1.    #1  
    After watching all demo videos of the Pre, i have noticed that they all have a PALM calender, PALM email ect. Is it possible that palm will have its own solution for Cloud/Synergy?

Maybe that's why it says the following on Palms Pre site:
    Use of this device requires providing a valid email address, mobile phone number, and related information for account set-up and activation. A data plan is also required. Unlimited usage data plan strongly recommended or additional data charges may apply.
    Last edited by Mahootzki; 02/17/2009 at 12:59 PM.
    You better hope it's not like Mobile Me - Apple is still struggling to get it working right.
    OH GAWD!
    I hope its not like Mobile Me!!!! Talk about a disaster.....
    Live Mesh works pretty good...it is from Microsoft and FREE So hopefully it would work like that.
  5.    #5  
    I was just wondering what all those Palm thingies are.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    If Palm has a cloud service, they should call it Cumulus.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    It's palm's internal exchange server - however many of us think that palm will offer it's own servers or maybe not... now gmail has activesync (well except for email...)
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    "The cloud" is the concept of your data living on the Internet spread across multiple services / data sources. In fact, almost by definition, it's not just an Exchange server being run by Palm.
    I'm sure the carrier marketing folks at palm, are touting cloud services that the pre is capable of reaching as a selling point for it -- meaning it is a new potential revenue stream for the carriers. They have all been trying to make web portals, on line stores to generate money. If the carriers start offering free cloud services, it might lower their churn rates.

I think it would be a mistake for Palm to start offering cloud based services right now, besides an app store.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    "The cloud" is the concept of your data living on the Internet spread across multiple services / data sources. In fact, almost by definition, it's not just an Exchange server being run by Palm.
    which wasn't the question - the question was "what's the PALM email, PALM contacts seen in the videos?"

From interviews with palm people, it seems that it is their internal exchange server - which says nothing about possible palm SAAS or cloud offerings (be they activesync based or ical or whatever).
    Last edited by CGK; 02/19/2009 at 05:43 AM.
    The palm email and Contacts were his synced from palm's corporate exchange server. As far as I know palm doesn't have any plans for a service like mobile me. And to be honest I don't really see the point, why develop a service that does the same thing that the phone is already made to do. syncing with the cloud in this case is more or less syncing with multiple sources on the web (gmail,facebook,exchange servers,google calendars,..etc)
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtauke View Post
    The palm email and Contacts were his synced from palm's corporate exchange server. As far as I know palm doesn't have any plans for a service like mobile me. And to be honest I don't really see the point, why develop a service that does the same thing that the phone is already made to do. syncing with the cloud in this case is more or less syncing with multiple sources on the web (gmail,facebook,exchange servers,google calendars,..etc)
    If you are really asking why, then the answer, in my opinion, is because for now, Google is the only source the Pre can sync to, and given how well Palm did PIM in PalmOS and the Palm Desktop, I bet Palm could do it better than Google.