1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    "We at SplashData are enthusiastic about the Pre and webOS, we're proud to have been featured in the announcement at CES, and we have been working with Palm to ensure we can support the launch with a new version of SplashID.

I like the web-based approach for applications since it allows us to leverage the investment we've already made in web-oriented services like SplashID Live."
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...live-on-webos/

One, that's one of my predictions now I wait to see if I'm right about the rest or if I have to run naked through the streets as I promised I'd do if I got this all wrong... :-)
    Last edited by CGK; 01/19/2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Good find CGK. Still not sure I want to send my SlpashID data through the Cloud but let's see how it works and what protections users will have.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I use their SplashMoney, so I hope they bring that over too.
    I know some will be concerned about SplashID type stuff being available over the cloud, but after reading their security page, I'm really not all that concerned about it.

No, what I don't like is the idea of paying a yearly fee for a program I in the past only had to pay for once to use.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I personally work in the credit industry and there is no way I would want this information in the cloud! I love their PalmOS SplashID and Windows clients but having that on the cloud is not an option for me. I know not to take a companies word on their security. I want to see security certificates that they have renewed on a regular basis (Secureworks, PCI, etc).

Also, I have no desire to pay a subscription fee for an application like this. There just isn't any reason!

I really hope they make a stand-alone application for the Pre and not expect users to "upgrade" to SplashID Live. I know I for one would not.
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    I would draw the line here as well. I'm not posting highly sensitive personal data on the Cloud no matter what the encryption level is because there is always a back door.

I use HandBase for all my databases. The one that contains all the info that one might keep in Splash ID I have password protected and plus it encrypts all the data when I close it. It is stored locally on my phone and backed up on my PC.

I learned a long time ago its better to make your own databases rather than relying on canned software packages. It makes your data more portable and gives you more options as to what program you use to view it. You are also not stuck when a software company goes under or you switch platforms. It also allows you to view your data on a desktop PC using Access.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/19/2009 at 04:16 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    They may not force you to use SplashID live. What they are saying is they will reuse the code from SplashID Live (which is a web app). Its unclear if their WebOS app will have to sync to the cloud. OTOH, with no desktop sync, that may be the direction they are going.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post

I really hope they make a stand-alone application for the Pre and not expect users to "upgrade" to SplashID Live. I know I for one would not.
    If they get enough people on the live service, I bet we never see a stand alone app - if they don't, they we see a stand alone app.

(just a guess).
  9. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I would draw the line here as well. I'm not posting highly sensitive personal data on the Cloud no matter what the encryption level is because there is always a back door.
    I share that view, and sincerely hope they don;t go down that route for all. As well as the personal risk, in my case storing work related data in SplashID using a 3rd party cloud would breach a fair number of corporate data protection policies, and consequently make it fit for little more than shopping lists.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I learned a long time ago its better to make your own databases rather than relying on canned software packages. It makes your data more portable and gives you more options as to what program you use to view it. You are also not stuck when a software company goes under or you switch platforms. It also allows you to view your data on a desktop PC using Access.
    To be fair to Splashdata, they were the first "wallet" vendor to recognise the importance of data portability from the start and provide full import and export routines to CSV, as well as direct import from other proprietary formats. All the major competitors at the time (e.g. eWallet, Codewallet, Flexwallet) refused point blank to do this for several years after; their arrogance is the main reason I'm still using SplashID in preference to those competing products all these years later (the other was Splashdata's concentration on core functionality, rather than obsession with pretty icons, backgrounds and irrelevant eye candy.)
    I will not pay a monthly fee for an app I can purchase outright on another platform.

I will never store my most sensitive data on a server on the Internet like this. I got a bad feeling this will be the type of apps we see on the pre.
    upgrading, paying a monthly fee would suck. can't see that being very popular.

w/ that said, advid user of Splash ID, loooking forward to seeing it on the Pre
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I leave it up to them to have securities in place. But i still wouldn't have client info there. It'd just be personal.

I'm already relying on that with Sprint, google, etc. Heck, i'd trust their security more than i would my firm's.

What i would hestitate to use is wifi in public. Wifi is something i just won't use unless i'm at home or work.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If they get enough people on the live service, I bet we never see a stand alone app - if they don't, then we see a stand alone app.

(just a guess).
    Sounds pretty logical if they truly plan on a cloud service.
    Who knows? If Splash does require you to use their Live service, someone else (RoboForm?) could come along and provide an alternative.

From Palm InfoCenter: http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...live-on-webos/

Update

Mr. Slain has sent us futher clarification on this. Rather than any kind of forcing of SplashID Live on users, what he meant by "leverage" was:

"The "leverage" I mentioned was in answer to your question about the advantages of Palm's approach to the development environment - we're able to get more use out of the existing investment we made in HTML code and Javascript for SplashID Live. Any actual connection to the SplashID Live service from the Pre version of SplashID would be a user option and not a requirement."
    So if you were worried that any new webOS version of SplashID would force you to move your data into the cloud, you can breathe easy.