1.    #1  
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid6825152001

Scroll to about 8 minutes in, 3:20 left.

"You can plug in the cable, and it will let you know whether or not you wanna... choose whether or not you want to just charge, you want to do media sync, or if you want this to go into USB drive mode."

This is the first I've heard of any media sync type mode, and I have to say that's great, hopefully it'll work just as well as iTunes. (I hate iTunes in general, but Microsoft for example could stand to learn a few things about an easy media sync setup from it... Windows Media Player is powerful since it can transcode on the fly, but its not a good interface for it.)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid6825152001

Scroll to about 8 minutes in, 3:20 left.

"You can plug in the cable, and it will let you know whether or not you wanna... choose whether or not you want to just charge, you want to do media sync, or if you want this to go into USB drive mode."

This is the first I've heard of any media sync type mode, and I have to say that's great, hopefully it'll work just as well as iTunes. (I hate iTunes in general, but Microsoft for example could stand to learn a few things about an easy media sync setup from it... Windows Media Player is powerful since it can transcode on the fly, but its not a good interface for it.)
    I generally HATE media sync of any kind. It's great for people who don't have a clue and just want it to work for them (go buy an Apple) but I like CONTROL over my devices, and I'm quite happy copying whatever I want onto my phone. As long as there is the option to turn off the nanny-sync system and just let me copy files that the thing will play, I'll be happy.

I tried iTunes, and I hated it so much I got rid of my iPod. I just can't seem to like anything Apple, as hard as I try.

Oh, and lastly...they better have an XP X64 USB driver. I've about had it with my 755P and no USB connectivity.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
  3.    #3  
    Or, its great for people who have huge collections of music, and want to sync up certain albums without having to select the right number of songs from an album, etc.

I mean do I really want to go through through 10,000 or so files in Explorer to find the song I want, or do I want to be able to drill down by picking the album out from its art in Media Player to find it?
    I totally disagree. Using itunes is so much more of an elegant solution then dragging files. Also, not everybody is as technically savvy as others here. When I plug in my iPhone via usb, itunes automatically launches and syncs. Cant beat that. I'm sure RIM noticed this too. Their new Blackberrys sync with itunes.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Or, its great for people who have huge collections of music, and want to sync up certain albums without having to select the right number of songs from an album, etc.

I mean do I really want to go through through 10,000 or so files in Explorer to find the song I want, or do I want to be able to drill down by picking the album out from its art in Media Player to find it?
    Precisely. I have a huge music collection (literally thousands of CD's and records) and I have digitized a lot of my vinyl. I have over 60 gigs of MP3's - I don't want to sync my entire library to my device.

I don't mean it shouldn't have sync capability - just that the user shouldn't be forced into it as the only option.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I'm assuming that WMP11 is going to be the sync method of choice here. Not as good as some others, but you could do a lot worse. I personally find it utterly bizarre that you think hand-copying files is a better solution than using good sync software, though.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    I'm assuming that WMP11 is going to be the sync method of choice here. Not as good as some others, but you could do a lot worse. I personally find it utterly bizarre that you think hand-copying files is a better solution than using good sync software, though.

But if you've got the choice to do it your way and he's got the choice to do it his way - who loses out?
    Would be nicer if it was like my Zune. whenever I make changes it wirelessly and automatically syncs. with the wifi you'd think you wouldn't need a cable.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Would be nicer if it was like my Zune. whenever I make changes it wirelessly and automatically syncs. with the wifi you'd think you wouldn't need a cable.
    Haven't you been one of the more vocal people about losing the desktop sync? I don't understand why you like syncing to the cloud in this application, but not with your PIM. My guess is Palm decided there is too much data involved to do this with media.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Haven't you been one of the more vocal people about losing the desktop sync? I don't understand why you like syncing to the cloud in this application, but not with your PIM. My guess is Palm decided there is too much data involved to do this with media.
    By wireless, I think he means wi-fi to the desktop.
    There is a real cool free program called DoubleTwist that will allow you to sync Itunes to any USB Mass Storage device such as a memory card and the Palm Pre.

It works really good in that you can sync your whole library or just certain songs or just certain play lists and all the songs it contains. For example I have a "Smart" playlist that contains all my songs that are 4 and 5 stars (my favorite songs). That is the list that I sync with my microSD card for my Treo800w. It contains about 5gb of music which is about right for my 8gb micro sd card.

DoubleTwist is the product that Dieter alluded to in his answers to questions for Media syncing.

Another really cool feature of doubletwist is that it will unlock your protected .aac files and make a unprotected .mp3 copy of them.

It also has all kinds of facebook features that I am too old to understand.
    http://www.doubletwist.com/
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    yes sir. my zune sits charged in its speaker dock and syncs via my wireless network.

Though if the Pre goes down, you're SOL on your tunes. You can restore your PIM info via OTA, but you'll have to wait till you get back home to get your music back since there's no card.

I wouldn't mind losing the slot if it had USB host capabilities. that would open up so many possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    By wireless, I think he means wi-fi to the desktop.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Zune (and the usual "it sucks!" from people who's never actually used one ).

Would you recommend one Crogs?
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It works really good in that you can sync your whole library or just certain songs or just certain play lists and all the songs it contains. For example I have a "Smart" playlist that contains all my songs that are 4 and 5 stars (my favorite songs). That is the list that I sync with my microSD card for my Treo800w. It contains about 5gb of music which is about right for my 8gb micro sd card.
    Sounds good, but does it really sync? I mean is it a genuinely two-way thing - will it get tracks you've bought using (and downloaded direct onto) the phone? Having to sort through the SD card and drag off every purchase doesn't sound like much fun.
    I like my 80gb zune a lot, and the zune software works really well. the touch sensitive d-pad makes navigation simple, and it will do that rolling scroll with a swipe of it. I'm not one for pay services, but if you are, I think it's $15/mo for unlimited access and downloading, and you get p
    ownership of 5 songs (think it's 5) per month. So if you used the service for a year you would own 60 songs (drm free) outright if you stopped using the service. that has it all over itunes. It's definitel worth checking out. The new one is 160gb I believe? I don't do video but have 40+ gigs of music so far. With my netbook, I doubt I ever would use it for video. But 160 gigs would keep the audio & video crowd satiated for quite awhile. It'll play games if you're bored. Haven't ventured there yet. But with that screen and the d-pad, the could be pretty good. I like the sound quality through my denon buds, and the Altec sound dock is great for light travel. Build quality on the Zune is top notch as well.

I've gotten the 'it sucks' to until they play with it or look at the zune software. It's all come a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Zune (and the usual "it sucks!" from people who's never actually used one ).

Would you recommend one Crogs?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I like my 80gb zune a lot, and the zune software works really well. the touch sensitive d-pad makes navigation simple, and it will do that rolling scroll with a swipe of it. I'm not one for pay services, but if you are, I think it's $15/mo for unlimited access and downloading, and you get p
    ownership of 5 songs (think it's 5) per month. So if you used the service for a year you would own 60 songs (drm free) outright if you stopped using the service. that has it all over itunes. It's definitel worth checking out. The new one is 160gb I believe? I don't do video but have 40+ gigs of music so far. With my netbook, I doubt I ever would use it for video. But 160 gigs would keep the audio & video crowd satiated for quite awhile. It'll play games if you're bored. Haven't ventured there yet. But with that screen and the d-pad, the could be pretty good. I like the sound quality through my denon buds, and the Altec sound dock is great for light travel. Build quality on the Zune is top notch as well.

I've gotten the 'it sucks' to until they play with it or look at the zune software. It's all come a long way.

160 gig of audio only? My goodness, how many songs is that?

That whole nasty business of every 30 gig zune crashing a few weeks ago would have me scared off of the zune
    Last edited by mobileman; 01/16/2009 at 02:32 PM.