Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok...you know how the Pre pulls your friends contact info from Facebook, gmail, etc?

Lets say I have 200 Facebook friends and only 50 of those friends are in my address book currently on my phone. Will this syncing bring all of those 150 remaining contacts to my phone? I guess what I'm trying to avoid is having people in my contacts on my phone that I don't talk to on a regular basis and are not currently on my phone list.

So to sum up, does the Pre pull ALL of your contacts, or just the one's you have entered manually on your phone and then updates just those each day?

Hope that makes sense...
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm sure, at the very least, you can choose to not have facebook contacts displayed. I don't know if you could choose to have individuals or groups displayed or not. Definitely a good question. Hopefully it's an obvious enough problem that Palm has some kind of method to addressing this.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  3.    #3  
    What I would think is that if you manually add a contact to your phonebook, it would look for that name in the other places like gmail and facebook to gather new/update existing information....that makes sense, right?
  4.    #4  
    Another sync question I thought of on top of my initial question....Let's say I have a contact in my phone of Joe Smith, and that same friend is listed on Facebook as Joseph Smith...how will it know that that's the contact I want to sync with?
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Another sync question I thought of on top of my initial question....Let's say I have a contact in my phone of Joe Smith, and that same friend is listed on Facebook as Joseph Smith...how will it know that that's the contact I want to sync with?
    It matches contact info. It says "Hmmm... this Facebook entry has the same Gmail address/cell phone number/IM as this other entry... looks like they're the same person." Some of the vids have pointed this out.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I think you manually add a contact and you can add sources if you choose. That's what the UI says in the videos I have seen.

UPDATE: It says, "link more profiles". Here it is:

7.    #7  
    So basically, if I transferred 200 contacts from my old phone to the Pre, it should automatically look at my facebook and gmail to see if there are any matches? And if it doesn't find a match but there is in fact one out there, I should be able to link it manually?
    No, it pulls all contacts from a source. Then it matches them up with other sources, if they apply.

To answer your original question, it will pull ALL contacts from Facebook, not just the ones you manually enter on the device.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    To answer your original question, it will pull ALL contacts from Facebook, not just the ones you manually enter on the device.
    If that's the case and it pulls every contact from facebook and adds them as new entries in my phone if they aren't in there already, they should really think of changing that because not everyone talks to every one of their facebook contacts. That goes for gmail contacts as well... That's just me though.

I have 500+ facebook contacts and just wouldn't expect to have every single one added to my phone book.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Judging from the picture I posted above, I really don't think you HAVE to automatically add all of your facebook contacts. I think you can add facebook as a source to selected contacts if you so choose.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks Rhody, I hope I can do it manually or just have it pull from the contacts that are already in my phone. Like I said, I don't need 500 people in my phone with many that I don't talk to hardly.
    I'd just speculate, and isn't that what we're mostly doing anyway, that this won't be 100% automatic, but will require you to say, yes, match up those, no, don't match up those. Otherwise, the world will reduce to one Tom Smith, one Bill Miller, oh, and one Chang. Wang. Whatever.
    this is a great topic ... My hope is that I can have it download all of my contacts from windows live (outlook, cause I don't have an exchange server) and then get more info on them from facebook. I really don't feel like having all of those people from high school that I don't want to call cluttering up my phone book. If I really wanted to get their info I could just go to facebook from the browser.
    My other option, if I can't set the pre to only get info for the people I enter is to start removing friends from my facebook ... It would be very cut throat.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    No, it pulls all contacts from a source. Then it matches them up with other sources, if they apply.

That's the way I understand it will work as well. You wont have contacts saved on your phone like a traditional phone, rather it will work like the BlackBerry in that it syncs the contacts from a source, but unlike the BlackBerry it will allow you to sync from other sources and then match up so you have no duplicates.

This is one of the most exciting features of the Pre for me in that with my BlackBerry I'm limited to one sync source for Contacts/Calendar/etc, where the Pre is providing multiple sources and no duplicates. Can this be too good to be true?
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    That's the way I understand it will work as well. You wont have contacts saved on your phone like a traditional phone, rather it will work like the BlackBerry in that it syncs the contacts from a source, but unlike the BlackBerry it will allow you to sync from other sources and then match up so you have no duplicates.

This is one of the most exciting features of the Pre for me in that with my BlackBerry I'm limited to one sync source for Contacts/Calendar/etc, where the Pre is providing multiple sources and no duplicates. Can this be too good to be true?
    I disagree. I think you will be able to manually enter contacts. Look at the button in the bottom left corner of the screen:

I think you will manually add a contact, and then add as many sources of information as you see fit, based on the previous picture I posted.

I honestly don't know where you are getting all this forced-automatic-addition-of-all-contacts business. Was this mentioned in an article?
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    .... You wont have contacts saved on your phone like a traditional phone, rather ....
    I, of course, have no idea how this feature and many others will actually work on the Pre, but I am very curious. If you are correct that my contacts will not be stored on the phone but will be displayed from the "cloud" when I look for them, then I have serious concerns. This seems to mean I would need to have access to the network in order to view info that I had already entered on my phone. I don't think network availability is adequately universal for me to accept that limitation. Sometimes I want to get a contact's info even if I can't place a call to them right then. Does anyone know whether this issue I am speculating on is real?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    You can create different "friend lists" in Facebook. I have this setup for Business, Family, Acquaintances, Friends, etc. I would like to think that WebOs will give me the option of which "friend lists" I want to sync.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I disagree. I think you will be able to manually enter contacts. Look at the button in the bottom left corner of the screen:

I think you will manually add a contact, and then add as many sources of information as you see fit, based on the previous picture I posted.

I honestly don't know where you are getting all this forced-automatic-addition-of-all-contacts business. Was this mentioned in an article?
    I don't think I made myself clear. I expect that you will be able to add contacts manually, but you will also have the option to sync from multiple sources and the Pre will combine contacts with the same details.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I, of course, have no idea how this feature and many others will actually work on the Pre, but I am very curious. If you are correct that my contacts will not be stored on the phone but will be displayed from the "cloud" when I look for them, then I have serious concerns. This seems to mean I would need to have access to the network in order to view info that I had already entered on my phone. I don't think network availability is adequately universal for me to accept that limitation. Sometimes I want to get a contact's info even if I can't place a call to them right then. Does anyone know whether this issue I am speculating on is real?
    Let's run through this once again.

Your phone *will* hold a local copy of your contacts. If you add a contact on your phone, it will then sync that with whichever sync service you are using, have paid for. If you change a contact on your data source (be it exchange, gmail whatever), that change will be reflected on the phone.

Your phone will not go blank as soon as the signal drops out, I don't understand why people can't grasp this.
    I don't understand why people are having a hard time grasping it either. Probably because most people are new to "cloud" computing coupled with the name of webOS, leading people to think they must always be tethered to the web for functionality.

Maybe a real-world example will help. Picture real clouds (internet) with real rain (data) in them. When it rains on me (syncs data), then I'm still wet (have my data), even when I go inside (lose signal).
    Sprint Treo 755p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast