Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Whether it is a corporate or a hosted exchange server (& there really is no difference unless you are the host), if the data resides somewhere other than your physical computer, it is the cloud. Doesn't matter if its Google's server, Cloudsync's server, My Phone's server, or anyone else.

The real difference between Exchange and the others - at least for now - is that only Exchange servers can sync with Outlook, and thus give you a local copy of your data.
    I beg to differ. If the data is held on a computer that I own then it is not in the cloud. It is my data, held on my server. The cloud involves a third party holding your data remotely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That is a distinction without a difference. The mechanics of the sync are the same regardless of who owns the server. Sync'ing with the cloud means that the sync is happening over the internet with a server, as opposed to sync'ing with your PC over BT or USB. It doesn't matter who owns the server.

In fact, there has been discussion in this forum about a paid Exchange service that is available.

So sync'ing with an Exchange server is the cloud--you just might trust it more if the server is owned by your company.
    I think there is a difference. The sync mechanics are the same. I agree. But the cloud arguement is about security of data being held by third parties and therefore being more vulnerable.

OTA syncing also introduces the potential security risk but it is not the same issue as having your data in the cloud.
    I bought gSyncit to sync Outlook on the Desktop with Google Calendar and Contacts.
    Now my devices sync to each other, to Outlook and to Google like this:

I guess the Pre could fit in somewhere
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Yea, it's like once you start using hosted Exchange, nothing else comes close. But they are all in the $10/mo range. I wish I knew why they all kept it so high.
    Maybe Microsoft isn't cutting them any slack on licensing of the OS and App?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Wouldn't surprise me at all since almost all of them will provide you with a copy of Outlook with your subscription.

I'm still hoping/praying that someone comes up with a desktop alternative.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I've been using mail2web (and also mail2pda & mail2wap) for, oh, 6 years or more now and never had any issues or complaints with them. Highly recommended!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Wouldn't surprise me at all since almost all of them will provide you with a copy of Outlook with your subscription.
    Makes sense if they're already paying for the CAL. Outlook is included in that.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Since after reading this thread I see you guys are pretty clued in on this. Can anyone recommend where I can read more to understand what the best way to set up a hosted exchange so I can work with my 755p soon (I hope) to be pre.

FYI I have an office of 7 but I would am the only one who really needs this.

thanks.
    Larry
    If you are the only one needing it, it might be cheaper for you to use a hosted exchange server. Otherwise, you might want to just purchase Exchange Server from MS.
    Kind of pricey, don't you think?

Exchange Server 2007 Standard Edition: $699 US

Enables creation of up to 5 storage groups, with a maximum of 5 databases per Mailbox server role.
    I'm still of the opinion that a hosted exchange server is just one more potential vulnerability. Your data is flying through enough channels as it is, why chance it? I'm especially more skeptical about placing my data on any servers after hearing about the recent Google docs security breach.
    So no Pre plans, schnoid?
    So no Pre plans, schnoid?
    hah, it's definitely not gonna change my Pre plans... I'm obsessed and I know it ;-) I am however gonna try to keep as little info in the cloud as possible. If I have to setup my own Exchange server, then that'll have to do!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12