. Exchange Activesync, IMAP Idle, etc).