Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    that touches on many of the ideas and concerns voiced in this forum. Palm is clearly ahead of the the curve in mobile computing based on article.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...Sfeed_IWK_News
    It does touch on something i said before though. Cloud security will be better than a lot of small businesses for those that concerned.

Many clients i have simply pay a little for the all around tech guy to come in and do some work while doing the backups and the like themselves.

Still, many will not..not use anything online related to store the goods.

The simple solution is for palm to offer multiple ways to do these things. If people want the sync with desktop method, then provide it. I'm assuming they will, but there's a lot of concern in these threads.. It's one thing not to provide any support for old palm OS programs and ask everybody to hop into the new stuff, but its asking a LOT to ask people to abandon old methods altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The simple solution is for palm to offer multiple ways to do these things. If people want the sync with desktop method, then provide it. I'm assuming they will, but there's a lot of concern in these threads.. It's one thing not to provide any support for old palm OS programs and ask everybody to hop into the new stuff, but its asking a LOT to ask people to abandon old methods altogether.
    I agree. And by not going down that path there will be a number of potential purchasers who will at least delay buying a Pre.
    That article doesn't seem to load here.

But if this is about security, I don't mind some of my photos, music and video being in a cloud. I have them backed up and there's nothing security related with those. But contacts and other personal info, I'm still wary of because of privacy reasons. Also what about server trouble?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Also what about server trouble?
    The privacy issues, that I get, though its not really a worry of mine so much, since there's much bigger privacy issues out there.

The server trouble though is not a concern at all, at least with regards to the Pre, since it'll be locally cached. If you add a contact at your Gmail, for example, it will have been up in order for you to have ever added the contact, so it will be up in order for the Pre to get a copy of it. Not to mention, I don't know the last time if ever that I've seen Google Calendar or GMail down, or even Facebook, so it depends on who you end up trusting your data with. (I realize that if we're talking about one's corporate email or something though, that is more likely to go down, but at the same time, you'll still have that local cache anyway.)
    As long as transfer between device and cloud is pretty fast, I think cloud computing is a pretty slick idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That article doesn't seem to load here.

But if this is about security, I don't mind some of my photos, music and video being in a cloud. I have them backed up and there's nothing security related with those. But contacts and other personal info, I'm still wary of because of privacy reasons. Also what about server trouble?
    It's primarily about why they expect that cloud _computing_ will grow this year. They expect more adoption now that enterprise level tools are coming out. They expect that adoption to create more outages at first due to increased load. However, they expect that better contingency planning at the enterprise level will manage to take it in stride. It's not Pre related per se since the Pre will theoretically cache your data. It's more SaaS related than cloud syncing.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by epz3 View Post
    As long as transfer between device and cloud is pretty fast, I think cloud computing is a pretty slick idea.
    In regards to PIM at least, the amount of data being exchanged is trivial - so yeah it should be pretty quick.
    I think this idea of the Cloud has really caused quite a bit of confusion in relation to how the Pre will function.

Common concerns seems to be about security of information and the need to be connected to use the Pre.

As I understand it, the Pre will operate like any other smartphone in that the data will be held on the device. Where the data comes from will be a function of where it is already kept. For example, I run a .Mac email account and corporate exchange server. The data for the .Mac is held on the .Mac servers (the cloud) and the data for the exchange account is held on the exchange servers at my office. I have both an iPhone, which is my main device, and a Treo 750 and I am able to sync my information, both ways, over the air (OTA) or I could, if I wanted, sync it over USB direct with my PC.

The Pre will allow me to sync OTA but not over USB, at least not out of the box. (There is clear evidence that 3rd parties will provide that functionality). The data that is being sync'd will be in exactly the same place as it is at the moment with my iPhone and does not introduce any additional data security risk. Nor will people need any more or less connectivity to work with their Pre than they already have with their Treo or iPhone.

What the Pre will do is handle that data much more elegantly than either the Treo 750 or the iPhone.

As far as things like Facebook and Google, I don't use them and so it isn't an issue. But, if you do use them then the Pre will also handle them much more elegantly.

I understand that there are some people who do not sync data over the air with their existing device and as it stands that does present a problem with the Pre until a USB sync facility becomes available. Personally, having contacts, calendar and email updated whilst I am away from my PC is very valuable and that is why I have set myself up as described, but I respect the fact that others prefer to do things differently.

I can confirm that updating OTA is not a particularly data intensive activity and populating a new iphone exchange account with calendar, contact and email takes just a few seconds.