1.    #1  
    I was looking thru the partners Palm showed off in their keynote and just noticed YAHOO.

No one thinks this is a big deal. It can be a BIG plus for Both companies... I dont know about you but getting my Yahoo! mail and PIMs on SYNERGY is something real exciting to me.

I could not think of ANY mobile device that will offer YAHOO integration. Even Yahoo! can make this a selling point!

what you guys think?
    Yahoo is a big deal! If they are on board totally, not only your PIM's but Flickr photos and Launch Music and more can be accessible!!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's a very good point. You only hear about Gmail mentioned, but Yahoo is definitely a big plus. Perhaps aol email is also included, and not just AIM stuff from them.

I'm confused about Fandango and MovieTickets.com on there. What could they offer that's more than just using their websites? Would they not have been compatible without some special tweak?
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I'm confused about Fandango and MovieTickets.com on there. What could they offer that's more than just using their websites? Would they not have been compatible without some special tweak?
    It could just be that Palm wanted more examples (for later on, that is, when they're releasing more info) of how easy it is for a web developer to make a Pre application.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I totally overlooked Yahoo on that screen, and I also didn't realize that Yahoo has a full online PIM suite which syncs with both Outlook and Palm Desktop. Doesn't this potentially solve a lot of the worries regarding no desktop sync?
    Yahoo > Gmail, but nobody seems to realize that these days.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    Google > Yahoo....
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    ive actually been experimenting with all the email services (currently use and like google) but live mail is really impressing me with how well its desktop application works with the online service (how all email, contacts and calendars are automatically synced).

i really hope the pre supports live mail so i can move to it completely (im keeping my gmail active for now since its the only service i know is going to work with the pre... and i am getting a pre)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Didn't the IM app on the Pre have AIM integration? I'm pretty sure Fandango and MovieTickets.com are AIM bots. It could be possible that Palm did further integration to a Movie Showtimes program (I'd LOVE that), but simple AIM bot integration for those could work
    Quote Originally Posted by robitaille88 View Post
    Didn't the IM app on the Pre have AIM integration?
    It did, though they're not announcing AIM yet.
    no. you're still SOL if you don't have an internet connection and want to update info on your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Doesn't this potentially solve a lot of the worries regarding no desktop sync?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That seems like a... well... I wouldn't say rare case, cause there are no doubt people who may take laptops/netbooks with them on the road who may need to update info with no connection... but I'd say a vast majority of people who are at their computer are going to have internet access, with a large percentage of those people having wi-fi
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I go a lot of places where there's no internet access, well free internet access. And I know I'm not paying for hotspot service just to enter info into a lesser PIM than what I'm (free wifi) currently using on my computer. I'm not always stopping at a Panera to grab a bite to eat and update info from the day. I also have tasks, memos, and calls which wouldn't get synced to yahoo or google. I also don't want the info on my Centro to integrate with the info on my yahoo account. Just like I don't want my facebook or linkedin info integrated with my adr book unless it's just filling in missing info on the current contacts already on my phone. If there's people on those lists I want on my phone, they'd already be on there.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I go a lot of places where there's no internet access, well free internet access. And I know I'm not paying for hotspot service just to enter info into a lesser PIM than what I'm (free wifi) currently using on my computer. I'm not always stopping at a Panera to grab a bite to eat and update info from the day.
    So, why wouldn't you enter the info into your phone, when you're at a place with no internet access?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I go a lot of places where there's no internet access, well free internet access. And I know I'm not paying for hotspot service just to enter info into a lesser PIM than what I'm (free wifi) currently using on my computer. I'm not always stopping at a Panera to grab a bite to eat and update info from the day. I also have tasks, memos, and calls which wouldn't get synced to yahoo or google. I also don't want the info on my Centro to integrate with the info on my yahoo account. Just like I don't want my facebook or linkedin info integrated with my adr book unless it's just filling in missing info on the current contacts already on my phone. If there's people on those lists I want on my phone, they'd already be on there.
    I guess you dont live in a well-populated area. Libraries, fast food places, your work (and others, for that matter...if you know the key) are all places that I frequent or pass that have access. But I also live in a city blanketed in Sprint's EV-DO coverage so its not even a worry.

Consider this...you update a PIM in your Centro. Its ONLY on your Centro until you Hotsync. With the Pre, it will be on your device until it updates OTA. Unless you're in a 3rd world country, the PIM will get synced faster on the Pre to another location before you get home (considering a normal day) to Hotsync.

Lastly, if you use your computer to update your PIM, you have to Hotsync it to your Centro. Yeah, you might have free wifi with your laptop, but there's an extra step. And who wants to carry a laptop with them everywhere?! The Pre's syncing solution is better no matter how you put it for simple PIM updates. However, the Pre needs a full backup solution. And that's the ONLY place where current Treo's/Centro's have an advantage (maybe not if there is a solution developed that we have yet to hear about).
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I was looking thru the partners Palm showed off in their keynote and just noticed YAHOO.

No one thinks this is a big deal. It can be a BIG plus for Both companies... I dont know about you but getting my Yahoo! mail and PIMs on SYNERGY is something real exciting to me.

I could not think of ANY mobile device that will offer YAHOO integration. Even Yahoo! can make this a selling point!

what you guys think?
    I am glad someone else thinks this is huge too.
    I mentioned it on a "cloud" thread and no one seemed to care.
    This is a huge selling point for Palm and Yahoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromson View Post
    Yahoo > Gmail, but nobody seems to realize that these days.
    I 150% Agree. I tried using The Google suite for a little bit, but I ALWAYS go back to Yahoo.
    Dont forget that GoogleTalk has AIM integration.