1.    #1  
    Just found a blog on Zdnet with info about Googles Gdrive.

I particularly like this part
    ‘GDrive allows you to access your files from anywhere, anytime, and from any device - be it from your desktop, web browser or cellular phone’

Depending on size this could be a very good cloud based storage/backup system for the Pre.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    SedahDrol, I just saw the same article. Gdrive sounds very good for us. Do you think it will be free or free up to some limit?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    SedahDrol, I just saw the same article. Gdrive sounds very good for us. Do you think it will be free or free up to some limit?
    Well I've never used any of Googles services except for thier map and search engine. but it would use the same storage motif that Gmail and Picasa use. That is 1-5GB free and then you could pay for more that could be used for all Google products
    Or the space provided for GDrive could be shared with the space provided in Gmail.
    It's nice to see that Palm seems to be ahead of the curve with this cloud stuff, but honestly, this scares me. Maybe I'm just super security paranoid, but having all my personal files flying around the net is something that just doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure google has good security but I'm sure I'll be keeping my files local for quite some time until I can be really confident that my info won't end up elsewhere. Personally I don't mind running Exchange if that becomes necessary and if I can use VNC or logmein on the Pre then I'll have full access to all my stuff at home at any time.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    It's nice to see that Palm seems to be ahead of the curve with this cloud stuff, but honestly, this scares me. Maybe I'm just super security paranoid, but having all my personal files flying around the net is something that just doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure google has good security but I'm sure I'll be keeping my files local for quite some time until I can be really confident that my info won't end up elsewhere. Personally I don't mind running Exchange if that becomes necessary and if I can use VNC or logmein on the Pre then I'll have full access to all my stuff at home at any time.
    I'm with you there I love the internet and everything about it. But I don't like using other peoples services to store any of my data, especially since they always indemnify themselves from any liability for anything you store on their services, which is why I run my own web server, my own e-mail server, my own DNS server. I'm guessing that one could probably run their very own cloud based services with the proper know-how. If the people offering a service to hold my data don't want to be held accountable that's fine I won't use there services, I'll create my own. Sure google could lose your data, your hardrive could crash...Google could get hacked but so could your computer system...Which is more likely. That's where your have to hedge your bets. Me I'd rather bet that my sytems are more secure and reliable than Googles. Why? because I'm a nobody and unless someone is specifically targeting me they aren't going to go through all the effort to break into my system. But someone targeting google could gain access to a lot more information. Which is why I like options for offline storage which the pre appears to currently deny me.

Will I use the cloud probably, I don't use my treo for any real sensitive information. Most of my contacts you can find in the phone book rather easily. One thing to also keep in mind about information, is that it can be encrypted. so if you want to store something in the cloud, you could always encrypt it before storing.
    I share your hesitation about sending all my files to google, but this will be a great way to store entertainment (music, movies, pictures, ebooks) all in one spot. In the past, I've sent email with attachments to myself at gmail so I could access the files from a PC no matter where I was. That worked well. This, no doubt, will work better. I look forward to not having to remember where a file is located -- laptop, work PC, home PC, other home PC, you know.
    This will definitely be great! Now we just need a software decryption tool and Google cant threaten you!!

I wonder if Amazon's storage offers mobile access?