Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    For those people who use Outlook, but don't have an Exchange account, there may be an option.

Windows Live now has a calendar beta. And, MS has something called Outlook Connector, which allows you to sync Outlook to a Live account, including calendar... BOTH WAYS. That is, you can view your Hotmail email and Live calendar in Outlook and send email through your Hotmail account using Outlook. Plus, you can add a calendar entry to your Live calendar using Outlook and Outlook Connector will sync it to your Live calendar in the cloud.

Now, it is still in beta and doesn't work consistently right now. But by the release of the Pre, it should be working more consistently.

In addition, you can add any email account to your Hotmail. So you can view, say, your work email in both Outlook and Hotmail from a Web browser.

So that puts your calendar (and presumably tasks) in the cloud with sync to Outlook. Hopefully, this will be fully integrated in the Pre like they vaguely hinted at for Google. If you can actually work with ANY canonical information source, then it will work with Live.
    Last edited by Rhody; 01/22/2009 at 05:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    As an update, I got the Live calendar app and Outlook Connector to work consistently now. I reinstalled Outlook Connector and it syncs perfectly, bidirectionally.

So when the Pre comes out, you can transfer your Outlook data to Live, add your Live data to Outlook, have your Pre access the information from the cloud, and you won't have to change how you use Outlook on your desktop.
    Does Live also sync Tasks & Notes (and contacts).
    I have google calendar syncing with outlook calendar now, but that kind of leaves out the contact, task and note syncing aspects.
    Thanks Rhody for the info. If Live can sync tasks and notes as well then that may be the best option for those of us that have relied on outlook syncing for many years. The negative part though is that it means ALL your info is flying around the net. I don't specifically think that Live is not secure, but being an engineer with a lot of computer security background, I tend to be a bit paranoid about my data. Local storage with direct sync has always felt like the most secure way to keep my data. I do use gmail, but email is generally the only thing I'm willing to store online and even that is purged as soon as it's downloaded to outlook.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    It doesn't sync contacts, tasks, and notes right now, but it's pretty early. I think they're working on it, because Outlook Connector does allow me to create tasks (to-do entries), contacts, and notes; it just doesn't sync yet.

However, I am worried that MS will not work with Palm to incorporate Live data into the Pre's notification system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    It doesn't sync contacts, tasks, and notes right now, but it's pretty early. I think they're working on it, because Outlook Connector does allow me to create tasks (to-do entries), contacts, and notes; it just doesn't sync yet.

However, I am worried that MS will not work with Palm to incorporate Live data into the Pre's notification system.
    Not syncing contacts, tasks and notes make live pretty useless for syncing outlook. Presumably, MS Exchange will sync all 4 pillars of PIM (and push email).
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not syncing contacts, tasks and notes make live pretty useless for syncing outlook. Presumably, MS Exchange will sync all 4 pillars of PIM (and push email).
    Unfortunately, Exchange Active Sync only syncs e-mail, calendar, contacts and tasks. It doesn't sync notes. For some reason, MS has yet to add it and it is very annoying. To sync notes, you still have to connect to a desktop and sync directly with Outlook. Personally, I don't use tasks, but I do use notes and this has always been a problem for me. Maybe one day MS will add it.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev View Post
    Unfortunately, Exchange Active Sync only syncs e-mail, calendar, contacts and tasks. It doesn't sync notes. For some reason, MS has yet to add it and it is very annoying. To sync notes, you still have to connect to a desktop and sync directly with Outlook. Personally, I don't use tasks, but I do use notes and this has always been a problem for me. Maybe one day MS will add it.
    EAS on my 755p doesn't sync tasks (or notes). Does EAS sync tasks or notes on other devices?

By the way, I find EAS to be pretty slick. Way better than Blackberry system. IT guy at my company is pushing everyone to EAS--when the Exchange server has to be rebooted, all BB folks have to be re-entered by hand, whereas EAS folks are up and running without any effort.

I hope EAS on the Pre is at least as good as it is on the 755p.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    EAS on my 755p doesn't sync tasks (or notes). Does EAS sync tasks or notes on other devices?

By the way, I find EAS to be pretty slick. Way better than Blackberry system. IT guy at my company is pushing everyone to EAS--when the Exchange server has to be rebooted, all BB folks have to be re-entered by hand, whereas EAS folks are up and running without any effort.

I hope EAS on the Pre is at least as good as it is on the 755p.
    EAS syncs tasks on WM. It might not on other platforms, but I am not sure. It doesn't sync notes on any platform including WM.
    Jeff
    CHapura was one of the featured devekopers in the keynote, and i hope they come up with an Outlook desktop syncing application for the Pre.

Still am pretty reluctant to put my PIMs on the cloud.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Outlook Connector is purported to sync calendar, to-do entries, and contacts between Outlook and the Live cloud services.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...225181033.aspx
    http://email.about.com/od/outlookadd...ce_ol_conn.htm

Personally, I have it successfully syncing calendar and contacts, but not to-do entries. I'm stumped.

Right now, I have a Treo 800w, so I'm using WinMo. Thus, I can't sync my calendar to live, but I can sync my contacts. I think they're working on a new Windows Live Moble app though. If I could sync my Treo to the Live calendar, to-do, and contacts, then I could stop desktop syncing right now and go cloud.

My worry is that MS will not cooperate with Palm, and the Pre won't sync with the Live services. Palm purports that the Pre will sync with any canonical cloud service, but that's not entirely in their control. MS usually gives their services away for free, but then again, they do want to sell WinMo phones.