Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...nc-939116.html

"CompanionLink users will be able to sync contacts, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, calendar events, tasks, notes, and alarms and reminders between the Palm Pre and popular contact management solutions like ACT! by Sage, Google, Palm Desktop, Lotus Notes, GoldMine, and Microsoft Outlook. Complete two-way synchronization ensures that any change to data on the Palm Pre will synchronize back with the contact management database. CompanionLink lets users choose between wired (USB) sync and wireless (over-the-air) sync with their phone."

Does this mean that this solution will have to be purchased separately? I had thought that wireless sync with Google and Outlook (Exchange) was part of the Synergy product, and thus already in the box?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    No item on the price but

CompanionLink users will be able to sync contacts, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, calendar events, tasks, notes, and alarms and reminders between the Palm Pre and popular contact management solutions like ACT! by Sage, Google, Palm Desktop, Lotus Notes, GoldMine, and Microsoft Outlook. Complete two-way synchronization ensures that any change to data on the Palm Pre will synchronize back with the contact management database. CompanionLink lets users choose between wired (USB) sync and wireless (over-the-air) sync with their phone.
    Well that's good news for the desktop people - I'm rather surprised by the announcement as they aren't (are they?) a launch partner and as far as I am aware haven't released the SDK. So how has the product been developed? Anyone?

It also means that I was completely wrong when I guessed that the Pre PIM would be locked down to prevent desktop sync, so it seems that a whole raft of competing products can be developed.
    nice find!
    Great news. I also hope is allows BT syncing directly to my laptop/Outlook.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    looking on companionlink's site, i see they offer their "wireless sync" for $9.95/month on their servers. maybe that's the up-sell. offer the USB sync bundle free with the pre and at little/no cost to palm - and get the chance to up-sell the subscription service to all of palm's potentially huge user base via the "upgrade now" icon. give away the razor to sell the razor blades.

http://www.companionlink.com/products/wirelesssync.html
    Based on the press release and a cursory search of "CRM software", I sort of got the impression that this was something more for sales people. For example, if the company has a database of tens of thousands of names, and you're responsible for cold-calling maybe a thousand, then you would be able to sync that over the air, and probably fill in the sales information if you do sell to them.

I could be entirely mistaken though.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Does this somehow enable third-party conduits? (Or at least demonstrate that adapting existing conduits will not be difficult? Oh wait - I'm getting ahead of myself...StyleTap hasn't confirmed a POS emulator in WebOS yet. Damn...)
    so we have chapura, intellisync, and companionlink? and i guess dataviz is in the sync business too. sheesh.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    There's something screwy here - the SDK hasn't been released and they aren't (as far as I can determine using the internet) a launch partner - so how have they developed the software?

There are interviews with what appears to be the next tier down - "premium developers" and they say that Palm hasn't provided them with Mojo SDK. Hum....

I have use Companion Link to transfer from Palm to Blackberry, its a great product. Will probably use it to return to Palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There's something screwy here - the SDK hasn't been released and they aren't (as far as I can determine using the internet) a launch partner - so how have they developed the software?

There are interviews with what appears to be the next tier down - "premium developers" and they say that Palm hasn't provided them with Mojo SDK. Hum....

Well, we already know from anonymous Ars stories and leaked peeks that Mojo is out there in SOME hands, even in beta-ish form. That gives Palm the ++bonus of working the bugs out of Mojo AND getting some apps out in time for the launch.

If Palm are smart, they'll pick their Mojo "beta testers" and distribute it to folks/companies that can fill in deficiencies in pre's app suite.
    Glad to see that there will most likely be a solution for me to sync my outlook data without using Exchange. Hopefully there will be a free bluetooth solution as well.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Well, we already know from anonymous Ars stories and leaked peeks that Mojo is out there in SOME hands, even in beta-ish form. That gives Palm the ++bonus of working the bugs out of Mojo AND getting some apps out in time for the launch.

If Palm are smart, they'll pick their Mojo "beta testers" and distribute it to folks/companies that can fill in deficiencies in pre's app suite.
    I guess so - I would have thought that they would have played up the connection in their marketing, that's all.
    I've been saying this for awhile, but I still think Palm would be get some major developer support if they released the beta SDK to the general public immediately. All they have to do is make it very clear that people will get no support and there's a good chance the SDK will change by the final version. I'd say if they released the SDK now and the phone came out in a few months, the pre would have 100's if not 1000's of apps on day one!
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I've been saying this for awhile, but I still think Palm would be get some major developer support if they released the beta SDK to the general public immediately. All they have to do is make it very clear that people will get no support and there's a good chance the SDK will change by the final version. I'd say if they released the SDK now and the phone came out in a few months, the pre would have 100's if not 1000's of apps on day one!

I know - I have a programmer lined up to do an app that I think will sell by the bucketload - just need that SDK
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Hopefully there will be a free bluetooth solution as well.
    I'm with you on this schnoid.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I know - I have a programmer lined up to do an app that I think will sell by the bucketload - just need that SDK
    need another programmer to share in the profits? :-P
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    We too have used Companion Link products for BB desktop sync. They make good software.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I get the impression that they plan on making their software compatible with the pre once it is released, this does not mean they have any connection with Palm, and I would think they will charge full price for their software.
    On the other had when I read the propaganda on the pre I got the impression that it was capible of syncing with Google out of the box, this would be an easy solution if it did, just import your contacts, and calendar into Google then sync with the pre, if it does of course.
    Terry
    cool - another good option. Thanks OP
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast