Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One thing I haven't liked about the Pre announcement(s) from the beginning - the absence of Hotsync. I like having an offline, pc (/local) copy of my phone's files, applications, and contacts. I like it a lot.

But I'm sick of the hassle.

Maybe my problem has more to do with Bluetooth or Bluetooth on the devices I use, but BT Hotsyncing and DUNing require too much coaxing and effort. I feel like I'm begging my pc's to do what I want them to do... even if I've already gotten them to do it before.

The inconsistency is killing me.

The TreoCast/PalmCast hosts' opinions on Hotsyncing seem to be very similar (although I've never heard them express these exact reasons for disliking Hotsync). Not having to think about when or whether my phone's content was last synced is sounding better and better. Not having to beg my devices to sync wirelessly is starting to sound sweeter and sweeter. Not having to remember to carry a Hotsync cable so that I can quickly and easily Hotsync or use my phone as a modem sounds like heaven.

Of course, I still don't know what DUN/tethering will be like on the Pre, but I'm buying into the concept more every day - especially after spending 30 minutes to an hour, recently, trying to Hotsync via Bluetooth. I'm sooooo ready for an alternative. I may not jump to the Pre immediately (I want Pre replacements/equivalents for more of my 755p apps/functionality, first) I AM starting to sip on the Kool-Aid.

I'm just about ready for a big swig.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    You can make the move to the cloud gradually and see how it feels. Start by syncing with an exchange server. Versamail works great with exchange, and takes away your need to sync your pim data.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You can make the move to the cloud gradually and see how it feels. Start by syncing with an exchange server. Versamail works great with exchange, and takes away your need to sync your pim data.
    Not sure I was aware that Exchange stores PIM data (all, as opposed to just e-mail addresses). I shy away from paid (-in-perpetuity) services (although I hear this is a lower-cost solution, so this makes me pucker up a bit.

Freebie options would be my preference, but if none are as good as Exchange* maybe that's the way to go.

As you say, though, I'll take my walk into the cloud slowly - one step at a time.

* - I hear that Google sometimes screws up contacts/contact categories
    On the 755p, EAS will sync email, calendar, and contacts (not notes or tasks). But I agree with Alli, this is a good first step into the cloud, and has made me really interested in getting more of the same in the Pre. You might also look into GooSync.
    Exchange server is not "the cloud". The data sits on your own corporate exchange server (unless you use a hosted service). All the happens is the data updates automatically over either the network or wifi.

The cloud is where your data is held by a third party - google, mobileme etc.
    Whether it is a corporate or a hosted exchange server (& there really is no difference unless you are the host), if the data resides somewhere other than your physical computer, it is the cloud. Doesn't matter if its Google's server, Cloudsync's server, My Phone's server, or anyone else.

The real difference between Exchange and the others - at least for now - is that only Exchange servers can sync with Outlook, and thus give you a local copy of your data.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    Exchange server is not "the cloud". The data sits on your own corporate exchange server (unless you use a hosted service). All the happens is the data updates automatically over either the network or wifi.

The cloud is where your data is held by a third party - google, mobileme etc.
    That is a distinction without a difference. The mechanics of the sync are the same regardless of who owns the server. Sync'ing with the cloud means that the sync is happening over the internet with a server, as opposed to sync'ing with your PC over BT or USB. It doesn't matter who owns the server.

In fact, there has been discussion in this forum about a paid Exchange service that is available.

So sync'ing with an Exchange server is the cloud--you just might trust it more if the server is owned by your company.
    I've been interested in this for quite a while too.
    At one point I considered using syncing server software hosted on my home PC

Funambol and eMoze were at the top of my list.

as for the cloud debate, I'd think that it would encompass anything over the internet (regardless of where it's physically located), so that would include your home computer/server.

Of course, whilst that might relieve some people of their privacy concerns, it doesn't provide the best Disaster Recovery solution, so maybe a home server would be a tethered or synthetic cloud ???

P.S. Really looking forwards to the Pre release in the UK
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I used mail2web.com for my exchange never had a problem with them I have the free mail2web live acct.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    I used mail2web.com for my exchange never had a problem with them I have the free mail2web live acct.
    Thanks for the tip. Didn't realize they offered a free solution. Sending / Receiving email works great with ChatterEmail and the EX plugin on my 700P.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I think part of the issue is that if you want to use a local PIM the only option for cloud syncing is one that costs money. Tough to swallow when you've synced for free since the inception of palm. And the invention of card slots made it easy to have everything backed up when you weren't at your computer

I definitely like the peace of mind aspect of always updating, but it just seems forced and not as synergistic as they'd like you to believe. Palm was a turnkey solution in the past, now we have to look to third parties, online companies and such to do it all. And just a couple hours ago I was sitting in a doc's office twiddling my thumbs waiting to talk to him. Had no signal so I couldn't use my phone or my netbook to check email, update things or even play sudoku. I was able to hop on PD and input some of the business cards I had, but due to BT syncing not working I have to wait to get home to sync with the cable. BT does tend to be a bit unreliable for some reason. I would've had to update on my phone though if it were the Pre.

I was looking at yahoo's PIM, and it seemed pretty inline with Palm's.
    -Separate fields for First, Middle and Last Name
    -Primary and two alternate emails alone with messenger names.
    -Separate work and home addresses
    -Six phone number entries. Home, Work, Mobile, Fax, Pager & Other.
    -Notes section along with 4 custom fields.

But even that isn't as simple as Palm Desktop because changing things and clicking on things opens a webpage which takes time which is annoying. I'd imagine that's the same with any cloud based PIM. People might say "what's a few seconds", but they add up over time and are an annoyance when you didn't have to deal with them before. PD did spoil for quick and simple.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    From their site: "mail2web.com has an interface optimized specifically for checking your email directly through any PDA device that supports HTML."

That's not Treo 755p's, from what I understand. What device were you using?
    I'm not able to check this with the free mail2web account, but I would guess it's Outlook Mobile Access, which is text based html. I have accessed my companies Exchange server this way via Blazer.
    But if you have ChatterEmail, using the EX plugin, you can access your mail2web account that way with the free mail2web account.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Guys...if you're using web2mail, you can use Versamail for your mail as well as your contacts and calendar and have it pushed right to your device. No reason to try to read webmail or buy Chatter.
  15.    #15  
    Guys...if you're using web2mail, you can use Versamail for your mail as well as your contacts and calendar and have it pushed right to your device. No reason to try to read webmail or buy Chatter.
    Same concern: "mail2web.com has an interface optimized specifically for checking your email directly through any PDA device that supports HTML."

My 755p e-mail app does not support HTML.

Also, assuming web2mail is trustworthy, I thought I read that the user needs a server of his/her own. If so, once again, I'd be out of luck.
    I have never used Versamail but may have to try it with mail2web just to see this syncing of contacts and calendar in action.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I have a mail2web account, but I don't use it because it doesn't sync with desktop Outlook.
    If you want something that syncs with your desktop, you wind up having to pay.

I got a 4smartphone.com account so that I could use my custom domain address, and now I get my pim data and email pushed to both my Treo 800w and my Centro.

(I get very little html email though, so that whole point is a nonissue for me.)
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    If you want something that syncs with your desktop, you wind up having to pay.

I got a 4smartphone.com account so that I could use my custom domain address, and now I get my pim data and email pushed to both my Treo 800w and my Centro.

(I get very little html email though, so that whole point is a nonissue for me.)
    Yeah, I decided to try Sherweb for a few months w/ my 800w. I don't think I'll be able to live without it now, although $9/month is pretty steep. I wish they threw in some web hosting or something to make it more worth the money.
    Yea, it's like once you start using hosted Exchange, nothing else comes close. But they are all in the $10/mo range. I wish I knew why they all kept it so high.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast