Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    I have a 755P now with a 2 gig micro SD card. Internal memory is 64 meg. I personally am not put off by the Pre's 8 gig capacity. I have a 16 gig iPod Touch and don't have 8 gigs filled after a year and i could dump half the data on there. Others will have their own needs.

I am very curious to see how sync is going to work as a Mac user. The 3rd party solution talked about so far is Windows only it seems. The current Palm desktop software for Mac is old and not optimized for Intel Macs, but it works.

I am not interested in keeping contacts or a calendar or notes on Facebook.

Google? Maybe as long as that will sync to whatever I use locally on the computer -

Many things to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I also would like a removable card, but realistically 8Gb is more than enough room for more a lot more than a few albums of even your required quality.
    It does depend on what you have and how much media you like to carry with you through the day. But I've personally filled up my 8GB MP3 players. And considering the Pre is a smartphone, that space will also have to be shared with room for apps. I really think in 2009, 16GB should have been the standard since there is now support for 16GB or 32GB cards on new phones with expandable storage. Plus the iPhone, Nokia N96 and I think one other have 16GB built-in storage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ummmm.......WHY NO MICROSD SLOT!!!!!????

So they can add it to the Pre-2 so everyone will HAVE to upgarde later!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Ummmm.......WHY NO MICROSD SLOT!!!!!????

So they can add it to the Pre-2 so everyone will HAVE to upgarde later!
    Next time: 16 GB, no expansion. Time after that: 32 GB, no expansion. They learned too much from Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I really think in 2009, 16GB should have been the standard
    I think 32 GB and/or expansion to be competitive in the phone/media player market.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Plus the iPhone, Nokia N96 and I think one other have 16GB built-in storage.
    Nokia N97, also due 'first half 2009', will have 32 GB built-in and a micro SD slot:

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=2378

I think it's pretty clear that the iPhone/N series market isn't Palm's primary target, at least with this first gen Pre.
    what's the meaning of "standar"? If standar means "the stuff that just one or two models include" then yes, 32GB is a standar.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhox29 View Post
    ...why not use the micro USB port for a flash drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Because the device needs to support USB host instead of just USB client. There are some of us, myself included who thought that would be possible at first, but it seems more likely now that that was a misinterpretation.
    So does this mean that supporting a microUSB flash drive would not be "merely" a software issue, but rather a hardware issue and thus restricted by the constraints on room that has been the subject of much of this discussion?
    hahaha...some of you are too funny.

Have you every packed a suitcase for a long trip? Where you able to bring EVERYTHING you wanted? Or did you have to leave some stuff behind because it was too big or you didn't have enough room for it?

Or what about building your own home. Did you get everything you wanted, or did you have to cut some corners to be able to afford it or to make sure it would fit on the lot.

I am thinking building a phone is just like that. I am sure the design group wanted to put everything into the phone, but they couldn't. Maybe it was a size problem, or a power usage problem or an OS issue...They had to make compromises.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Silly question, but it doesn't have anything to do with the magnets used in the inductive charging capability, right? I only ask because I know in the past magnets and memory didn't mix. (Like diskettes) I too am not an engineer, so please go easy if this is a dumb question.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    Silly question, but it doesn't have anything to do with the magnets used in the inductive charging capability, right? I only ask because I know in the past magnets and memory didn't mix. (Like diskettes) I too am not an engineer, so please go easy if this is a dumb question.
    Flash memory is not based on writing anything magnetically like a hard drive or floppy disk is, so its not an issue anymore.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    hahaha...some of you are too funny.

Have you every packed a suitcase for a long trip? Where you able to bring EVERYTHING you wanted? Or did you have to leave some stuff behind because it was too big or you didn't have enough room for it?

Or what about building your own home. Did you get everything you wanted, or did you have to cut some corners to be able to afford it or to make sure it would fit on the lot.

I am thinking building a phone is just like that. I am sure the design group wanted to put everything into the phone, but they couldn't. Maybe it was a size problem, or a power usage problem or an OS issue...They had to make compromises.
    Storing your files is like that too. That's why people want a 32GB suitcase rather than a 8GB suitcase.
    I'm not that critical on the card part. But the more i think about it, i do think it should've been 16gb. Not sure what it costs palm, but i'm not sure its worth the constant criticism they will get for 8gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not that critical on the card part. But the more i think about it, i do think it should've been 16gb. Not sure what it costs palm, but i'm not sure its worth the constant criticism they will get for 8gb.

Yes. Why bring out a new phone with a memory size that is already in the market now.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I think 32 GB and/or expansion to be competitive in the phone/media player market.

Nokia N97, also due 'first half 2009', will have 32 GB built-in and a micro SD slot:

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=2378

I think it's pretty clear that the iPhone/N series market isn't Palm's primary target, at least with this first gen Pre.
    I think the US iPhone market IS what Palm is targeting. At least to some degree, looking at the heavy reliance on the touchscreen interface. 32GB would have been VERY nice but we're talking about Palm. But at the very least if they'd done 16GB and pushed it as available to store a good amount of both data and media, plus having a keyboard, removable battery and cut and paste(I assume it has this), they could have taken some of the wind out of the 16GB iPhone's sail.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Why I can believe not putting in an SD card slot was due to a space issue, I also do think 16GB internal storage would have made a lot more sense as a competitor to the iphone. The Pre better be very competitively priced.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by jhox29 View Post
    So does this mean that supporting a microUSB flash drive would not be "merely" a software issue, but rather a hardware issue and thus restricted by the constraints on room that has been the subject of much of this discussion?
    No. The hardware is actually there, but the software apparantly is only going to support client. The onboard USB controller is capable of acting as both client or host. Rumor has it that Palm has only implemented the client side (iow it acts as a usb card only). Somehow I expect somebody to hack a way to do it.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    No. The hardware is actually there, but the software apparantly is only going to support client. The onboard USB controller is capable of acting as both client or host. Rumor has it that Palm has only implemented the client side (iow it acts as a usb card only). Somehow I expect somebody to hack a way to do it.
    The Pre's hardware may be ready; there's still a hardware "gap" to bridge between it and a thumbdrive, though. You need a cable with a microUSB port at one end; the other has to fit the USB port on the thumbdrive. So that'll either take a custom cable or some jury-rigging.

That said, if someone gets it to work, it may well be worth it. Not elegant, perhaps; still worth it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    I seriously doubt the Pre's hardware has the necessary 500 mA power supply for their USB port. Having a physical port is the easy part. If they didn't have room enough to hold a micro-SD card in the Pre, I seriously doubt they put in the necessary hardware to make the USB port capable of hosting.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Yes. Why bring out a new phone with a memory size that is already in the market now.
    I guess that really is the question that remains unanswered even in the facebook flacking.
    cables like that are easy to fabricate. Having had a Nokia internet tablet, people have made those cables in bulk. You could buy one of those and get a Motorola Mini to Micro USB adapter. They started making them when their BT headsets migrated from Mini to Micro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    The Pre's hardware may be ready; there's still a hardware "gap" to bridge between it and a thumbdrive, though. You need a cable with a microUSB port at one end; the other has to fit the USB port on the thumbdrive. So that'll either take a custom cable or some jury-rigging.
    And it'd be fairly simple to create a flash drive that took a AAA battery. Pop in an eneloop and you'd be good to go for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I seriously doubt the Pre's hardware has the necessary 500 mA power supply for their USB port. Having a physical port is the easy part. If they didn't have room enough to hold a micro-SD card in the Pre, I seriously doubt they put in the necessary hardware to make the USB port capable of hosting.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast