Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to article in PC MAG:

"The Pre won't come with desktop software. You hook it up to a PC or Mac with a micro USB cable to transfer music or video files, or to use the phone as a modem. Palm will offer some way to get data from Outlook, Palm Desktop, or older Palm devices into the Pre, reps said."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338901,00.asp

I guess it remains to be seen how it will if so, but all hope is not lost yet!
    I think that this only means that Palm will provide you a mechanism to get your current PIM data into the Pre on a one-off basis. Any synching/backing up will have to be done by the PC using the Pre's ability to look like a USB drive.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    For PIM - It will be desktop >>>> cloud >>>> pre, it will not be desktop >>> pre - I'll put money on it.
  4.    #4  
    That would be fine for me!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I like the "Cloud" concept as it makes sharing calendars much easier. But, I have 12+ years of data on my Outlook (started on Palm Desktop), and many cloud calendars, like Google Calendar, have storage limitations. I "exceed my quota" when trying to sync with the Google Calendar. I could delete old events, but on occasions I will search my old events for some needed data.

Palm will probably offer its own cloud calendar. Will there be a data quota? Will they offer it for free? Doubtful. Apple's MobileMe is $99 per year. So, that essentially adds another $8.25 to your monthly cell phone bill. I like the Pre, but will my cell phone monthly costs go up substantially? This is one of the main reasons that I have not purchased an iPhone and stayed with Sprint (for 10 years). I don't have a great plan, but it is much more reasonable than AT&T. If buying the Pre increases my monthly cell bill by more than 10-20% I probably would not take the plunge.

Sometimes it's one step forward and 1.5 steps back.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Schmid View Post
    I like the "Cloud" concept as it makes sharing calendars much easier. But, I have 12+ years of data on my Outlook (started on Palm Desktop), and many cloud calendars, like Google Calendar, have storage limitations.
    I hear this a lot on here - what are people doing with 12 years worth of PIM information? I'm genuinely curious.
    in my case: looking back at some of my business trip to see which hotel I stayed in during an inspection. Usually you ask the previous person there but they aren't always around for one reason or another. Some of thes eplaces we visit are small enough that you have to stay in the mom and pop places to get on site with in a 30 minute drive (rather than the 90 minute drive). Most of us can usually remember the oddball hotel's condition and appearance but rarely do any of us remember the actual name. It's also handy to track down a name you recognize but they have moved through 2 or 3 different companies since you saw them last which was 5 years ago.

Could most really care about the dinner you had scheduled with someone? Probably not. But archive deleting nukes it all so I'd rather keep it all than lose the helpful information even if I'm only digging into it once or twice a quarter.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    in my case: looking back at some of my business trip to see which hotel I stayed in during an inspection. Usually you ask the previous person there but they aren't always around for one reason or another. Some of thes eplaces we visit are small enough that you have to stay in the mom and pop places to get on site with in a 30 minute drive (rather than the 90 minute drive). Most of us can usually remember the oddball hotel's condition and appearance but rarely do any of us remember the actual name. It's also handy to track down a name you recognize but they have moved through 2 or 3 different companies since you saw them last which was 5 years ago.

Could most really care about the dinner you had scheduled with someone? Probably not. But archive deleting nukes it all so I'd rather keep it all than lose the helpful information even if I'm only digging into it once or twice a quarter.

Thanks for that, useful to know. I ask because while I work with mobile technology, I'm not a technologist, my core expertise is social - information seeking behaviour - how they find it, use it, store it, make sense of it etc.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    .. what are people doing with 12 years worth of PIM information?
    I've been using Palm PDAs since they first came out. I purge 90+% of entries for each month as the next one begins, but info I feel is worthy of keeping stays on "permanently".

With the amount of cleaning I do I'm not expecting data or space limitation issues, it's just that I'm not throwing the large amount of extremely sensitive data out in the cloud in hope that it never gets hacked. I want removable media and local encrypted backups/sync that remain my responsibility to protect. I trust myself and my methods - I do not trust the cloud.

Clouds can be pretty, but those distant puffs are also the stewing pot for many unpleasant natural disasters!
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    LOL - I've just had a look my calendar information goes back eight years.
    I hear this a lot on here - what are people doing with 12 years worth of PIM information? I'm genuinely curious.
    I've got about 450 (Contacts). I could probably delete 50 without much thought. But one of the advantages of keeping this kind of data in a database is the historical perspective. Just because I don't contact someone today, doesn't mean I won't want to look them up next month, or next year. The ability to answer questions like "Who was that guy I talked to about the wireless security software last year?" or "What was the number of that good looking soccer mom from my son's team last spring?" can be invaluable, even if I haven't talked to the person recently. - meyerweb

"Ok a little perspective here. For quite a few years now these little devices have been with me everywhere I go. Theyve saved my bacon on more than one occasion and have the outline of my life. My contacts contain my associates and friends, my calendar shows the outline of days gone by and days to come, my notes contain simple thoughts to grand ideas, and it even holds pictures that tell thousands of stories. These little devices have been indispensable for some and almost like a friend to others. Though it is simply an electronics device devoid of thought and personality it has over the years been the bearer of so much information about who we are and who we want to be. With the above thoughts in mind it is no wonder weve become attached to the way we view this information. Many of us feel a loyalty to Palm and expect a certain amount of mutual respect and trust when it comes to our devices design. I have a feeling many of us feel they have betrayed and feel that trust has been abused. This is why many of us are so vocal. Perspective is a necessary vision and change is always good, but can be unpleasant at times, but this is only an electronics device. Well still be the same people with the same plans, associates, and friends whether this device is a dud or not." - superdork
  12.    #12  
    worthy being here too:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...html?tag=mncol

There may be a Pre in my future after all...
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    worthy being here too:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...html?tag=mncol

There may be a Pre in my future after all...
    Interesting. Thanks for that.

I think it would be prudent for Palm to continue to offer some type of sync to personal computers. It's one of the major things that differentiates them from the pack. It also makes the phone that much more of a business device.
    I;m not at my home PC, but i'd bet i have 10 years of data in there. I know i have hundreds of contacts - alot ar eout of date. But like Gekko mentioned, it;s a history for me, and i want that availble. with the low cost of ram, it's easy to keep all that data around anyway.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I'm in orthopedic sales. I have Calendar data dating back 10+ years of all the cases I've done. If questions arise about when was this patient done or what's in this patient, it's easy to access. Agendus has made it even easier because I can link it to which doc did the case. So I can go into contacts, choose a doc and see every case he did since I started keeping track. I also have over 1200 contacts as well including every doc and resident I've dealt with as well as the various staff in all the hospitals I call on. Many of those records have a lot of detailed info since I'm horrible at remembering details about so many people.

Besides that, why should I have to pay for basic PIM and syncing functionality when I haven't ever since I owned a Palm. I want to update info on my laptop whenever or wherever it's convenient. And that means places I'm stuck without an internect connection which takes the online calendars out of the picture, size limitations not withstanding. I'm not paying for exchange. I don't think anyone in my small company will care to pay for exchange. They're not tech savvy at all. One guy couldn't figure out how to get the photos off of his card when it failed multiple times trying to get sent in a text message.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Can you go from cloud>>>>desktop especially on multiple computers? Can you make new entries on the desktop and hence to cloud and then Pre?

B B
    hey bb. how goes it? I think the one scenario is you have on online pim so it doesn't matter what desktop you're on. Any entries made would be done in the cloud or on the net and then automatically get synced to your Pre. Not sure how automatic exchange is, but if your'e using outlook, I don't know if exchange can sync up to the same user's outlook on another computer (like if you have a desktop and laptop with the same info). The Pre is pulling that info from the cloud. Not sure if exchange can push to multiple computers that way. Though I don't know if you're asking about your info to be the same on multiple computers or multiple people's info on different computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Can you go from cloud>>>>desktop especially on multiple computers? Can you make new entries on the desktop and hence to cloud and then Pre?

B B
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    subscription post
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    with 1500+ posts you don't know you can just click on "thread tools" at the top of the thread and click on "subscribe to thread" instead of posting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    subscription post
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have read (don't remember where - there's SO much stuff out there about the Pre right now) that a Palm rep at CES said that the Pre will definitely have the ability to import contacts/datebooks from existing Palm desktops. I haven't seen mentioned anywhere just how that would be accomplished.

I'm considering setting up an Exchange server that my and my wife's Outlook can talk to, so that my (future) Pre can sync with that - just to keep from changing TOO much of my world.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast