Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Results 141 to 148 of 148
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And it'd be fairly simple to create a flash drive that took a AAA battery. Pop in an eneloop and you'd be good to go for quite a while.
    So simple, it's done all the time. Oh wait - not it's not. So you're saying instead of including a microSD slot (common in today's phones) it makes more sense to have fixed memory in the phone and the need to carry around a kludged-together memory device? Were you on the Foleo design team, perchance?
  2. #142  
    I'd prefe to have a mSD slot. I've actually been quite vocal about it. Why don't you learn to read more than one post in a thread or yet multiple threads genius. The point is since we don't have an mSD slot it should at least have USB host capabilities. And Seagate created a battery opperated bluetooth drive. So yeah, the idea is around. Many have used external drives on internet tablets. If something the size of your finger can be tossed in a work bag in case you lose info that's not backed up to the cloud for one reason or another, I see it as possibly being a good thing.
  3. #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If something the size of your finger can be tossed in a work bag in case you lose info that's not backed up to the cloud for one reason or another, I see it as possibly being a good thing.
    Why would you lose any info stored on the Pre's hard drive in the first place?
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And Seagate created a battery opperated bluetooth drive. So yeah, the idea is around. Many have used external drives on internet tablets. If something the size of your finger can be tossed in a work bag in case you lose info that's not backed up to the cloud for one reason or another, I see it as possibly being a good thing.
    Oooh, this gives me an idea. What about a bluetooth headset with a microSD card slot? That would be pretty cool. Although, I don't know how fast microSD data transfer can be, so I don't know whether the relatively slow BT link would be a limitation or not.
  5. Scott_L's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What about a bluetooth headset with a microSD card slot?
    I was discussing this possibility with a coworker last week. It would be very cool and without much added bulk to some models, but battery drain on both the headset and the phone came up as a concern. We figured such an item may actually come out though - and Palm may have already figured that out as a way to make more cash.

    Another option was a BT device you would carry in your pocket or on a keychain that would do the same thing. There are so many options for this type of external component.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    Another option was a BT device you would carry in your pocket or on a keychain that would do the same thing. There are so many options for this type of external component.
    So let me see if I've got this straight: We don't have room for even a microSD card slot, we don't seem to have great hardware or software support for a microUSB port flash drive, so that leaves BT for how to connect to our little mobile storage device that can carry around a couple of dozen gigs for our movies and backups. Is BT speedy enough for this?

    ...I like the way this is heading.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhox29 View Post
    Is BT speedy enough for this?
    BT 2.0 theoretical max throughput: 2.1 Mbps
    USB 2.0 Theoretical max throughput: 480 Mbps
    MicroSD theoretical max transfer rate: 20 MBps (or 160 Mbps)

    With BT vs MicroSD on a USB 2.0 port, the USB-connected MicroSD will be as much as 80 times faster (theoretically) than a Bluetooth connected device. There really isn't a comparison.

    FWIW, EVDO theoretical max throughput is 2.4 Mbps, but we've all seen what it really is in practice. BT simply is not the solution to moving around data in multi-gigabyte chunks.

    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    Why don't you learn to read more than one post in a thread or yet multiple threads genius. The point is since we don't have an mSD slot it should at least have USB host capabilities.
    I was responding to your USB host point. I think it's funny you tried to distract from the ridiculousness of your USB host post by referencing other, generally unrelated posts.
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    BT 2.0 theoretical max throughput: 2.1 Mbps
    USB 2.0 Theoretical max throughput: 480 Mbps
    MicroSD theoretical max transfer rate: 20 MBps (or 160 Mbps)

    With BT vs MicroSD on a USB 2.0 port, the USB-connected MicroSD will be as much as 80 times faster (theoretically) than a Bluetooth connected device. There really isn't a comparison.
    What about infrared? What about any other medium used for wireless syncing? In other words why limit mobile storage to a physical connection that there just doesn't seem to be room for on the Pre?

    Thoughts? Opinions? Snide remarks?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Posting Permissions