Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why I'm still not convinced cloud syncing should be your only option.

Google stumbles again, accidentally shares docs

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/07...ut-permission/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't personally use Google Docs myself, it's far too feature limited for my needs. But I can understand it happening in Documents sort of, since there's a built-in feature for sharing in Google Docs.

There's no possible way something like this instance could happen in Mail and Contacts though, simply because there's no capability for sharing those.

Now, being hacked into or that sort of thing is a different story, but it doesn't seem possible for this specific thing to happen on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="navy"]Why I'm still not convinced cloud syncing should be your only option.
    I strongly second that.

This piles on even greater evidence fueling speculation that somebody out there is going to develop a 3rd party app to allow Pre users to somehow sync with their desktops. Between those of us who have already made a big fuss and those who's eyebrows were just now raised by these events, there's going to be a large market for such an app.
    [COLOR="navy"]Why I'm still not convinced cloud syncing should be your only option.
    The "cloud" is getting cloudy.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Nothing done electronically will ever be 100% secure. If you cannot handle this fact then I advise you to revert to pen and paper. You will still encounter problems with those. Welcome to life.

Can we stop these 'panic' and 'bashing' threads please? The Cloud is the future and there are potential issues with anything we do. We need to look past those and embrace it. It is time to end the negative thread cycle.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  6.    #6  
    So I shouldn't be posting info I found, even though it may be useful to consider? Even though others can clearly make up their minds by themselves since they are presumably adults? OK got it, Dad.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Are you honestly trying to make the claim that this is the first time the subject has been discussed here?
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    So I shouldn't be posting info I found, even though it may be useful to consider? Even though others can clearly make up their minds by themselves since they are presumably adults? OK got it, Dad.
    Thanks Diva
  9.    #9  
    So we can't discuss anything that's been mentioned before? Although the Google incident actually happened quite recently.

I'm just saying that this is another reason why I don't think Cloud syncing ALONE is a good idea yet. This isn't the only incident of Cloud files being compromised.

P.S. This person thinks you may end up signing your privacy rights away with Cloud syncing, because you're putting things on a 3rd party server and subject to the vendor's control and discretion. I don't know about that one. I'd think there'd be a BIG consumer uproar if vendors claim they may have to turn over your data, are going to use it to send you ads, etc.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/482...loud_Computing
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/08/2009 at 12:07 AM.

Diva - This was a great thread to start. Thank you for sharing. Many things to consider now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Nothing done electronically will ever be 100% secure. If you cannot handle this fact then I advise you to revert to pen and paper. You will still encounter problems with those. Welcome to life.

Can we stop these 'panic' and 'bashing' threads please? The Cloud is the future and there are potential issues with anything we do. We need to look past those and embrace it. It is time to end the negative thread cycle.
    the day you post lamenting how the cloud corrupted or "shared" your invaluable data, data you had absolutely entrusted blindly to the omniscient cloud, will be a day of Schadenfreude to be relished ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    It's the future.
    Soon, most everyone will be walking around with their head in a 'cloud'
    Just call me Berd.
    Alternatively you could research all of the options and make the decision on an approach which is most suitable for your individual circumstances. (ie read about vulnerabilities.) You seem to be advocating a bit of a lemming mentality.
    Pedestrian traffic is not 100% secure, but I choose not to j-walk on an interstate highway. Cloud synching may be suitable for many, but I doubt that I would ever use a server that I don't control as a way to store my sensitive data.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    P.S. This person thinks you may end up signing your privacy rights away with Cloud syncing, because you're putting things on a 3rd party server and subject to the vendor's control and discretion.
    Reminds me of the whole Facebook ToS issue from a couple of weeks ago. I don't use Facebook, but I heard that users were outraged because Facebook said they own all info uploaded on their servers & can do whatever they want with it. The ToS was changed after user backlash.
    Actually, this requires a risk assessment by any potential user. If the benefit of using the cloud outweighs the risk of having the cloud breached, then using the cloud is probably worth it. Using the Google cloud for anything outside of purely social purposes is probably not a good idea as it been proven to be broken from a security viewpoint. No company worth its stock would rely on a cloud like Google's for business purposes. That's why corporations have their own Exchange servers and Blackberry Enterprise servers - they are mitigating the risk of using a cloud as best they know how at the present. And guess what? That's still too risky for other businesses. This seeming reliance on the cloud will have an unknown impact (to date) on the Pre's marketability.

Pointing out potential weaknesses in a system is hardly a case of "panic" or "bashing." Do you feel disagreement with your (unsupported, unsubstantiated) beliefs about the cloud constitute bashing somehow?
    I don't put info on my cellphone that really gives me much of a second thought if its compromised.

Again, i think we're looking at a minority % that would have legit concerns in this regard. But then again, these type of people won't be hopping on the Pre at first to store sensitive data and the Pre isn't aimed at them.

Joe Blow down the street is finally getting around to enabling WEP or whatever on his wireless router (many still don't) much less worrying about firewalls or security. The cloud will probably be much more secure vs how secure many have their personal PC's.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Again, i think we're looking at a minority % that would have legit concerns in this regard. But then again, these type of people won't be hopping on the Pre at first to store sensitive data and the Pre isn't aimed at them.

Joe Blow down the street is finally getting around to enabling WEP or whatever on his wireless router (many still don't) much less worrying about firewalls or security. The cloud will probably be much more secure vs how secure many have their personal PC's.
    I think you're referring to private individuals. Without a dedicated, secure cloud server, the business community will stay away in droves. The business community, being those folks with the big block purchases and major accounts - the bulk of the Blackberry community and a large part of the Treo community (I would have said majority of the Treo community too, but not since Treo's have fallen out of favor with businesses compared to other alternatives).
    Last edited by Kupe; 03/08/2009 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It's the future.
    Soon, most everyone will be walking around with their head in a 'cloud'
    quite agreed.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Reminds me of the whole Facebook ToS issue from a couple of weeks ago. I don't use Facebook, but I heard that users were outraged because Facebook said they own all info uploaded on their servers & can do whatever they want with it. The ToS was changed after user backlash.
    One good reason not to use Facebook. There was some other similar crap last year, I think I remember reading. Something about them posting your gift list to your friends without your permission, also them targeting you with ads based on your postings. Another, the CEO is shady and has allegations following him. It's alleged he stole the idea from friends, he claimed it as his and his alone when it was really a collaboration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast