1.    #1  
    Apparently, Google is now offering Google Sync, which uses Exchange Active Sync (EAS) to sync calendar and contacts. Perhaps it will include email some day too. This might be a good way to sync the Pre with Google services.

Google Sync pushes contacts, calendars to phones | Webware - CNET
    You won't need it. It will be included as a part of the pre calendar and email apps, right? Isn't that part of the cloud they were referring to?

It should be good for all other phones out there though giving them sync to the google apps. I wish they'd come out with a palm version for my 700p.
    Last edited by lugose; 02/09/2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Apparently, Google is now offering Google Sync, which uses Exchange Active Sync (EAS) to sync calendar and contacts. Perhaps it will include email some day too. This might be a good way to sync the Pre with Google services.

Google Sync pushes contacts, calendars to phones | Webware - CNET
    I think its for Win Mobile and iPhone only
    The Pre wont need it:

Connected calendars and contacts

Pre uses the PalmŪ Synergy™ feature to bring your OutlookŪ Google, and FacebookŪ calendars together for one logical view of your day. And if you have the same contacts in different places, Pre can link them together, making it easy to find the information you need.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The Pre wont need it:
    Or maybe this is google getting ready for the Pre...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Or maybe this is google getting ready for the Pre...
    Yep, that's kind of how I saw it, though I suppose there could be another mechanism other than EAS. That's why it made me excited.

If Google has implemented EAS, it should work with any phone that has EAS, including PalmOS and the Pre, though I suppose Windows Mobile and the iPhone are the most famous EAS users.
    Google is getting ready for google OS mobile... just so happens the best way there is with microsoft active sync.... which is the BOMB....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    This sounds like a free Exchange server for Gmail.

That could be a good backup if MobileMe does not synch calendar and contacts on the Pre.

Since Pre is a cloud based phone, we will need a way to keep our desktop contacts and calendars in sync with Pre.

It will not be very usable to have to manually import/export changes from your calendar and contacts when changes occur. Or to have your working calendar and/or address book on one or the other.

Email is easy to sync, but contacts and calendar require a server in the cloud.

I wonder how Google Sync handles the 3 to 1 name fields?

By that I mean Gmail has only one name field in address, when everything else has 3 fields.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I think its for Win Mobile and iPhone only
    It says it uses Exchange Active Sync, which includes Windows Mobile, iPhone, Palm OS, and probably quite a few other platforms. I believe it is the most widely supported mobile method for syncing data to a PDA/Phone in real time.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    It says it uses Exchange Active Sync, which includes Windows Mobile, iPhone, Palm OS, and probably quite a few other platforms. I believe it is the most widely supported mobile method for syncing data to a PDA/Phone in real time.
    Pre has Exchange also.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    That's why I'm looking at yahoo. Seems to resemble the PalmOS fields. Maybe google will change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

I wonder how Google Sync handles the 3 to 1 name fields?

By that I mean Gmail has only one name field in address, when everything else has 3 fields.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.