webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Synergy and Synchronization > Best Cloud-Based PIM?
Best Cloud-Based PIM?

Old 01/15/2009, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am taking Dieter's advice and moving to a cloud-based PIM before the Pre release... Suggestions for the best cloud-based PIM? I am using Outlook synced to 800w. Have used Plam Desktop / Angendus in the past.
khazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm also thinking about checking out cloud base PIM option before the Pre is released. I would think Google would be a good place to start with.
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
cgk

So - do you want free or paid for?

The other thing is - many of us think that palm are going to provide a free basic PIM service online - that's a total guess but something to bear in mind.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
So - do you want free or paid for?

The other thing is - many of us think that palm are going to provide a free basic PIM service online - that's a total guess but something to bear in mind.

I would be very surprised if Palm offered a FREE service. The infrastructure and support needed for this would be very expensive. Its more likely that there will be a monthly or yearly fee.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
I would be very surprised if Palm offered a FREE service. The infrastructure and support needed for this would be very expensive. Its more likely that there will be a monthly or yearly fee.
Well the guess that we have made is this - It's difficult to make a value proposition ("this is what you get out of this") on email, people will not (generally) pay for it, so we are guessing that Palm will provide the basics for free (ad-based?) and charge for the extras or a premium version.

Or it might be that they provide email or free and charge for PIM.

Or we could all be entirely wrong and in the box is Palm desktop 2009
Old 01/15/2009, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazelwood View Post
I am taking Dieter's advice and moving to a cloud-based PIM before the Pre release... Suggestions for the best cloud-based PIM? I am using Outlook synced to 800w. Have used Plam Desktop / Angendus in the past.
The obvious choice for you would be MS exchange. It will work perfectly with outlook and push email (and other PIM updates) to your 800W.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
The obvious choice for you would be MS exchange. It will work perfectly with outlook and push email (and other PIM updates) to your 800W.
More specifically there are plenty of hosted exchange services available. A very popular one is Mail2Web (http://live.mail2web.com/). They offer different levels of accounts at different prices, including a free limited version.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was looking at Backpackit and pimonline.com. Pimonline is free. The only problem with many of these is what to do with all of my current PIM data.

If Palm doesn't do a web based version of Palm Desktop, maybe a third party developer could do it, with a way to import all of our current PIM data to it. I would pay for that, as it would make my life so much easier.
daveandcori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
ame

My thought on whether it would be free or not....it's through Sprint and will likely require a data plan. If you are paying for the phone, and the service, why would it not be included?
ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ame View Post
My thought on whether it would be free or not....it's through Sprint and will likely require a data plan. If you are paying for the phone, and the service, why would it not be included?
Because you phone contract is with spirit - it's not with palm. If palm offered a online desktop, it's them who makes the capital expenditure on the infrastructure needed to run the cloud services - it has to be paid for somehow.
Old 01/15/2009, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcori View Post
I was looking at Backpackit and pimonline.com. Pimonline is free. The only problem with many of these is what to do with all of my current PIM data.

If Palm doesn't do a web based version of Palm Desktop, maybe a third party developer could do it, with a way to import all of our current PIM data to it. I would pay for that, as it would make my life so much easier.
Its not enough to use a web based PIM, you also need to keep the phone in sync with that data.

BTW Its pretty easy to get your PIM data out of Palm Desktop if you switch to Outlook. You can either sync your PalmOS device too Outlook (which is what I would do) or use a program from Chapura which imprort PalmDesktop data into Outlook. Once the data is in Outlook it should be fairly easy to get it into the cloud.
Old 01/15/2009, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Its not enough to use a web based PIM, you also need to keep the phone in sync with that data.

BTW Its pretty easy to get your PIM data out of Palm Desktop if you switch to Outlook. You can either sync your PalmOS device too Outlook (which is what I would do) or use a program from Chapura which imprort PalmDesktop data into Outlook. Once the data is in Outlook it should be fairly easy to get it into the cloud.
How well does it merge Memos? Memos are my lifeblood. I use them for a million different things (in fact, I have over 1600 memos). The notes function on Outlook isn't that great.

Plus, where can I get a hosted version of outlook? will all of this work on a pc based version?

Thanks!
Old 01/15/2009, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Plus, where can I get a hosted version of outlook? will all of this work on a pc based version?

Thanks!
If you get hosted outlook (which is exchange), the desktop client is usually thrown in.
Old 01/15/2009, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
How well does it merge Memos? Memos are my lifeblood. I use them for a million different things (in fact, I have over 1600 memos). The notes function on Outlook isn't that great.

Thanks!
I don't have any issues with Outlook's memos but I don't have 1600 of them. You can transfer your data to a standalone PC based Outlook or one connected to an exchange server. If you want the data on the Pre, you will either want the hosted exchange or some other program to upload the data from outlook to some other server such as google (software already exists to sync the google calendar with Outlook).
Old 01/15/2009, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what is keeping me from switching to cloud based PIM right now. I have no way to add events and tasks to online PIM using my 800w without opening a browser. This will all be easy with the Pre (or will it?), but right now I'm stuck with Outlook as my ONE combined calendar/task source.

That does raise a question in my mind. The demonstration showed the pre had multiple sources of calendar data. But can you really ADD an event to your google calendar? Or are you just subscribing to an ical feed of your google calendar to VIEW it and you can only add an event to your MyPalm calendar?
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

I use ScheduleWorld.com as my cloud. I'm not a fan of it's web interface but it supports the open SyncML protocol so I can get clients that sync with just about anything. It has built-in support for syncing with Google services.

I like syncing my 700p with it and then having my Work outlook sync with it too (using Funambol).
GeneralZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have web based outlook through work, but I don't want to use that for my personal stuff for a variety of reasons. I am playing with Google Calendar, Apps, and iGoogle now. If it works out - great. I just need to sync everything to it somehow.

Are there any hosted exchange/outlook services that anyone can sign up for?
Old 01/15/2009, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm guessing notes / Memos is going to be a problem with the Pre. Currently I dont think Google Notes can be synced and Exchange does not sync notes.

Evernote is a cloud based Notes solution that syncs perfectly with Windows Mobile and the Iphone. I emailed them about the Pre and they said that they will have a client ready for the launch of the Pre. I really like Evernote, the desktop software is really incredible and mobile software is pretty good. Might be worth checking out.
Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
R.I.P Palm 1996-2011

Last edited by rc46; 01/15/2009 at 01:36 PM.
RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
cgk

I use evernote as well - it's just a bit of a pain in the arse that exchange doesn't do notes.
Old 01/15/2009, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

This is going to take getting used to. I refuse to run Outlook and certainly won't install Exchange at home - work only gives access to BB users.

I'm not a big cloud user and don't even allow online webmail sites to keep my contact! I just don't have any faith for what's not in my control.... <sigh>... It's tough being (in computer years) old sometimes. I tried Facebook when I created accounts for my kids, but I don't want to share my old partying pictures or make a page of buttons/bling. I don't even see a reason to let old friends locate me. OK, time to research this more.
Scott_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0