Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    How do they hit you up for an annual subscription? how do they lock you in if you control the information?
    I admit that I may be missing something, but if you are referring to Palm getting the fee, I don't buy the fact that cloud only sync is an attempt by Palm to force annual subscription fees on customers for the sake of additional Palm revenue fees. Why would they build in outlook Exchange compatibility at no profit to Palm? Its also been asserted that cloud dependence is part of an effort by Palm to keep users from canceling data plans so as to make the carrier happy, which I find to be equally silly since the Pre has WiFi, plus I don't think there is any evidence that treo/centro users of any significant numbers are currently walking around with neutered (No data) phones.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I admit that I may be missing something, but if you are referring to Palm getting the fee, I don't buy the fact that cloud only sync is an attempt by Palm to force annual subscription fees on customers for the sake of additional Palm revenue fees.
    No I'm refering to splashID getting a fee - they already off an on-line version of the program at http://www.splashid.com - the cost of splash ID for the desktop is $29, once you buy it, you could use it for two,three, four, five years - it's cost you $29 dollars. Splash ID online is $19 a year and the company hits you for that every year.

From a commerical standpoint, if companies can push you towards an subscription model it's better for them. You'd get the app for free and pay for the subscription.

Let's take another company with a long-term palm history - Chapura. They provide a desktop sync app - again, you pay once and can use that as much as you like.

This is what they provide for the iphone

http://www.chapura.com/keytasksiphone.php

A MyChapura account is included with your yearly subscription of KeyTasks. MyChapura is an online service that provides "cloud" synchronization of Microsoft Outlook Tasks and KeyTasks on the iPhone or iPod touch. MyChapura stores your information on our Web servers. This is commonly referred to as the "cloud." When you make a change in Outlook or on your device and synchronize, that change is sent up to the cloud. Your iPhone or iPod touch will receive this change when you synchronize and your PC can be configured to manually or automatically synchronize. This allows you to keep your information current in multiple places no matter where you are.
    Why are they going to hit a pre owner for a one-off fee for desktop software, when they can try and push you online to infrastructure they already own and have to pay for (and the more people get on, the cheaper per user it becomes for them)?
    CGK: Thanks, understood.
    No I'm refering to splashID getting a fee - they already off an on-line version of the program at http://www.splashid.com - the cost of splash ID for the desktop is $29, once you buy it, you could use it for two,three, four, five years - it's cost you $29 dollars. Splash ID online is $19 a year and the company hits you for that every year.

From a commerical standpoint, if companies can push you towards an subscription model it's better for them. You'd get the app for free and pay for the subscription.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I should point out, I'm *not* saying this is a good thing or even a desirable thing, just how I think it's going to go down. Seriously, everything I read about it and the more I dig into it, it all makes sense as a whole (from a commerical and organisational point of view).
    I'm no programmer and so I don't know how easy or good security this is, but since this is a phone so it has a mic, you should be able to use a voice analysis. For the set up you say your passcode/phrase and do it a second time to ensure the voice recording is about the same as the first. Then when you try to get access into the sensitive data it will come up saying speak your passcode/phrase and has to match the voice recorder from the first time set up. (If your voice is sick or something, then you can have an option for setting up a text password) I know people can probably hear you but it shouldn't matter because its trying to match your voice, not the word.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    How do they hit you up for an annual subscription? how do they lock you in if you control the information?
    Exactly. Converting from stand alone programs (on any platform - PC or handheld) to a service model shifts the leverage of the buy/sell relationship to the seller. It basically lowers the competition. Of course, the software publisher has to get you to subscribe first, so there is competition there. But once you have made the decision, it's less likely you will move to a different solution in the future.

The most common example of this is anti-virus programs. Remember when you bought an anti-virus program and then downloaded virus id updates? Then the emphasis shifted from buying the program to buying an annual subscription service - and magically every year around renewal time there is a "new and improved" version of the program that must be purchased besides the subscription renewal.

This is the direction Microsoft is headed. Guess what? You will be paying $20 a month to use Office from now until. It's like buying Office every year. I am making up this $20 number, but you can bet Microsoft has something like this in mind.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    This is the direction Microsoft is headed. Guess what? You will be paying $20 a month to use Office from now until. It's like buying Office every year. I am making up this $20 number, but you can bet Microsoft has something like this in mind.

http://www.officelive.com/?cloc=en-GB (if you sign up, you'll get to test the online version of office when it's announced) will be the portal and you'll pay for subscription to that and the desktop version of office will be thrown in. Microsoft is a mess compared to google when it comes to putting their online offerings in one place - everything from google can be accessed from one place - microsoft, let see:

Livemesh - cracking bit of software, syncs between multiple desktops and also stores the files online in your account (5gb) but wait that doesn't talk to...

Skydrive - 20gb online storage which doesn't talk to...

Liveoffice - 2gb of document storage... and on and on...

Why don't all of those things use the same storage space? why am I going to three different websites to put the same file in three different places?

Why can't microsoft get it's act together?
    I must have missed it....where exactly did Splash Data say that Splash ID would Sync Via the Cloud rather than writing a file to memory which could be accessed by the desktop client via Mass USB? (or at least offer it as an option)

doesn't seem all that complicated to me....maybe I just don't get it.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I must have missed it....where exactly did Splash Data say that Splash ID would Sync Via the Cloud rather than writing a file to memory which could be accessed by the desktop client via Mass USB? (or at least offer it as an option)

doesn't seem all that complicated to me....maybe I just don't get it.
    They've never said that - this is purely guesswork on our part using the fact that the pre is a cloud based phone as a basis for speculation.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Let's take another company with a long-term palm history - Chapura. They provide a desktop sync app - again, you pay once and can use that as much as you like.

This is what they provide for the iphone

http://www.chapura.com/keytasksiphone.php

Why are they going to hit a pre owner for a one-off fee for desktop software, when they can try and push you online to infrastructure they already own and have to pay for (and the more people get on, the cheaper per user it becomes for them)?
    Wasn't Chapura listed as one of the partners listed at CES? This is likely Palm's plan to sync with the cloud. Like you said, for a yearly fee.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Wasn't Chapura listed as one of the partners listed at CES? This is likely Palm's plan to sync with the cloud. Like you said, for a yearly fee.
    Yes, chapura already have cloud infrastructure - their products for the iphone are cloud based and.. yes you guessed it subscription based. From an organisational perspective, the more people you can push into the cloud, the cheaper the infrastructure per user becomes and the higher your margins are. So if they can push pre users onto their existing cloud infrastructure, they can reduce the cost per use, increase margins and also have a more steady revenue stream - because you would pay on a yearly basis.

Someone else suggested that the most sensible thing for palm to do would be to run, for wont of a better word, a portal and for you to add on splash id, chapura's offering etc via them. That might be a bit too radical for some of those companies.
    They've never said that - this is purely guesswork on our part using the fact that the pre is a cloud based phone as a basis for speculation.
    ahhh.
    ok thank you.
    I thought I had missed something.
    I definately wouldn't want sensitive information "out there" if I didn't have to.
    but admittedly, its more of an irrational fear than anything. Web encryption is pretty secure for the most part........
    While some are chafing at the idea of an annual license fee for cloud applications such as SplashData, I see this as akin to having to pay for upgrades.

There are a number of third-party applications I have upgraded multiple times over the years, sometimes due to significant improvements to the app and sometimes due to new device incompatibility with existing version.

Should developers get excited about webOS, it is possible a freeware application of this sort might come along from some other developer. There are presently a number of freeware competitors to SplashID; none of them have a desktop component. You get what you pay for.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12