Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 148
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I'll take this suggestion for $500, Alex
    2nd. Let us hope it IS a software issue.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    It seems like the thread it boiling down to some people believing the lack of an SD card is an unacceptable trade off, and other people thinking the trade off acceptable or there really is no trade off at all and Palm could have somehow fit the card in there.

    My response to you is... would an increase in size or removal of a different feature ose customers? (wi-fi? back to the smaller headphone jack? back to the old palm connector and not USB?)... but if you don't think there is any kind of trade off at all, then we, and this entire thread, is going to just keep on going in circles.
    I wouldve been willing for less on board memory in trade of a card slot. 3.5mm jack? Thats probably what wouldve gone for me with BT 2.0. Thats the reason its (the 3.5mm) so important on the iPhone. iPhone dosent have BT 2.0. With BT 2.0 we can move to wireless headphones. So either of those 2 would be a fair trade off to me.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  3. DavidJ's Avatar
    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Matt Crowley, recently featured at http://blog.palm.com, answers some questions in a Facebook discussion group at http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...id=32915930478

    microSD:
    ‘Design’ was the highest goal on the Palm Pre project. The phone has to look and function great in the hand and up against the face on a call. The decision to include or not include expandable storage is an easy one when design is the highest priority. The physical size of the device would have been compromised if we added another physical component to Pre. Just a millimeter can seriously impact the curvature of the design in a way that minimizes the design intent. We wanted to maintain a slick curved slider design without building out too much thickness.

    "
    Ok, Matt, just Who's hand are we talking about? Unless all of our hands have less than 1mm difference in size, then your argument is moot at best...

    Be that as it is, I've yet found a need for 8G of storage on my PDA. I use my iPod for music & stuff and my phone/pda for data files.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    I'm willing to bet that when the Pre hit's the street and the first teardown is made, we'll see that Palm could have added either a larger battery or a micro SD slot. I contend they selected the battery they did not because it is the only one that would fit but it is an off the shelf item for them. The 1500 mAh Pro battery was too large so the centro battery was used. How are they going to fit a SIM card into the Pre if a micro SD card will not? In the package they have, you can put a cellular radio, BT, WiFi, GPS, a micro SD slot, all the necessary antennas, and a SIM card. If a feature dumbphone can, the Pre can too.

    Companies will always give you an explaination which justifies their choices. It really doesn't matter what the true may or may not be because they will taylor their respond to support the decisions they make.

    I agree.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #85  
    I don't see using BT headphones as a technological progression, migrating away from standard headphones. They will never sound as good as their wired counterpart, you have to worry about keeping them charged, and the variety of types won't really fit everyone's bill. I use canal buds almost exclusively whether they are my cheap JVC's or higher end Denon's. I want to plug and play and not worry about BT, adapters and what not. I want my phone to work seamlessly as an mp3 player. Having BT2.0 is a nice option, but not an alternative to a standard 3.5mm jack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I wouldve been willing for less on board memory in trade of a card slot. 3.5mm jack? Thats probably what wouldve gone for me with BT 2.0. Thats the reason its (the 3.5mm) so important on the iPhone. iPhone dosent have BT 2.0. With BT 2.0 we can move to wireless headphones. So either of those 2 would be a fair trade off to me.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  6. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree.
    Well what do you expect them to say? Don't buy our phone because it only has 8 gb onboard memory and no sd slot. If they didn't put it in obviously their marketing people decided they will sell more the way they designed it.
  7. #87  
    No but I'm going to guess they ignored the 16GB iPhone and the pending 32GB rumors. If they're going for the iPhone crowd as someone else claimed, I'm not paying the same or more for less storage. I can't speak for other iPhone owners, but there's nothing really there to make me take less storage, except cut and paste, but I also use many other phones. And because I have other phones that DO have expandable storage and desktop sync, there's even less incentive for me to get the first Pre. I'm only speaking for myself though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. Scott_L's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #88  
    As nice as BT headphones/earbuds would be, I don't want another device to charge. Plus, playing music for several hours a day on my Treo 755 beats on the battery - having the BT radio on all that time as well would probably take another chunk of the battery's charge that I don't want to lose.
  9. storyr's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    Speak for yourself....I am an engineer.
    Ok, engineer - engineer it. Let's see the specs...
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Ok, engineer - engineer it. Let's see the specs...
    Ok clown, make me laugh!
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    microSD:
    ‘Design’ was the highest goal on the Palm Pre project. The phone has to look and function great in the hand and up against the face on a call.
    Is it just me, or was that entire Facebook post just a long-winded justification for form over function?
  12. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #92  
    While I've been accepting that there's no SD card, I do wish it had one. But I what I want most of all is the Pre to be a success, and set Palm up to deliver a ton more webOS devices. Form is just as important as function if they want to sell the thing and get to that point.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure they left all sorts of room for features in there that they didn't add. I'm not sure how it works with cell phones, but I design medical products, and I'm given the final shape of the device by industrial designers and I have to fit all the features in that space. The fact that it has a slider with full qwerty, touchscreen, a 3.5 mm jack, and more electrical components seems to be lost on some people. Those take up space.

    Yeah they did if smaller feature phones have all the radios, slots, audio jacks, features, and have slider mechanisms. The multi-core arm chips used to run the newest generation of phones free up all kinds of space on the PCB boards because they can put video, NAND, & DDR SRAM all on one die. BT, Wifi, & FM radio can be placed into one die. The Centro battery is not a energy dense pack considering it's capacity. You can get a 1300-1350 mAh battery out the same form factor without heat and durability issues but they didn't.

    This smells of a business decision and not a packaging one just as the one source app store appears to be. They wanted to create an iPhone-like eccosystem because that is the most sucessful one out there today from a revenue perspective. How many companies will tell their customers that? They'll tell their investors those things.

    I've packaged mission components for spacecraft, automotive electronics, transportation (aviation & railway), and TELECOMMUNICATIONS applications so the concept is not lost with me.
    Last edited by pgh1969pa; 01/24/2009 at 01:51 AM.
  14. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    Yeah they did if smaller feature phones have all the radios, slots, audio jacks, features, and have slider mechanisms. The multi-core arm chips used to run the newest generation of phones free up all kinds of space on the PCB boards because they can put video, NAND, & DDR SRAM all on one die. BT, Wifi, & FM radio can be placed into one die. The Centro battery is not a energy dense pack considering it's capacity. You can get a 1300-1350 mAh battery out the same form factor without heat and durability issues but they didn't.

    This smells of a business decision and not a packaging one just as the one source app store appears to be. They wanted to create an iPhone-like eccosystem because that is the most sucessful one out there today from a revenue prespective. How many companies will tell their customers that? They'll tell their investors those things.

    I've packaged mission components for spacecraft, automotive electronics, transportation (aviation & railway), and TELECOMMUNICATIONS applications so the concept is not lost with me.
    While I'm not an engineer or anything and can't really comment on most of that... I'm doubting your battery comment. I'm sure a third party like seidio would have made an extended battery that was the centro size by now if they could have. (If one has come out recently, I don't know about it, and own the fat extended battery, just because there was no other option when I bought it.)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    While I'm not an engineer or anything and can't really comment on most of that... I'm doubting your battery comment. I'm sure a third party like seidio would have made an extended battery that was the centro size by now if they could have. (If one has come out recently, I don't know about it, and own the fat extended battery, just because there was no other option when I bought it.)
    Seidio has a Centro battery with 1350 mAh of capacity that fits inside the same profile as the stock battery. Does that clear up your doubts?
  16. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #96  
    On the battery issue, yes. Definitely looks like they're simply using the Centro battery just because they have already have cheap access to them.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    On the battery issue, yes. Definitely looks like they're simply using the Centro battery just because they have already have cheap access to them.
    Exactly. Once one can be obtained and a teardown is done, we'll see what other optimizations were not made. The Treo 800w wasn't optimized for battery capacity and a larger battery (with more capacity) could have been placed inside it's casing. They made a business decision.
    Last edited by pgh1969pa; 01/24/2009 at 02:02 AM.
  18. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    Yeah they did if smaller feature phones have all the radios, slots, audio jacks, features, and have slider mechanisms. The multi-core arm chips used to run the newest generation of phones free up all kinds of space on the PCB boards because they can put video, NAND, & DDR SRAM all on one die. BT, Wifi, & FM radio can be placed into one die. The Centro battery is not a energy dense pack considering it's capacity. You can get a 1300-1350 mAh battery out the same form factor without heat and durability issues but they didn't.

    This smells of a business decision and not a packaging one just as the one source app store appears to be. They wanted to create an iPhone-like eccosystem because that is the most sucessful one out there today from a revenue perspective. How many companies will tell their customers that? They'll tell their investors those things.

    I've packaged mission components for spacecraft, automotive electronics, transportation (aviation & railway), and TELECOMMUNICATIONS applications so the concept is not lost with me.
    What smaller feature phones have all the hardware the Pre has? And reliabilty is important. Just because Seido advertizes a 1350 mAhr battery doesn't mean it works.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=1350
    Last edited by dave75; 01/24/2009 at 10:46 AM.
  19. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #99  
    Interesting find there, it's probably good I got my other battery before their initial release. That's certainly something to consider. However, even Palm is only using the smaller Centro battery as a business decision, I don't necessarily think it's a bad decision. It's not like they're overflowing with money.

    People want an SD slot, in part, because you have the option to upgrade. Well... Palm did give that option for the battery at least.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  20. Scott_L's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    But I what I want most of all is the Pre to be a success, and set Palm up to deliver a ton more webOS devices.
    AMEN! I want Palm to not only survive, I want them to come back and thrive! The thought of my Treo 755p being my last Palm device had me pretty concerned for a while but now I see light at the end of the tunnel (and not the bright light of passage!). I'm psyched for the Pre and follow-up devices (with MicroSD added of course). Oh, and I wouldn't mind my shares of Palm to shoot up and stay there.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions