Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree about Evernote. It is a very good solution (and free). The hardest part was retraining myself to use a non-outlook based notes program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    That's what is keeping me from switching to cloud based PIM right now. I have no way to add events and tasks to online PIM using my 800w without opening a browser.
    Actually your native PIM applications on the 800w will sync over the air today with google or Outlook (through exchange). I switched over to cloud based syncing through Google on my 800w and I really like. I'm using Goosync and it is really nice to not have to connect to my PC any longer.

Here is a good article that explains the current options for WM cloud based syncing.
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...ation_and.html
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3. ame
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because you phone contract is with spirit - it's not with palm. If palm offered a online desktop, it's them who makes the capital expenditure on the infrastructure needed to run the cloud services - it has to be paid for somehow.
    But it's not out of the question for Sprint/Service Provider du Jour to do the hosting of said cloud.
    good thread - i too might take Dieter's advice (and CGK who has been very active in these threads, and has oftered alot of advice on the Sync process)

Thinking aboiut Google as the cloud.
    Cool apps
    Failry popular
    Backed by a monster company
    Free

to Sync proablly Goosync (sp?) for now w/ Centro. I;m guessing this will be part of the pre.

Though i have to say - not looking forward to moving my data from one pIM to another. not at all.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Maybe I missed it in the keynote, but did Palm say the pre will work with Google Calendar and Tasks? Is google sync supported? I know activesync is, but I dont remember anything about Google (besides gmail).
    I don't remember either - I thought the new sync system was mentioned to work with all kinds of email systems and web sites.

I really wish I was a programmer - I would develop a web based version of Palm Desktop that would sync with the Pre.

Did anyone use myPalm when it was out? Was it a web based PIM?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Maybe I missed it in the keynote, but did Palm say the pre will work with Google Calendar and Tasks? Is google sync supported? I know activesync is, but I dont remember anything about Google (besides gmail).
    Palm's site says it works with google Calendar and it was also shown in the demo - tasks? dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Palm's site says it works with google Calendar and it was also shown in the demo - tasks? dunno.
    Thanks. Just checked it out. I wonder if the pre polls that data at a set interval, or are changes pushed?
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Thanks. Just checked it out. I wonder if the pre polls that data at a set interval, or are changes pushed?

Well if you have contacts who are using the gmail chat client or facebook, and you are looking at the contact, it will tell you if they are currently online - so it has to be pretty constant.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    More specifically there are plenty of hosted exchange services available. A very popular one is Mail2Web (http://live.mail2web.com/). They offer different levels of accounts at different prices, including a free limited version.
    I just signed up for it, and I'm totally blown away. This is _exactly_ what I've been looking for to keep our contacts and calendar online in a nice, cross-phone-platform fashion. The lack of desktop sync is annoying, but, ultimately, I can sync our phones to Outlook in a pinch.

Thanks for recommending it!
    Great thread... really got me thinking about a solution for my outlook syncing once the Pre comes out and I no undoubtedly end up buying it. My situation is that I currently sync my Treo 755p directly with Outlook. Basically all my contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, and email gets synced through that. I absolutely have no desire to change to a google solution unless there are 2 criteria met: 1) There is a desktop app that I can run which includes all the same features as outlook, and 2) all the data needs to be stored locally. Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but dangit I don't trust companies with my data. yes, even the "do no evil" people at google. I use exchange at work, but I've never set it up myself and really don't know how its setup to work. If I was to install exchange on my computer, would I be able to access all my outlook data through my Treo without syncing? If don't have an internet connection, would that mean all my contacts, calendar, tasks, etc would not be accessible? Any info would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    I just signed up for it, and I'm totally blown away. This is _exactly_ what I've been looking for to keep our contacts and calendar online in a nice, cross-phone-platform fashion. The lack of desktop sync is annoying, but, ultimately, I can sync our phones to Outlook in a pinch.

Thanks for recommending it!

Actually, you can have you outlook client sync with this service. It might not be offered with the free version, but I know you can do it.
    Last edited by mobileman; 01/15/2009 at 04:07 PM.
    I like the idea of google.
    And the Pre Cache's info so it supposedly will still be accessable offline via Pre.

I just wish Google Provided a Destop App,
    so I wouldn't have to be online to have the info available.
    IMO, hold tight to see what Palm offers/packages with the Pre before you jump on some cloud solution. We may be surprised and there's no sense f*****g up your PIM data experimenting before it's necessary.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm with Gekko. It's tempting to buy into something like GooSync, but I'd hate to do that and then be given a free or discounted account from Palm. I'm going to see what the release brings.
    Yahoo is another choice.
    It Does Mail, Tasks, Notes, Calendar, Contacts..........
    The new graphical stuff looks really good.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    IMO, hold tight to see what Palm offers/packages with the Pre before you jump on some cloud solution. We may be surprised and there's no sense f*****g up your PIM data experimenting before it's necessary.
    Some of us need a cross-platform solution - not everyone in my family is going to be rocking a Pre. It makes sense to explore early. FWIW, if there was some magical cloud that this was all going to live on, I'm thinking Palm would have mentioned it at the press conference, because that's a _huge feature_.

There is also the matter that not all of us want to hand Palm all of our PIM information...
    thinking about and exploring is one thing. jumping into the deep end is another.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I just watched the CES video again and I have concerns about jumping on a PIM online solution right now. First of all, I noticed that the calendars included a MyPalm category, a Google category, a Palm category, and a Facebook category. The only category with more than one calendar in it was the Google category. I suspect that the Pre will only subscribe to a Google or Facebook calendar via an ical link, and that you will not be able to create events in a Google or Facebook calendar on the Pre without opening a browser. I suspect that the Palm category is on the phone and only on the phone, and that the MyPalm category is the only cloud-based calendar that is fully accessible on the Pre through the calendar application.

I could be wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up about creating Live or Google calendar events without a browser. I want full functionality in the Calendar app and I might only get that through a MyPalm account, if that's what they're providing.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    thinking about and exploring is one thing. jumping into the deep end is another.

It's not like it's complex. This is how I got set-up on exchange.

1) I exported my data file from outlook

2) I uploaded it to exchange

3) I put the passwords in my phone.

4) I added my exchange account to my desktop client

em.. that's it - it took about 25 minutes.

Google is free - you don't like it, stop using it and go back to the old way of doing it. It's not like Pac-man comes down and eats palm desktop.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast