Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Due out around the end of June is Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

It will have have Microsoft Exchange 2007 built in to Mail, Address Book, and iCal. It will use Exchange Web Services.

For you Exchange experts out there, what does this mean for Pre sync?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    EAS is supported so one would presume that regardless of the platform, it will work on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I have some questions for Exchange experts. Exchange is push.

What mechanism does exchange use to initiate a sync?

Does it have a connection running all the time?

How does that effect battery life?

Thanks in advance.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I have some questions for Exchange experts. Exchange is push.

What mechanism does exchange use to initiate a sync?

Does it have a connection running all the time?

How does that effect battery life?

Thanks in advance.
    My experience is with EAS on a 755p, connecting to an Exchange 2007 server. I think it works quite well.

Mechanism: I have no idea, however, it uses the OWA server for access, so it is likely some form of TCP/IP. Items are pushed to the phone when they change on the server, and pushed to the server when changed on the phone (when set to sync "as items come in"). The server could use some other kind of alert to get the phone to sync--either page or text message. Not sure. I will say that the server knows about my phone. In OWA, if I log on via a browser (IE only of course), there is an options page where I can authorize or deauthorize a mobile device, or wipe the memory. The entry for my phone appears when I enter the EAS account into my phone.

I should also say that I don't think the mechanism is text messages. When I used Sprint Mobile Email, it used text messages for push, and I would sometimes find coded messages left over. Maybe EAS just does a better job of cleaning up after itself, but I suspect it has some other way.

Connection running all the time: It's hard to say. The modem seems to be on all the time, so I don't quite know. If I turn the phone off and then turn it back on, the modem will initiate almost immediately.

Battery life: Excellent! When we switched from a POP3 server to an Exchange server, my battery life improved dramatically. I had my phone set to check the POP3 server every 15 minutes--any more than that and I couldn't make it a whole day. With EAS, I got all my messages instantly (my phone usually gets the message about the same time as Outlook) and my concerns about battery life disappeared.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 02/06/2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Thanks jbg7474
    Tom
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The method used for Active Sync with Exchange is a continuously open connection, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $very$ $similar$ $to$ $IMAP$ $IDLE$, $at$ $least$ $conceptually$. $An$ $open$ $path$ $is$ $kept$ $between$ $the$ $device$ $and$ $the$ $server$, $and$ $whenever$ $one$ $has$ $to$ $make$ $a$ $change$, $it$ $then$ $communicates$ $through$ $that$ $connection$.