Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    people aren't worried about importing. people are worried about continually being able to sync from palm desktop to the pre without relying on the cloud be it through outlook/exchange (added expense for many) or an online PIM of some sort which could has the possibility of additional cost but also would be dependent upon having an internet and/or data connection. People also worry about the migration to another PIM and how well everything will map over along with all the added time to fix everything that didn't map properly.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMacLean View Post
    I have read (don't remember where - there's SO much stuff out there about the Pre right now) that a Palm rep at CES said that the Pre will definitely have the ability to import contacts/datebooks from existing Palm desktops. I haven't seen mentioned anywhere just how that would be accomplished.

I'm considering setting up an Exchange server that my and my wife's Outlook can talk to, so that my (future) Pre can sync with that - just to keep from changing TOO much of my world.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    people aren't worried about importing. people are worried about continually being able to sync from palm desktop to the pre without relying on the cloud be it through outlook/exchange (added expense for many) or an online PIM of some sort which could has the possibility of additional cost but also would be dependent upon having an internet and/or data connection. People also worry about the migration to another PIM and how well everything will map over along with all the added time to fix everything that didn't map properly.
    It is not dependent on an Internet data connection - data is cached locally on the phone - an excerpt from this interview:

There's also a database and file storage that allows you to take data from the internet connection and store it locally so when you're browsing your contacts, for example, you're interacting with an application that's local to the phone, with interface elements that are local to the phone and with contacts that are actually sitting on the phone.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
    all well and great from the Pre. you're still wrong though since outlook requires exchange and an internet connection, and it's a bit obvious you need one if you're using a web based pim. Not to mention restoring all your files, music, docs and such if you need to restore for some reason.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    . Not to mention restoring all your files, music, docs and such if you need to restore for some reason.
    Which would be done via mass storage model - nobody is going to restore 8gb over a carrier network over the air - PIM information yes, it's trivial but not files.
    People also worry about the migration to another PIM and how well everything will map over along with all the added time to fix everything that didn't map properly.
    Migration from PalmDesktop to Outlook/Exchange is easy. Many PalmOS users already sync with Outlook/Exchange instead of PalmDesktop.
    many complain about the mapping to outlook or other PIMS, not that it's difficult to do. It's cleaning up after the migration. I've used outlook temporarily when trying bb's. so no foolin' people use it.

and of course you're not going to be able to backup or restore 8 gigs of info OTA. Was more of a point of needing card backup and not relying solely on the cloud.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    "Palm will offer some way to get data from Outlook, Palm Desktop, or older Palm devices into the Pre, reps said."
    Given that you can currently send data via Bluetooth from one device to another, I should hope you can use that approach to send data from a Garnet device to a Pre. I've actually found that that approach helped when transferring data from an old device (with data corruption issues) to a new one--especially sending a category at a time. Here's hoping that's still feasible. I have data (mostly memos) on multiple devices and don't sync all of them. Plus I have some old sync profiles (for Palm Desktop) still on my laptop.
    I have the following PIM & Email:

* 27000+ emails that are consolidated from 7 email accounts. Lots of quotes and contracts.
    * 2500+ contacts. Lots of vender contacts.
    * Calendar & task data over many years.
    * I do not use notes. I use tasks with a catagory named "notes" based on the notes do not sync to Windows Mobile devices like Blackberry.

I have all email accounts forwarded to a hosted exchange account with Sherweb.

I have used Blackberry(s) and Windows Mobile(s) like the 7280, 7100, Moto Q, Treo 750, iMate 8502 and now use the HP iPaq 910.

If I can continue with Exchange on the Pre I am so looking forward to this!

Regards
    graylion
  9. afr
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I hear this a lot on here - what are people doing with 12 years worth of PIM information? I'm genuinely curious.
    Not all of my Palm stuff is contact or appointment based. I've had Palm apps for years for cycling/training logs, daily journaling, Pocket Quicken, music inventory (vinyl and cd), etc. These are the apps that the Apple store is just starting to sell and which may be a mixed blessing for them in the end (installed base is always a mixed blessing).

The e-mail client, contacts, calendar, etc. apps seem to be the ones that are easiest to migrate to a cloud-based format, and seem to be the ones that most developers care about, and that will always be targeted as "useful" by smartphone manufacturers.

However, there are some things that just don't lend themselves to cloud computing, either due to the sensitivity of the data (medical, financial, customer info.) or the fact that there is probably not a large demand for the functionality provided. For years Palm users and developers have thrived on a micro-development model where small developers could put out a niche product pretty easily and cheaply and make, if not a good living, at least egg and beer money. The new computing methods and platforms don't appear to be courting that kind of synergy. More to the point, new smartphone customers don't seem to really care as much for these smaller apps as the old Palm afficionados.

That said...I may have to give up having my custom apps on my smartphone since many of the software writers who supplied apps for the Palms probably won't be jumping to cloud computing. Oh, well, I always did like the feel of a pen on paper anyway.
    I think you're jumping the gun. If a company like CompanionLink can create a desktop sync program, then why can't other companies create programs that will sync to your PC. Not every company has the resources to be able to sync everyone's data via the cloud. As more of the Pre develops, it doesn't seem like the cloud will be the only way the Pre will communicate. It does seem that if you choose to go the cloud route, it will do it intuitively and seamlessly. Or at least that seems to be their goal.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I definitely want a traditional Sync-Over-USB-To-Outlook solution.

No Exchange. No Cloud.

My company provides Exchange only for Blackberry devices and no WiFi allowed. Sync locally to Outlook over a USB wire is the only solution I can see.
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post

No Exchange. No Cloud.

My company provides Exchange only for Blackberry devices and no WiFi allowed. Sync locally to Outlook over a USB wire is the only solution I can see.
    So far, then, it sounds like CompanionLink is your best bet for work. Of course, if you want to sync personal information through the cloud, you can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    So far, then, it sounds like CompanionLink is your best bet for work. Of course, if you want to sync personal information through the cloud, you can do that.
    I'd be OK with buying a 3rd party solution for PIM sync, but if this is a general issue, with most apps only providing Cloud sync (and it sure sounds like it right now) then this still might be a problem.

Here are the old PalmOS programs that I would want to carry forward (or equivalent competing apps) with over-the-wire-sync capability on the Pre:
    1. SplashID
    2. SplashMoney
    3. Natara DayNotez (journal)
    4. Natara Bonsai (outliner)
    5. Documents To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post

No Exchange. No Cloud.

You might be able to Bluetooth sync with the Pre, like I currently do with my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    You might be able to Bluetooth sync with the Pre, like I currently do with my Treo.
    Let's hope you can. But someone (Pocket Mirror or someone else) will have to come up with the equivalent to a hotsync mgr/conduits to make it work I guess.

All I want is to sync wirelessly with my Laptop.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  16. afr
    I think you're jumping the gun. If a company like CompanionLink can create a desktop sync program, then why can't other companies create programs that will sync to your PC. Not every company has the resources to be able to sync everyone's data via the cloud. As more of the Pre develops, it doesn't seem like the cloud will be the only way the Pre will communicate. It does seem that if you choose to go the cloud route, it will do it intuitively and seamlessly. Or at least that seems to be their goal.
    I guess the point I should have made in my original post is that I've been a Palm user far longer than I've been a Palm smartphone user. Many of the apps that are running on my Centro are pretty old legacy apps developed for non-phone capable Palms or Handsprings years ago, for which conduits were custom written by their developer. These legacy app developers originally put in the effort to hook into the Hotsync architecture, and some still take the time to update their desktop and or handheld product. But I'm pretty sure that if a generic conduit developer were to jump in to take the place of Hotsync, some of my old apps would probably go by the wayside since they haven't been updated. They would definitely have to be updated in order to run on the Pre, much less to hook into a new conduit architecture.

In point of fact, it is the software running on the Palm, not the phone capability of the Centro, that has kept me in the Palm camp all these years. It's just been so useful to me, I've really never seen the need to go to any other platform. That said...I'm not sure there is any real benefit to me to keep using software that is growing more obsolete by the month. I think the handwriting is on the wall with the coming of the Pre and other smartphones. It's time to find another way of retaining some of the data currently residing on my Centro and desktop.

Along the line of an independent conduit developer jumping in, Mark/Space did this for Palm/Apple computer users a while back, and apparently they have been pretty successful at it. They probably have the wherewithal to connect a Pre to a desktop. But how many small developers out there are going to rewrite their software to run on the Pre and take advantage of a new conduit architecture as well as maintain their legacy software?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12