Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. enjoyingsilence
    What of these items? I've not read any information on it... granted.. it's still early...

I take it, that it's safe to assume the Pre will support HTML email,,, right?

And... what about Push email.. that isn't microsoft based...? Currently, I'm coming to sprint from at&t,, using a blackberry bold... and haven't decided on a phone for sprint.. tho I want the Pre... I'm a mobileMe user (for email only and address book sync [petrified of losing my address book]..).. and I'd like to have my email pushed to the phone... not really concerned with the address book synching OTA.. I can enter those new entries manually on the computer, and they'll be synched back to MobileMe's servers..

Any thoughts on this folks? I know mobileme uses the IDLE command, via IMAP to push email... but will the Pre support this natively? or will we still have to buy an application like chatteremail..?
    I think it is safe to assume that the pre will offer support for HTML email. Nobody knows if they will support IMAP idle or any of the other Chattermail features. It is not safe to assume that an application like Chattermail will be available for the Pre. The author of Chattermail certainly has no plans to write one.

What is it about the Bold you do not like? (or is AT&T the problem for you)?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I want a Seven client on there (SprintMobileMail or whatever its called on sprint) An SMS-based push mail solution is a good alternative for those who do not want to buy into an exchange server.
  4. enjoyingsilence
    Yea figured that chatteremail wouldn't be ported...

If there isn't an alternate email solution (something other than microsoft direct push) offered on the pre, I'll stick with a blackberry...

oh.. AT&T.. they never stop raping me... it's essssppeeeennnsive..
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    oh.. AT&T.. they never stop raping me... it's essssppeeeennnsive..
    Really? We have two lines with data on one and cheapish international calls and it costs us 105 a month. That doesn't seem too bad to me.
    it looks like from some video taken that it has the gmail app on it which would be similar to the one for Blackberry. This is all I use & I love it. Pushed (not instant) email with threading. This is of course for those of you who only use gmail...
    I'd be very disappointed if the Pre does not support push email via IMAP Idle out of the box.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  8. enjoyingsilence
    I loathe gmail... lol..

I'd be dissappointed if it doesn't support IMAP Idle out of the box as well... we shall see

about what I pay on at&t.. 99.99 unlimited minutes + 50 for blackberry and unlimited text.. plus tax.. it's about 180 a month... that's for one line...
    I loathe gmail... lol..

I'd be dissappointed if it doesn't support IMAP Idle out of the box as well... we shall see

about what I pay on at&t.. 99.99 unlimited minutes + 50 for blackberry and unlimited text.. plus tax.. it's about 180 a month... that's for one line...
    Wow you must talk and text a lot. Given the free nights and weekends and free mobile2mobile we have never gone over our 550 minutes a month. I can see that for you the Simply Everything plan would be attractive.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Yea figured that chatteremail wouldn't be ported...
    I does make you wonder why they bought Chatteremail (and hired it's author) if they were going to go with an apparently inferior solution for the Pre.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    I does make you wonder why they bought Chatteremail (and hired it's author) if they were going to go with an apparently inferior solution for the Pre.
    That guy no longer works for Palm, and is back to his old gig. Palm better release a program out of the box that has push email, with IMAP idle, or they will be in huge trouble.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    That guy no longer works for Palm, and is back to his old gig. Palm better release a program out of the box that has push email, with IMAP idle, or they will be in huge trouble.
    Gmail supports IMAP idle and gmail is supported by the device - so... more than likely?
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    The rumors I have hear said that he was not able to make it work on WebOS without causing endless bugs and crashes. Trust me, he was working on something the year+ he was working at Palm. I heard they asked him to leave in December when it was becoming obvious that he was never going to get his WebOS email app stable in time for the launch.

It took him several years to get chatter stable on the Palm OS. Anyone who used any of the early versions will back up what I am saying.

I know he reads these boards and I wish he would clarify what happened. It could of very easily be Palms fault for not giving him the tools and support needed to accomplish the goal. Its all speculation at this point but we know for certain that something went wrong.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I know he reads these boards and I wish he would clarify what happened. It could of very easily be Palms fault for not giving him the tools and support needed to accomplish the goal. Its all speculation at this point but we know for certain that something went wrong.
    Regardless of whether its your reason or not, I'd be willing to bet he can't say.

Anyway, it could just as easily be what he said, that he's disappointed in the direction Palm is going (aka HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $only$ $applications$).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Gmail supports IMAP idle and gmail is supported by the device - so... more than likely?
    Plenty of devices and email programs support GMail without supporting IMAP IDLE, the IPhone would be one example and the Backberry might be another.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The rumors I have hear said that he was not able to make it work on WebOS without causing endless bugs and crashes. Trust me, he was working on something the year+ he was working at Palm. I heard they asked him to leave in December when it was becoming obvious that he was never going to get his WebOS email app stable in time for the launch.
    Where exactly did you hear these rumors?
    This are some serious allegations! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    I want a Seven client on there (SprintMobileMail or whatever its called on sprint) An SMS-based push mail solution is a good alternative for those who do not want to buy into an exchange server.
    I concur.
    Hi, there.

That rumor is utter nonsense; perhaps even libelous, depending on the source. Due to NDA's and other agreements, I can't say too much about Palm. However, I will say the following:

1) ChatterEmail was NEVER going to be ported to the new OS. All of the work I did as an employee of Palm was original (i.e. from scratch).

2) I resigned in October, not December, at which time I gave up a great deal of future compensation. I did so because I no longer enjoyed working at the company. The direction of the OS had nothing whatever to do with my decision (indeed, I had pushed very hard for what is now called webOS).

3) People need to remember that a LOT has changed at Palm since I became an employee, including major changes to senior management. Because of this, hypotheticals like "why did Palm do X if later they did Y" really aren't meaningful.

4) The idea that it took years to make ChatterEmail stable on the PalmOS is kind of peculiar, no? After all, PalmOS itself was never completely stable, right?

4) I am working on a fabulous new email client for Android at this point (since email is still in my blood). Anybody here with a G1 is welcome to contact me at marc@androidmail.com.

Best to all,

Marc

p.s. I wish I could say a bunch more about Palm, but that will have to wait until November, 2009... at which time, nobody will likely care!
    I should also say that the rumors about what the Pre will and won't support "out of the box" strike me as having no basis in fact.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 01/19/2009 at 08:45 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast