Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I am new to Palm, I've never used one before. But reading all about the Pre (and webOS) has gotten me really interested. I currently (and for many years) have used a Blackberry, but I am not opposed to switching. I'm trying to learn more and have a few Gmail related questions. I'm not a fan of the Android stuff out there. Forgive me if these are dumb but I'm trying to learn more and am not the most tech-savvy individual out there!

A big negative of Blackberries for me is the lack of support for non-Enterprise server users. If you don't have an enterprise server, there aren't that many options for syncing, backup, etc.

I am an avid Gmail user and use Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Chat/Talk, etc. for both personal and business use. I'm not crazy about the Android devices out there. What sort of integrated options are going to be available on the Pre - will I be able to sync my Gmail contacts, Google calendars, etc with the Pre? Google Sync is pretty useful on the Blackberry.

Also, how will the Pre handle Gmail email itself? On my BB, I use the Gmail Blackberry Application, which is pretty decent but still not the best - it's slow at times and occasionally buggy. (I don't use it with the BB native email client because it doesn't offer 2-way sync). Will Gmail integration be an option, will it be there natively or do you have to download/purchase an application to make it work - or will Google itself offer its Gmail application for the Pre? I'd love to get more clarification on this.

I think where BB lacks is that it isn't terribly consumer friendly - it has great business capabilities but I'm looking for a smartphone that works for all kinds of individuals, not just businessmen!

Everything else on the Pre looks pretty amazing to me - a very useful device that could be amazing. Thanks for your help!
    The native email client is what supports GMail. That being said, we don't know if its working as push email, or whether its being pulled. We also don't know if its working through IMAP or POP3 or whatever.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Thanks - what will syncing be like? I keep reading about 'Synergy' and 'Clouds' - all of which I'm unsure of what is meant.

Basically, will I be able to use Google Sync to sync contacts/calendar/etc or will there be other programs to do this with?
    Quote Originally Posted by ituleb View Post
    Thanks - what will syncing be like? I keep reading about 'Synergy' and 'Clouds' - all of which I'm unsure of what is meant.

Basically, will I be able to use Google Sync to sync contacts/calendar/etc or will there be other programs to do this with?
    It will automatically sync your google information once you log in. Not sure if it's push or pulled like others have said.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I have not heard or read any confirmation that the Pre contacts/calendar/tasks apps will allow you to create or edit information. As far as I can tell, it's sync-and-read only, and you will have to open up a browser to create a calendar entry, for example, on your Google account. I hope I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I have not heard or read any confirmation that the Pre contacts/calendar/tasks apps will allow you to create or edit information. As far as I can tell, it's sync-and-read only, and you will have to open up a browser to create a calendar entry, for example, on your Google account. I hope I'm wrong.
    I think you may be the only person that believes that. No one would buy a smartphone that did not let you add appointments to the device (at least I hope no one would be that stupid).
    You're kidding, right? They demonstrated creating a new entry in the calendar during the conference.

I wish people would actually watch the little information we have before making comments like this.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I think you may be the only person that believes that. No one would buy a smartphone that did not let you add appointments to the device (at least I hope no one would be that stupid).
    I do not believe what you assert; however, I do believe what I wrote. Those are two very different things. Maybe you should read it again.

The Pre will have its own PIM and will allow you to sync Google calendar. You absolutely can create a Palm calendar entry using the Pre. However, no article, video, blog, etc. has indicated in any way that you would be able to create a calendar entry on Google using the Pre without opening a browser. That said, millions of people were stupid enough to buy a smartphone that does that. Probably even you!

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're kidding, right? They demonstrated creating a new entry in the calendar during the conference.

I wish people would actually watch the little information we have before making comments like this.
    During the conference, he created a Palm calendar entry. Maybe YOU should watch the information again before casting aspersions.
    I do not believe what you assert; however, I do believe what I wrote. Those are two very different things. Maybe you should read it again.

The Pre will have its own PIM and will allow you to sync Google calendar. You absolutely can create a Palm calendar entry using the Pre. However, no article, video, blog, etc. has indicated in any way that you would be able to create a calendar entry on Google using the Pre without opening a browser. That said, millions of people were stupid enough to buy a smartphone that does that. Probably even you!

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.
    If that's what you're meant, that's what you should have said, because you clearly said that you didn't think that the Pre calendar would let you create information, and both myself and ADGrant responded to this that it is possible to create information.

As for your newer assertion, you should read this article: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html

Users just make changes to their data (contacts, calendar, mail, etc.), and Palm's webOS handles committing those changes to whatever canonical data source it is accessing in the cloud.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If that's what you're meant, that's what you should have said, because you clearly said that you didn't think that the Pre calendar would let you create information, and both myself and ADGrant responded to this that it is possible to create information.
    I understand the confusion, although when read in light of the title of the thread, I believe my post was clear. However, I apologize for not clearly stating that I was talking about the Pre/GMail/Google relationship in the body of my post.

As for your newer assertion, you should read this article: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html
    That doesn't come right out and say that Google is one of those "canonical data sources," but it's the biggest hint I have seen so far. Thanks for the link. Like I said, again, I hope I'm wrong and the Pre allows me to work with any cloud service without a browser, including my personal preference: Live.
    Less pass on the passive aggressive comments, this is only a smartphone we're discussing here.

Just like you can filter your calendar to view only Google/Outlook/Facebook appointments, I would assume you could create a new entry on your Pre and have it sync to whichever service you tell it to. Otherwise, the whole "cloud services" point would deliver only half of what it should. I wouldn't worry about this.
    Will there be a app or will it come as a feature on the phone to sync my gmail contacts from my g1 ?
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdangles18 View Post
    Will there be a app or will it come as a feature on the phone to sync my gmail contacts from my g1 ?

You'd sync with your gmail account not the g1.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You'd sync with your gmail account not the g1.
    ight thanks u know what I ment.