Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I keep reading comments about concerned Splash ID users but have not seen any proponents of "the cloud" commenting that its a valid concern. I LOVE the pre but there's no way I'm synching my splash ID data OTA. Does anybody know anything that addresses this concern?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmy600 View Post
    I keep reading comments about concerned Splash ID users but have not seen any proponents of "the cloud" commenting that its a valid concern.
    It's a very valid concern, many people don't want that sort of information online and will not be compelled to do so.

I LOVE the pre but there's no way I'm synching my splash ID data OTA. Does anybody know anything that addresses this concern?
    nothing.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's a very valid concern, many people don't want that sort of information online and will not be compelled to do so.

nothing.
    Ahh... the irony. Same people who don't want to put their information on the web transmit it every day when they enter passwords into websites. Keyloggers, spoof sites, etc. Encryption is encryption. 256bit encryption properly implemented is SAFE. If people don't want personal information on the web, they better move to the South Pole and learn how to ice fish. It's all about minimizing risk, not eliminating it.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Ahh... the irony. Same people who don't want to put their information on the web transmit it every day when they enter passwords into websites. Keyloggers, spoof sites, etc. Encryption is encryption. 256bit encryption properly implemented is SAFE. If people don't want personal information on the web, they better move to the South Pole and learn how to ice fish. It's all about minimizing risk, not eliminating it.
    Hey you are preaching to the converted but that doesn't mean that people don't have a right to want to have more control over their data - as illusionary as that idea might be.

Personally I'm quite happy to sync that stuff online - and look here...

http://www.splashid.com
    I don't keep my Social Security number, house alarm keycode, and other info like that on-line. I don't care how "safe" you think it is.
    We are talking about peoples most sensitive data here.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I don't keep my Social Security number, house alarm keycode, and other info like that on-line. I don't care how "safe" you think it is.
    I agree mobileman. I want to control MY data on MY PC. If that makes me an old fart, so be it.

One other point - I looked at the SpashID Live website. This is just one more instance where a software publisher wants to turn it's stand alone program into a never ending revenue stream. I DON"T WANT TO BE CONNECTED ALL OF THE TIME. Only when I choose. If your software requires me to be connected in order to work, adios.

End of grumpy old man rant.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post

One other point - I looked at the SpashID Live website. This is just one more instance where a software publisher wants to turn it's stand alone program into a never ending revenue stream. I DON"T WANT TO BE CONNECTED ALL OF THE TIME. Only when I choose. If your software requires me to be connected in order to work, adios.
    I completely agree - from a consumer point of view it's just an attempt to lock you into providing a steady revenue stream for the company - that sucks.

However, if I was running a company, that's *just* what I'd be doing....
    I also hate paying for subscription services. I don't mind buying software (even expensive software), but generally I avoid anything with a monthly fee.
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, but logging into a website does not give anyone access to, let's say, my pin number at the atm, my secret password that I'm asked if my alarm goes off at home, my Mom's alarm code, etc. etc. I actually have a very primitive encryption I use rather than entering actual passwords on my splash id, for fear that somehow, if my phone is stolen, some nerd hack might be able to get my splash id from some well-concealed archive on the phone. Still, I don't want that information stored on some web site.
    John 3:16
    I've been doing splash id "file syncing" for a while now. I have a 680 and a xp laptop. I use splashid desktop sync to my 680 - just like everyone else here. It's easy and simple.

Now my wife has splashID on her Mac. I can't sync my 680 to her Mac without screwing things up - her calendar, etc. So I open splashID, export to vid file. The file has the same encryption as the regular database and I can use the same or different password. I can do it from my treo, the laptop or the mac. I can do all records or selected records.

I then take the file and transfer from my treo to the mac. I can use cardreader to turn my treo into a usb drive (like the Pre), drag my file into the Mac. Or I can email it (I don't for security) Then I import it into splashId on the Mac.

Is this easy one button sync, no. But I can do it on a Pre to laptop or Mac just the same way. No cloud involved. Yes, it is not true sync. But I have the data, local off my treo. Manually sync'd by me. That's the goal.

I think this cloud term is really confusing people, it's just semantics. If you use a cloud service, your data is in 2 places (or more) at the same time. Your data is synchronized in different places. If you don't want your data to travel through a 3rd party or based on a 3rd party server (i.e. the cloud), do it local yourself. Either with import or export, or pressure the developer of the app to make an automated file based process. Be the cloud. No one says you have to use someone else's.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I've been doing splash id "file syncing" for a while now. I have a 680 and a xp laptop. I use splashid desktop sync to my 680 - just like everyone else here. It's easy and simple.

Now my wife has splashID on her Mac. I can't sync my 680 to her Mac without screwing things up - her calendar, etc. So I open splashID, export to vid file. The file has the same encryption as the regular database and I can use the same or different password. I can do it from my treo, the laptop or the mac. I can do all records or selected records.

I then take the file and transfer from my treo to the mac. I can use cardreader to turn my treo into a usb drive (like the Pre), drag my file into the Mac. Or I can email it (I don't for security) Then I import it into splashId on the Mac.

Is this easy one button sync, no. But I can do it on a Pre to laptop or Mac just the same way. No cloud involved. Yes, it is not true sync. But I have the data, local off my treo. Manually sync'd by me. That's the goal.

I think this cloud term is really confusing people, it's just semantics. If you use a cloud service, your data is in 2 places (or more) at the same time. Your data is synchronized in different places. If you don't want your data to travel through a 3rd party or based on a 3rd party server (i.e. the cloud), do it local yourself. Either with import or export, or pressure the developer of the app to make an automated file based process. Be the cloud. No one says you have to use someone else's.
    You are assuming there will be a native SplashID program. SplashData might expect people to access their cloud services through the Palm browser and not store any information locally. It might be difficult for SplashID to be written in html and javascript.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I don't mind sync-ing (cloud-ing) SplashID data (which is encrypted) over the net. What I do mind is having to use someone else's site to keep it on. Why can't I sync (cloud) to my own site? (Maybe WebDAV?) I'd love it if SplashID on a Pre and on my PC both sync-ed (cloud-ed) to MY website.

On that note, I am certainly hoping that I'll be able to do the same thing for calendar, contacts and just about everything else. I really don't want to use gmail or exchange.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why can't I sync (cloud) to my own site? (Maybe WebDAV?)
    How do they hit you up for an annual subscription? how do they lock you in if you control the information?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You are assuming there will be a native SplashID program. SplashData might expect people to access their cloud services through the Palm browser and not store any information locally. It might be difficult for SplashID to be written in html and javascript.
    If they won't, resco will.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    I don't mind sync-ing (cloud-ing) SplashID data (which is encrypted) over the net. What I do mind is having to use someone else's site to keep it on. Why can't I sync (cloud) to my own site? (Maybe WebDAV?) I'd love it if SplashID on a Pre and on my PC both sync-ed (cloud-ed) to MY website.

On that note, I am certainly hoping that I'll be able to do the same thing for calendar, contacts and just about everything else. I really don't want to use gmail or exchange.
    Here you go:

http://barracudadrive.net/blog/2008/...-Linksys-NSLU2

barracudadrive has a plugin to get iCal working and a $69 windows based solution for your desktop. I just might get this one myself.

If necessary... I'll have my bro look into something we can use on our own servers (we use nothing but IMAP servers anyway)...

These threads and this new gadget has made wonder about what information I have on my phone and what I consider *private* information...

(even with Google... I don't need it because I can rely on iCal / Missing SYnc / T680 phone... then again I don't want TO PAY for another service when my bro and I can set something up... I am a Mac user BUT WILL NEVER PAY for mobileme, etc...)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    as i posted earlier - why not just create/use an MS Word Document with password/encryption security and Docs To Go Premium? this way, your data isn't locked into proprietary closed black box prc/pdb apps such as e-wallet and splash id?
    splashId just works and is easier. Great licensing - 1 time fee multiple devices. My non-tech wife uses it, I would not let her loose on a spreadsheet or tabbed doc with jumbles of numbers. besides any document you edit with MS word or excel - can stay in cached clipboard-ish file unencrypted. (Ever have windows crash while working on a word doc and after a reboot word recovers your file - that's where it's coming from)

use a password protected/encrypted word doc and put it out on the cloiud and you can access it anywhere from virtually and kind of device. all you need is MS Word or equivalent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast