Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And it'd be fairly simple to create a flash drive that took a AAA battery. Pop in an eneloop and you'd be good to go for quite a while.
    So simple, it's done all the time. Oh wait - not it's not. So you're saying instead of including a microSD slot (common in today's phones) it makes more sense to have fixed memory in the phone and the need to carry around a kludged-together memory device? Were you on the Foleo design team, perchance?
    I'd prefe to have a mSD slot. I've actually been quite vocal about it. Why don't you learn to read more than one post in a thread or yet multiple threads genius. The point is since we don't have an mSD slot it should at least have USB host capabilities. And Seagate created a battery opperated bluetooth drive. So yeah, the idea is around. Many have used external drives on internet tablets. If something the size of your finger can be tossed in a work bag in case you lose info that's not backed up to the cloud for one reason or another, I see it as possibly being a good thing.
    If something the size of your finger can be tossed in a work bag in case you lose info that's not backed up to the cloud for one reason or another, I see it as possibly being a good thing.
    Why would you lose any info stored on the Pre's hard drive in the first place?
    And Seagate created a battery opperated bluetooth drive. So yeah, the idea is around. Many have used external drives on internet tablets. If something the size of your finger can be tossed in a work bag in case you lose info that's not backed up to the cloud for one reason or another, I see it as possibly being a good thing.
    Oooh, this gives me an idea. What about a bluetooth headset with a microSD card slot? That would be pretty cool. Although, I don't know how fast microSD data transfer can be, so I don't know whether the relatively slow BT link would be a limitation or not.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What about a bluetooth headset with a microSD card slot?
    I was discussing this possibility with a coworker last week. It would be very cool and without much added bulk to some models, but battery drain on both the headset and the phone came up as a concern. We figured such an item may actually come out though - and Palm may have already figured that out as a way to make more cash.

Another option was a BT device you would carry in your pocket or on a keychain that would do the same thing. There are so many options for this type of external component.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    Another option was a BT device you would carry in your pocket or on a keychain that would do the same thing. There are so many options for this type of external component.
    So let me see if I've got this straight: We don't have room for even a microSD card slot, we don't seem to have great hardware or software support for a microUSB port flash drive, so that leaves BT for how to connect to our little mobile storage device that can carry around a couple of dozen gigs for our movies and backups. Is BT speedy enough for this?

...I like the way this is heading.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhox29 View Post
    Is BT speedy enough for this?
    BT 2.0 theoretical max throughput: 2.1 Mbps
    USB 2.0 Theoretical max throughput: 480 Mbps
    MicroSD theoretical max transfer rate: 20 MBps (or 160 Mbps)

With BT vs MicroSD on a USB 2.0 port, the USB-connected MicroSD will be as much as 80 times faster (theoretically) than a Bluetooth connected device. There really isn't a comparison.

FWIW, EVDO theoretical max throughput is 2.4 Mbps, but we've all seen what it really is in practice. BT simply is not the solution to moving around data in multi-gigabyte chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    Why don't you learn to read more than one post in a thread or yet multiple threads genius. The point is since we don't have an mSD slot it should at least have USB host capabilities.
    I was responding to your USB host point. I think it's funny you tried to distract from the ridiculousness of your USB host post by referencing other, generally unrelated posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    BT 2.0 theoretical max throughput: 2.1 Mbps
    USB 2.0 Theoretical max throughput: 480 Mbps
    MicroSD theoretical max transfer rate: 20 MBps (or 160 Mbps)

With BT vs MicroSD on a USB 2.0 port, the USB-connected MicroSD will be as much as 80 times faster (theoretically) than a Bluetooth connected device. There really isn't a comparison.
    What about infrared? What about any other medium used for wireless syncing? In other words why limit mobile storage to a physical connection that there just doesn't seem to be room for on the Pre?

Thoughts? Opinions? Snide remarks?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678