Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does anyone know if the Pre's EAS will allow you to turn off contacts/memo sync and just sync email only? is this possible now with any EAS device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    does anyone know if the Pre's EAS will allow you to turn off contacts/memo sync and just sync email only? is this possible now with any EAS device?
    The iPhone is the only one I know for sure you can turn off what you don't want to sync.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I don't know what the Pre will be able to do, but with my 755p POS I could sync only what I wanted. Mail, Calendar, or Contacts with Exchange.

Same with my 800w (Windows Mobile) via Active sync and Exchange. Mail, Calendar, Contacts, or tasks.
    JohnH59 says the iphone could do it.

I know windows mobile could do it (sync just emails and not anything else if you don't want)

I would ASSUME that palm would give you the option. Seeing that it's meant to organize your life I can't imagine them trying to force feed you contacts and tasks if you don't want them.

I'll let you know when I get my pre, I'm expecting it any year now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    I know windows mobile could do it (sync just emails and not anything else if you don't want)
    I can confirm that it does let you choose.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Windows Mobile and the iPhone both let you choose what PIM information to sync via EAS. This is a killer feature for me, as I get my work Email via EAS, but my calendar, contacts, and tasks from my personal Outlook on my home PC. I am interested in how this will work on the Pre as well, since Synergy doesn't actually sync anything in the traditional sense.
  7.    #7  
    has this changed?

----------------

Do you synchronize with Palm Desktop? Exchange ActiveSync may NOT be for you
    When you choose Exchange ActiveSync to get Outlook email on your smartphone, you'll also be synchronizing your Calendar data wirelessly at the same time. To prevent duplicates, information in your smartphone's Calendar will be deleted. It will be replaced with the Calendar information from the Exchange 2003 server (what you see in your Outlook calendar). Generally, this is the same information as was on your handheld.

However, if you synchronize your smartphone with Palm Desktop instead of Microsoft Outlook, and you choose Exchange ActiveSync, your Calendar data will be replaced with the information from the Exchange 2003 server. There is no way to synchronize only email and not Calendar using Exchange 2003; it's either both, or none. If you use Palm Desktop for your Calendar, we recommend not using Exchange ActiveSync to get your email.

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/NUA/launchKB.asp?c=17681
  8.    #8  
    here's the deal. i want to use my work server's EAS for EMAIL ONLY. but i want to continue to use Palm Desktop for my Contacts, Memos, Calendar etc. i don't want to sync my PIM with work Outlook - i just want the Push Email EAS Outlook. i have a Centro and plan to get the Pre.

is this possible? above it says "all or nothing" but not sure if that changed?
    It was pretty clear that the Pre will sync with multiple calendars. So it should be able to handle both your corporate outlook and palm desktop (assuming that there will be a way to sync the palm desktop) If you then don't want to display the corporate calendar you can adjust that on the handset.

At least that's how I read it.
  10.    #10  
    i'm trying to set up EAS on my Centro and i don't see the option to sync ONLY the Mail and NOT Contacts and Calendar. what is odd is that within the EAS menus, i see an "AutoSync" option which gives you options on what to sync - and all days/times when to sync! WTF? i thought EAS was push? why ask for days and times within the EAS menu when sync is 24/7??? and even if i check mail within that, the "Sync" button tells me that all contacts and calendar will be synced on the first sync. can someone help me with this?

can i select EAS to sync just mail? if so, how?

Thanks!
    i'm trying to set up EAS on my Centro and i don't see the option to sync ONLY the Mail and NOT Contacts and Calendar. what is odd is that within the EAS menus, i see an "AutoSync" option which gives you options on what to sync - and all days/times when to sync! WTF? i thought EAS was push? why ask for days and times within the EAS menu when sync is 24/7??? and even if i check mail within that, the "Sync" button tells me that all contacts and calendar will be synced on the first sync. can someone help me with this?

can i select EAS to sync just mail? if so, how?

Thanks!
    Setup AutoSync and uncheck Contacts and Calendar and do a sync so it knows not to sync those two. I have my AutoSync during business hours and usually that kills my battery so if the Centro did push with Versamail I have a feeling the battery life would be horrible I think Chattermail does push...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  12.    #12  
    Eguy - thanks for the reply - but why if it is EAS PUSH which is 24/7, why is it asking anything about autosync with days and times????? again, i'm setting this up for EASE PUSH and not POP, etc.

am i thinking about this correctly? i thought EAS PUSH was 24/7 - ie there is no "polling" or "pulling" and you get your emails as they are sent? then why is there a day/time option under EAS?
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    Windows Mobile and the iPhone both let you choose what PIM information to sync via EAS. This is a killer feature for me, as I get my work Email via EAS, but my calendar, contacts, and tasks from my personal Outlook on my home PC. I am interested in how this will work on the Pre as well, since Synergy doesn't actually sync anything in the traditional sense.
    Whilst the iPhone will sync Cals OTA, you have no choice over which Cals you can sync in this mode. For eg: It will not sync subscribed calendars OTA. If you use their hotsync feature ie: plug the phone in to your computer, you can choose which calendars to sync.
    Unfortunately for me, my company only use apple hardware (apart from my treo) and apple really don't have a good exchange calendar solution at the moment.

I believe that even in apples head office they don't currently use iCal for scheduling? Go figure? Steve must have decided it's just not important.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

14.    #14  
    has this changed with centro and newer EAS???

If you use EAS, you have a choice: you can either sync wirelessly with VersaMail's EAS, or you can delete the EAS account and sync your Calendar via HotSync. You cannot choose to sync only email with EAS; your option is to sync email and calendar, or not to use EAS.

Palm.com : Support: Message)
  15.    #15  
    true for VersaMail 4.0.1.00 (Centro w/ Sprint Update)???

Unfortunately EAS in Versamail 3.5 is an all or nothing option. In the product information if you were purchasing Versamail 3.5 is the Using built-in Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, wirelessly sync Calendar, Contacts, and email with your company's Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 (access enabled by your IT administrator). Or, access business email using POP or IMAP and a compatible Virtual Private Network (VPN) client (sold separately). The Guidelines for EAS on Exchange Server 2003 with MSFP (message and security feature pack) puts out the specification for Windows Mobile devices to sync Email, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks to Exchange server and any other partnership can do files, favorites, notes, media but the PIMS once enabled to go through EAS will only go through EAS until that partnership is removed. On a Palm OS based device the 755 is compatible for Direct Push email, calendar and contacts sync as well as some policy enforcement from the Mobile Access Admistrator plugin for Exchange 2003 such as PW enforcement, remote wipe. The specifications made the rules. Versamail 3.5 on the Treo 755 just follows them.

Re: 755p - How to sync only Exchange email but not calendar or contacts? - ActiveSync - Community Help Forums
    Last edited by Gekko; 03/03/2009 at 10:11 PM.
  16.    #16  
    come on. nobody knows anything about this???
    Eguy - thanks for the reply - but why if it is EAS PUSH which is 24/7, why is it asking anything about autosync with days and times????? again, i'm setting this up for EASE PUSH and not POP, etc.

am i thinking about this correctly? i thought EAS PUSH was 24/7 - ie there is no "polling" or "pulling" and you get your emails as they are sent? then why is there a day/time option under EAS?
    Versamail is just EAS Pull. You need Chattermail for EAS Push on Palm OS.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Versamail is just EAS Pull. You need Chattermail for EAS Push on Palm OS.
    EAS Pull???

with all due respect, i don't think you know what you're talking about.
  19.    #19  
    more info -

---

Must be referting to the option "As Items Arrive" autosync for Versamail. This will have to be selected on your phone to gain push function BUT will only show up as an available option on your phone if the exchange server has it on and the EAS accout has this service activated. To find this on your phone, in Versamail press the menu button, go to Options and select Preferences. Then from there select Autosync. Then in there you need something checked off if not all 3 already and then pay attention to the Every option. There will be an option for "As Items Arrive" there and just select it the then your phone will use push. If this option does not exist, either the phone did not get that policy sent to the phone acknowledging support for this or the service is not yet activated on the EAS acct. Hard reset the phone and recreate the EAS acct to see if it then shows up. Otherwise the server is not configured correctly and need to contact the server administrator. Please refer to Palm KnowledgeFinder and input 44998 into the solution ID box for additional information regarding EAS on the Palm Centro. Hope this helps.

Post relates to: Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM)
    Message Edited by thetreoguy on 07-01-2008 04:05 PM

Centro - Activesync 'Push' - how to tell if it's enabled? - ActiveSync - Community Help Forums
  20.    #20  
    yet more info -

----

Hello All,

I have a Palm Centro with Versamail 4.01 installed. I have EAS setup to sync to my corporate email.

I like the AutoSync funtion since it gives me mail when it arrives but I want to only synce Email and Calendar.

I dont want my personal contacts to sync to our corporate server. Autosync in VersaMail (AS ITEMS ARRIVE) gives me an all or nothing option.

If i uncheck contacts it unchecks everything.

Is this normal?

Is there an update to correct this?

If not can someone recommend Software that will allow me to do this.

-----

tested it on versamail 3.5.5 and 4.0.1. they both exhibited same behavior.

once the initial hotsync is done, autosync (as items arrive) will sync email, calendar and contacts from the server at the time stated.

if you uncheck, it will uncheck all. i haven't seen or heard any tweak for this setting as it is natural for the versamail.

Re: Versamail Syncing only Mail and Calendar using AutoSync - Wireless Email - Community Help Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast