Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101
  1.    #1  
    I have a 755p since its intro, but built myself a hotshot PC running on vista 64. Guess what? NO USB driver for 64 bit from Palm. Its been years. Nada.
    I cannot synch with anything on my PC and had me dissapointed in Palm big time. Canot even do BT sync as PIM stuff will not somehow sync reliably. And if PIM do not, then the rest just hangs for hours.
    Now, how do I feel about them leaving the entire PC and Mac crowd hangin with no desktop sync????
    Not acceptable.
  2. #2  
    Okay, we get it, some people want desktop sync. This is like the 20th post on the topic, we don't need more.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, we get it, some people want desktop sync. This is like the 20th post on the topic, we don't need more.
    What are you... appointing yourself moderator?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, we get it, some people want desktop sync. This is like the 20th post on the topic, we don't need more.
    It's a slightly different twist, I think.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    I have a 755p since its intro, but built myself a hotshot PC running on vista 64. Guess what? NO USB driver for 64 bit from Palm. Its been years. Nada.
    I cannot synch with anything on my PC and had me dissapointed in Palm big time. Canot even do BT sync as PIM stuff will not somehow sync reliably. And if PIM do not, then the rest just hangs for hours.
    Now, how do I feel about them leaving the entire PC and Mac crowd hangin with no desktop sync????
    Not acceptable.
    For what it's worth, my girlfriend's got a pc with Vista-64 and she syncs via Bluetooth. I think she had to use her old Bluetooth usb adapter, though, instead of her pc's external Bluetooth. Palm didn't seem to like Toshiba's built-in stack.

    Not sure if that's your issue, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. (Obviously, she'd rather sync without using that adapter, but nothing else seemed to work.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  6. #6  
    You know, the more threads about "no bluetooth sync," the better.

    If Palm's reading, they may see the backlash.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    What are you... appointing yourself moderator?
    No but all the actual information is getting buried by all of this hotsync stuff. And its all slight little twists on the same thing, that people are worried about being left behind by no desktop sync.

    And then people wonder why some of the same questions are being asked again...
  8. #8  
    If we are being inundated with so many threads and posts about "the missing sync," I suppose it's noteworthy that so many posters still maintain that the lack of Hotsync is not a big deal.

    Clearly, it matters to a significant number of people. Hopefully, that will be made apparent to the powers that be.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  9.    #9  
    jhoff80, as sombody said here.. you are not a mod.
    If you do not like a particular thread do not open it or care to comment. One more from you and you will go on my ignore list. I think I do not care to listen/read about anything that you might have to say.
    You are welcome to ignore me.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    If we are being inundated with so many threads and posts about "the missing sync," I suppose it's noteworthy that so many posters still maintain that the lack of Hotsync is not a big deal.

    Clearly, it matters to a significant number of people. Hopefully, that will be made apparent to the powers that be.
    Think about where we are - it matters to the people here, who are a self-selected group of people who work to an existing smart phone model - but why do we think Palm cares about those people?

    If palm cared about those people, they would have developed a Palm OS emulator, added an SD slot to the device and provided a desktop sync. At the moment, it seems to be no to all three.

    This isn't a linear upgrade to Palm OS, it's year zero, I think Palm OS users are just having a hard time accepting that (as is often the case) their loyalty is one-way.
  11. #11  
    I think there are some flaws in your logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Think about where we are - it matters to the people here, who are a self-selected group of people who work to an existing smart phone model - but why do we think Palm cares about those people?
    Why do we think Palm cares about these people? Because there are a lot of us and because there are rumors from somewhat respected sources that Palm is developing measures to satisfy or partially address our concerns.

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If palm cared about those people, they would have developed a Palm OS emulator, added an SD slot to the device and provided a desktop sync. At the moment, it seems to be no to all three.
    Some breaks in your chain of logic:

    As you say, it's year zero. Because we haven't seen it does not mean Palm has not worked on it. Because it is not apparent does not mean it is not coming. And even if it is not coming (from Palm), it does not mean it is because Palm does not care about the group that requested it.

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This isn't a linear upgrade to Palm OS, it's year zero, I think Palm OS users are just having a hard time accepting that (as is often the case) their loyalty is one-way.
    Think that all you want. I'm not going to debate why we want Hotsync capabilities. We want them. We've stated why and more reasons are being revealed all the time. Those who just must devote so much energy to attempting to invalidate the feelings and concerns of those who disagree with them are free to do so, I suppose.

    But the people who are whining about Hotsyncers are certainly no better than the Hotsyncers whining because we want to see our needs met.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12.    #12  
    CGK i think the final release version will be a little different.
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post


    Think that all you want. I'm not going to debate why we want Hotsync capabilities. We want them. We've stated why and more reasons are being revealed all the time. Those who just must devote so much energy to attempting to invalidate the feelings and concerns of those who disagree with them are free to do so, I suppose.

    But the people who are whining about Hotsyncers are certainly no better than the Hotsyncers whining because we want to see our needs met.


    In the final analysis, I couldn't give a **** if palm provides hotsync or not, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to hold a position on what they are doing using the information we currently have.

    You could be right and palm could be providing a desktop solution - but I just don't see how anyone comes to those conclusions from the information provided by palm or by *any* interview given by a palm staffer since CES. Could that change? yes it could, but I've seen nothing to support such a change, indeed every interview only seems to provide another link in the chain.

    I just don't see how I am trying to invalidate your concerns if I take the position that palm aren't going to do anything. That's not me saying that I don't think those are logical and valid concerns for legacy users to care about, I'm saying that I just don't think Palm cares which implies nothing about the concerns of the legacy user community.

    I always start from the position of "what is the commerical reason to do X", when I make a guess (and that's all they all), it's using that perspective as a starting point - and that leads me to the conclusion that legacy users are being left out in the cold in regards to their specific needs. I could be 100% wrong but there is no point me saying "I'm sure that palm will come up with something" because I simply don't believe that to be the case. I don't make any value judgement about if those concerns are valid/invalid whining/ non-whining - because I just don't care, it's of no interest to me.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    CGK i think the final release version will be a little different.
    I don't - desktop sync breaks the concept - a third party might (actually that's more than likely a *will* - unless palm are really hardball and the PIM is locked in mass storage mode - that's more hardball than I expect them to be) provide it, Palm will not. They will provide a solution that will

    Either

    a) Desktop >>>>>> generic cloud (exchange, gmail, aol, yahoo etc) >>>> Pre

    or

    b) Desktop >>>>>> Palm online desktop (subscription model) >>>> Pre

    Users will be able to mix and match a and b as they like.

    That's my prediction.

    Look at it this way, you all get to point and laugh when I get this all entirely wrong...
  15. #15  
    I don't care how we got the info from the desktop to the phone. Easily editing Calendar/Contacts/Tasks/Memos on my computer and Syncing it to my device defines what a Palm product is to me. That's the functionality that brought me to Palm in the first place and it's the only thing that's kept me there all these years.

    If it has to be a cloud sync, that's fine. In fact, that'd be even better. I'd love the ability for changes I make on any computer or the phone itself to update everywhere automatically. Ultimately though, I don't care how it ultimately gets on the phone. But without that ability, there are plenty of other products to look at it. To me, the Pre just becomes another brand/model to choose. Brand loyalty goes out the window as it's no longer a "Palm" without this.
  16. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #16  
    You guys are missing the point of this device. The big breakthrough, the great idea Plam has come up with, the thing they spent years developing, is that everything syncs with the cloud. It's a paradigm shift and if this doesn't work for you, then this is clearly not the device for you. Stick with your Centro and hotsync away.
  17. #17  
    the whole paradigm shift is all great and wonderful. It is still has limits especially on top of not having a memory card for backups. Those with the 'you don't like it, go pound sand' can go pound sand yourselves. there's a reason people haven't gone to BB, win mob, symbian, and android. there's a few basic concepts that keep people with Palm. Much of which is taking them to the next generation with Palm. So they'd like to stay with Palm. There's no reason this big shift in syncing has to alienate the very same people who have been loyal palm users for all these years. There's no reason to alienate people who are still more desktop based than cloud based. To say because I'd this big shift, the phone is not for you and to deal with it is just as narrowminded as any ridiculous statement from iphone fanboys and the like. Idiots speak in absolutes, not believing in middle ground. We are a representative sample of palm users. Many. in fact most don't post on forums. So if there is a rather large contingent here that thinks a desktop sync is necessary, then imagine how many users there are out there who think the same way. And I'm sure many of them aren't as tech savvy as people on here are. I know the people I work with aren't and the all use PD. Heck, one still has dial up.

    The Pre is supposed to be intuitive. Well it's not intuitive when you're forcing everyone to abandon the way they're used to doing things, especially when it works well for them.

    I actually posted on the palm blog, but I wasn't surprised to not see the post get approved. guess they felt it was too negative.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #18  
    The Pre is supposed to be intuitive. Well it's not intuitive when you're forcing everyone to abandon the way they're used to doing things, especially when it works well for them.
    There is a missing factor in here that none of us have access to - Palm's internal projected numbers for this device. We know that analysts think that they have to shift @ two million of them in the first year to hit the financial numbers that Evalution partners have been talking about. My *guess* is that they are gambling on hitting enough of a mainstream audience + those who don't mind switching from legacy platform (and I'm on a legacy platform myself) to negate the impact of those who don't want to shift. Palm is also to an extend hedging it's bets by still offering the centro - so those who don't want to shift still have a "modern" Palm OS device.

    If that is the plan, you'll know it's failed when they do a rapid about face and offer a desktop sync.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    You guys are missing the point of this device. The big breakthrough, the great idea Plam has come up with, the thing they spent years developing, is that everything syncs with the cloud. It's a paradigm shift and if this doesn't work for you, then this is clearly not the device for you. Stick with your Centro and hotsync away.
    I kind of think this whole thing is a little bit of a sham. Your telling me Palm spent years revolutionizing syncing with a cloud? How is this any different then syncing with an Exchange server or a service like mobileme?
  20. #20  
    It's easy for Calendar syncing:

    Outlook <-> gsyng (freeware) <-> Google Calendar <-> Pre

    I didn't check the way to sync contacts, right now, but I asume ther will by a tool to do it.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions