View Poll Results: Do you trust your data in the cloud?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 17.46%
  • Sometimes, depending on the company hosting a service

15 23.81%
  • Sometimes, I just try to keep a minimal amount of personal info or non-critical info online.

24 38.10%
  • Not at all

13 20.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FOXNews.com - Google Admits Weekend Privacy Breach - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

I mentioned this in some other thread, but I decided it deserved its own thread. This relates heavily to the issue I keep bringing up about potential vulnerabilities in the cloud. I realize this was a very minor issue, but I feel like it can potentially be MUCH worse. I personally don't trust the cloud very much, but I do use it for gmail and facebook as well as few other places where my personal data is stored. I would prefer to have as little personal info as possible online to avoid potential security/privacy problems. As for personal documents being placed on Google Docs, that is DEFINITELY a no go for me. I also prefer to keep my contacts list and calendar offline in Outlook as well. I've been using Picasa online recently, but I'm starting to think thats not the best idea.

As for the poll, I just kinda threw it up there real quick, so if you have some suggestions for other more reasonable answers, then please let me know.
    Last edited by schnoid; 03/10/2009 at 10:10 PM.
    I'm not really into the "cloud" which is one of the reasons the Pre does not appeal to me. I like my stuff on machines I pay for, I don't need some free service's piece of the "cloud".

And many companies in the "cloud" keep your data for some time even after you "delete" it.

Holding onto my own data myself has been working out great for me. I plan to keep it that way.
    Yes I do because anything I save in the cloud isn't critical information.
    I'm curious about how these polls work. How can this thread currently be listed as having 3 views but 7 total votes? Stuffing the ballot box? I just don't understand.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I'm not really into the "cloud" which is one of the reasons the Pre does not appeal to me. I like my stuff on machines I pay for, I don't need some free service's piece of the "cloud".

And many companies in the "cloud" keep your data for some time even after you "delete" it.

Holding onto my own data myself has been working out great for me. I plan to keep it that way.
    Yea, I know how you feel. I really wish I didn't keep any personal information online, but my two main problems are: 1) i'm not about to run my own mail server 24/7 so no matter what my email is going to go through some 3rd party server. 2) Everyone I know uses facebook and keeps in touch through that, so there's plenty of personal information on there also whether I like it or not. Other than those, I'm going to continue trying to keep most of my data in outlook and documents locally on my machine. Most servers will run locally as well and only accessible by me.
    I like how it keeps all my PIM in sync Live between my Device and PC.
    And if I'm outta town and I lose my phone, everything is just waiting in the 'cloud' for me to get my new phone.
    Just call me Berd.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I'm curious about how these polls work. How can this thread currently be listed as having 3 views but 7 total votes? Stuffing the ballot box? I just don't understand.
    I have no idea. I can't even figure out how to edit my poll and/or if thats at all possible. I voted once, so that accounts for one of the extras. Other than that I can't explain it. I'm sure this poll isn't important enough for people to actually try and cheat the system ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I've wondered that also.
    I guess you could ask that here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/treocentral-com/
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Thanks I really appreciate that! It sounded ridiculous before. :-P Are polls only editable by moderators?
    I'm not absolutely sure.
    You might ask that over in your thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...edit-poll.html

I'm going to delete all this 'how to edit poll' conversation you and I just had here.
    Just call me Berd.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm not absolutely sure.
    You might ask that over in your thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...edit-poll.html

I'm going to delete all this 'how to edit poll' conversation you and I just had here.
    fair enough
    fair enough
    I just happened to be here and saw your 'edit poll' question.
    Just call me Berd.
    Here's one of my favorite documentaries: CNBC "Big Brother, Big Business" Recorded Nov 1, 2006
  13.    #13  
    Here's one of my favorite documentaries: CNBC "Big Brother, Big Business" Recorded Nov 1, 2006
    looks really interesting. I'll have to sit down and watch it one of these days when I have some time.
    I hear its like flying..safest way to travel and all but when accidents do happen, its often not good.

If you're hooked up to the net, you're vulnerable. If you got employees, you're vulnerable. If you feel your tech geek (or yourself) can provide better security than some of the online sites, then its up to you...but that's what it comes down to... having control.
    Which do you trust more, the cloud or the government?

I know how I would answer.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Which do you trust more, the cloud or the government?

I know how I would answer.
    Neither.

Corporations own the cloud and have government in their hip pocket. Which is why government keeps giving corporations my money.

I don't trust either at all. They both are working in concert with each other.
  17.    #17  
    Neither.

Corporations own the cloud and have government in their hip pocket. Which is why government keeps giving corporations my money.

I don't trust either at all. They both are working in concert with each other.
    +1! And I know for a fact that I can secure my data better than any service in the cloud.
    +1! And I know for a fact that I can secure my data better than any service in the cloud.
    A single home user with data is far less of an attractive target when compared with a larger service holding data for masses of people.

Most home users that have their data compromised typically made some of the most basic mistakes when it comes to cyber security. While larger corporations have teams of paid security employees and are still compromised by the most savvy of hackers with bad intentions.

And THEN there's the stuff the companies just compromise on their own!!!
    This is why I'm happy with my new Centro. It buys me time. I am NOT warm to the idea of synching off site. I'm an accountant, and carry a lot of client data. I may start carrying their tax returns in pdf form again...I'm supposed to entrust that to a company? That's going to make Outlook appealing....and that's a really sad thought.
  20.    #20  
    A single home user with data is far less of an attractive target when compared with a larger service holding data for masses of people.

Most home users that have their data compromised typically made some of the most basic mistakes when it comes to cyber security. While larger corporations have teams of paid security employees and are still compromised by the most savvy of hackers with bad intentions.

And THEN there's the stuff the companies just compromise on their own!!!
    yea, honestly I feel like the insiders are the biggest threat. Whether it's malicious or just plain stupidity.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast