Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I'm not even clear on the pre's e-mail push functions. I think that if you has exchange or EAS you will get push e-mail, but can you get push gmail?
    Yes you can get push Gmail via IMAP IDLE. Most email clients do IMAP (which by itself isn't push). So as long as the Pre email client supports IDLE, you'll be able to get push Gmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I don't quite get the urgency about push email in general. I just set my device/client/whatever to poll the server every 10 minutes, and get mail in a timely manner. If I'm expecting a specific urgent email and can't wait the 5 minutes or so to the next pull, I manually poll the server.

Are other people's emails so urgent that a few minutes latency on routine stuff is a hardship?
    I believe generally, if you have no need for push, then it isn't something for you. I do know that there are others such as myself that live and die by the immediate emails. Its not that a few minutes will kill me, but if you add up all the emails a power user gets, sometimes ranging to a few hundred, and multiply that by just 5 or 10 minutes over months or years, thats countless hours gone by. but if you only send or receive a few emails a day, yes, its not the most urgent thing in the world. My point is, it depends on your usage. Whats one man's trash is another's treasure so the saying goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I don't quite get the urgency about push email in general. I just set my device/client/whatever to poll the server every 10 minutes, and get mail in a timely manner. If I'm expecting a specific urgent email and can't wait the 5 minutes or so to the next pull, I manually poll the server.

Are other people's emails so urgent that a few minutes latency on routine stuff is a hardship?
    At least with respect to EAS, battery life is much better when push is enabled than when your phone is polling every 10 minutes (unless you are receiving a huge number of emails). Not sure whether IDLE provides the same battery life benefits.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12